skymama

My new Hornet

Hey everyone-
A friend of mine just helped me order my first rig- infinity container, Hornet190, PD 176 reserve, and cypress. Whoohoo!
Anyway, I was wondering how differently my Hornet is going to fly compared to what I am used to. I've heard that it is similar to the Sabre. A couple of weekends ago, I jumped a Sabre230, and last Saturday I jumped a Spectre210. So far, I've been comfortable with moving down from the big rigs, and I figure since I have 8 weeks until I get my rig, I'll have enough time to get used to a 190.
My question is, am I going to notice a big difference in the way a 190 will fly compared to a 210, since it is getting closer on down to the 1:1 wingload ratio? With it being a smaller main and different manufacturer, what may I notice on the openings, turns, speed, and landings?
Blue Ones-
Andrea
A-37148

Hi Andrea
Maybe this will be of some comfort to you. I made a demo jump on a Hornet '170 this past weekend. My main that I normally jump is a Cruiselite '220, this was my first jump with anything smaller (and 9 cells). It was really (surprizingly) easy. I threw in some '360 s and they were fun, not scary at all. I had been a bit worried beforehand about landing it, but it was really not a problem.
I have also asked for advice from knowledgeable people (thank you Chuck Blue and the Gear and Rigging forum) and the Hornet was quite well regarded.
I'm getting mine the end of June and I can hardly wait (but don't tell anybody, because I am too cheap to buy beer!;))
/s

Thanks, Screamer, that does help. I did read the comments on the forum before I bought it and saw that people were happy with it. I guess I am mostly concerned about moving down to the smaller rig again and the changes it will have before I get in the air with it and say, "oh shit, what was I thinking!" :S

Well that's good. (That it's going to be a tight fit.... not that you don't know the size. :o) I just asked because I just got an Infinity (I-55) with a Triathlon 190 and a PD193 reserve and I've been having a problem with how the container fits me. I haven't been able to jump it yet because I tore the ligaments in my knee last month but on the ground the container seemed to be coming up too high on me and interfering in my head movement. When I'd lay on the ground with the rig on and my helmet, I wouldn't hardly be able to lift my head up. I've just gotten it back again from Infinity (Kelly Farrington is great for customer service!) and it seems a bit better now. I'm anxious to jump it and see how it actually is in the air. I might try having someone my size try it out while I'm waiting. It sounds like yours might be the next size smaller and that, if not, even having a smaller reserve would make a difference. I'm wishing I got a 176 now. I love everything else about the Infinity. It is very well made and is very easy to pack and the riser covers are way cool. My husband ordered one too and it is on it's way here. I hope it comes soon because he calls me from work about 10 times a day asking if it arrived yet! :)Blue ones,
Donna

Your new Hornet will be a bit quicker in the turns than a similar-sized Sabre and will turf surf slightly farther.
When down-sizing to a smaller main canopy it is a good idea to think through your landing pattern long before you have to fly it. The key to surviving under any canopy is keeping your mind ahead of the canopy.
A good place to start is the canopy control exercises in Skydive University's "Basic Canopy Flight 101" or CSPA's Coach 2 Manual. Do all of the exercises with your current canopy, then repeat them with your new Hornet. If you are serious about learning how your canopy flies, you will soon be better than most self-proclaimed "Stiletto pilots."

Hi Andrea:
I think you'll do fine on the Hornet 190. You should have no problem flying and landing a canopy at 1:1 safely, and personally I think you're actually better off being around 1:1 rather than being far below that because the canopy will be more stable. At our DZ we've actually been known to put 1st jump students out on a Hornet 170 because with the high gusty winds we seem to have most weekends at our DZ they'd be getting tossed around and being blown backwards on a giant 288 sq foot manta. Just make sure to open nice and high and practice your flare and all the control surfaces so you'll know how it will react when you go to land it and be ready to PLF in case you get it wrong.

I would say, don't worry much about a 1.1 wing loading, if you have a fair number of jumps off your student rig. It is a loading that can hurt you, but it will also be able to lift you up more than you are used too and be a better choice in wind. I preach accuracy and proper flair. So if you are careful with that, you will have a ball.
Infinity is a great choice. I suppose I am predjudice, I fly a denim infinity. Way cool rig, and one off. If you have any trouble at all, tell me, and I will walk upstairs and make sure Kelly and Mikey get it right. Not that I could tell them something they don't allready know...

I preach accuracy and proper flair. So if you are careful with that, you will have a ball.

You don't know how funny that is! I have huge bruises on my kness, from flairing too low this weekend. I think I overcompensated because on my earlier jumps, I was flairing too high. Hopefully I'll get it right before I cripple myself! :D
Andrea

Hey Donna-
Hope your knee heels soon. I guess I'm lucky I didn't blow mine out on Saturday. I'm looking forward to getting my rig too. Mine is navy with fuchsia accents, trimmed in black, and my main has those colors too. I was coordinating it and my jumpsuit (white and navy with fuchsia grips) all around my navy helmet. You know, accessorizing one's outfit is very important! :D
Andrea

You know, accessorizing one's outfit is very important! :D

ROFL! When I was getting ready to purchase my gear, another jumper I know (male) told me, yeah you'll probably want to get everything all color-coordinated like most females...
LOL - Well, true...if I wanted to wait another four weeks I could have gotten my Hornet in my favorite color combo for gear: Black, red, and neon yellow. Then it would have matched my container. I didn't care though. Doesn't matter much to me personally as long as its safe, comfortable and all that jazz.
Guess I could get some patch pants and really get crazy!
Sis
"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell