Grommet Size (toggles/closing flaps)

Hi Shredex & Lee,

see loyd and hodges

Typos are allowed. :P

Grommet sources:

http://www.lordandhodge.com/

http://www.csosborne.com/

http://www.mauritzon.net/index.html

What are the standard size(s) used for toggles and closing flaps on a container?

As Lee mentioned, the de facto standard is #0, roll rim, spur, stainless steel, grommet & washer.

However, it really could be whatever any given mfr wants to use.

Jerry Baumchen

So, I only need a few grommets. 8 at the least, maybe 25 for fun...
If anyone would like to sell me 25 sets of the grommets that'd be awesome. L&H only sells a gross of 144 sets...and I don't feel like spending $50 on a couple grommets at the moment lol

JerryBaumchen

Thanks, man! Email sent!
EDIT: I actually found that I can individually order them from Paragear so you don't have to do extra work and send me any, Jerry! Thanks for offering up, though!

I tried cheaping out with the basic #0 grommets because this rig was just for practice...but those failed pretty quickly lol(See Attached)

Hi Shred,

those failed

Are you sure that you are using the proper setter for the type of grommets that you are wanting to set.

This might be your problem; but I'm not there,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And you would be amazed at how many grommets I've set over the years without putting the washer on. >:(

JerryBaumchen

Are you sure that you are using the proper setter for the type of grommets that you are wanting to set. >:(

Yup, was a cheapo L&H grommet kit I got off amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y68Y/
Again, was just a practice rig I made to store my extra canopy so didn't care if I used cheap parts(except when they fail lol)

I ordered the "#1070-0 Inserting Die" just this morning from L&H directly. They said that's the one I needed for the #0 RRSW Stainless Steel grommets. Only $18.39! Same die set on Paragear is like $50!
B|

I'm with Jerry. The cheap ones at Paragear for nickel and brass are CS Osborne.
http://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/product_detail.php?p_id=868

The high quality ones that will do stainless are from Stimpson.
http://www.stimpson.com/machinery/hand-drive-tools/

I'm not clear on the relationship between the two now. Jerry has said Stimpson sends you to CS Osborne. But I don't see the Stimpson ones (painted blue anvil) I have on the Osborne web site.

You can get them cheaper than ParaGear but not for $20.

Your failed grommet looks more like the hole was too big. 1/4" for number 0. It seems too small when you try to insert the grommet. If you work hard you can get by with hole punch set from Harbor Freight. Yeah, yeah but it work and you can keep them sharp with a small round stone. If your doing a lot get a dedicated punch.

BTW for your practice stuff just use nickel plated brass. Much easier to set. Especially with cheaper tools.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Re: $18.39 dies

I thought the regular cheap dies will work fine for a Stainless Steel grommet -- when it is a little #0 one. Not for a commercial production line perhaps, but entirely usable at home. And if the die ever wears or chips or whatever, a replacement is cheap.

Someone with more experience than my occasional #0 SS smacking may have a more informed and different opinion?

JerryBaumchen

Best of luck with it,

Hope it works! lol Just need it for a couple grommets so not worth the $150 investment!

councilman24

Your failed grommet looks more like the hole was too big. 1/4" for number 0. It seems too small when you try to insert the grommet.

I used the hole-punch that came with the grommets. It fit fine. It wasn't until I put a load on it, while closing the container, that the none-spur washer just kinda slid slowly to the one side.

pchapman

I thought the regular cheap dies will work fine for a Stainless Steel grommet -- when it is a little #0 one. Not for a commercial production line perhaps, but entirely usable at home.

We'll find out in a week once my order arrives! :P

Hi Terry,

Jerry has said Stimpson sends you to CS Osborne.

It's a moving target. Quite some time ago ( year or more ) I bought some SS grommets directly from Stimpson.

Recently they ( Stimpson ) have been sending me elsewhere for nickle plated grommets.

I found these guys to have good prices & service/delivery: http://www.mauritzon.net/index.html

Jerry Baumchen

pchapman

Re: $18.39 dies

I thought the regular cheap dies will work fine for a Stainless Steel grommet -- when it is a little #0 one. Not for a commercial production line perhaps, but entirely usable at home. And if the die ever wears or chips or whatever, a replacement is cheap.

Someone with more experience than my occasional #0 SS smacking may have a more informed and different opinion?

It'll set a couple of grommets, but the stainless will damage the die very quickly. I ruined mine in less than a half dozen grommets.

The picture of the slipped grommet with the green loop and safety pin: Your grommet looks suspiciously like a smooth, "no tooth/non spur" grommet. Must have spur grommets for parachute work of any kind. The smooth ones will always slip under a load. They are just for tarps and covers and such.

Hi Quag

whether nickel plated brass grommets are suitable for 3 ring risers

The original 3-ring risers were made of 1 3/4" Type 8 webbing and used a #2 spur grommet.

Almost all 3-ring risers today are made of 1" Type 17 webbing.

The #2 grommet would reach through all of the webbing. The standard #0 grommets were not long enough to reach through all of the webbing. So the #0 LR ( Long Reach ) grommet was developed ( one mfr is having #0 grommets made just for them in an Extra Long Reach form ). The #0 LR grommet ( I think ) is only available in SS.

The early 3-ring risers used a #2 nickle plated grommet.

Does that answer your question?

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

The standard #0 grommets were not long enough to reach through all of the webbing. So the #0 LR ( Long Reach ) grommet was developed ...

You learn something every day on dropzone.com! None of my risers are mini, so I never really noticed how they are getting away with using #0. I just know that I haven't heard of a mini riser breaking lately because of needing to remove so much material for a big old grommet.

JerryBaumchen

The early 3-ring risers used a #2 nickle plated grommet.

Does that answer your question?

Jerry Baumchen

Yep, thanks. I wanted to make some risers to go with my canopy, but my local grommet supplier does not make SS grommets. What about nickel plated brass grommets on sliders though? Why don't we do that?

Hi Jerry, You can get nickel plated brass #0 LR and #0 LLR grommets from Stimpson. I needed a few for a project and they had them. I couldn't find a distributor who would sell me less than a gross so Stimpson sent me a dozen as a sample batch to "test".