gowlerk

Sewing machine score

This showed up in a local Kijjiji ad:
[inline 132k6.jpg]

132k6 in nice shape and complete. $200. Canadian. I did not haggle! I have to brag about it here because no one in my real world understands why I would be happy, especially the wife.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Somebody had no idea of what they were selling.

He said he bought it a couple years ago on impulse from someone who had been using it for sewing heavy bags closed on a farm nearby. He's a car restorer and thought he would use it for upholstery. But he never got around to it and his wife said it was taking up too much space, so out it went!

If you need any thoughts on how to set it up, just drop me a line.

I may be doing that, after I buy some 5 cord and start trying to learn to use it. It has a thread lubricator on top, would you bother using it? And would you just use machine oil?

Thanks
Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Ken,

He said he bought it a couple years ago on impulse from someone who had been using it for sewing heavy bags closed on a farm nearby

Many years ago I bought a Class 7 machine for $200 from a farmer who had used it to sew leather. I sold it for a little more than I paid for it. :P

Re: It has a thread lubricator on top, would you bother using it?

Mine does not have this feature, so I have never used them. However, some people do and would never sew without lubing the thread.

Re: And would you just use machine oil?

Yup.

I wasted a lot of time when I first bought mine trying to find the right needle. I finally went to a #27 and have never looked back.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Do you know how to set the stitches per inch?

Personal email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

PS) Do you know how to set the stitches per inch?

I do. My research says that some times people have problem with the stitch length holding or adjusting. This one adjusts easily, time will tell if it holds. It came with a supply of 214x1 needles in size 23 and 216x1 in size 26.

councilman24

You suck sir.B| Of course I got a like new Juki Lk1900a bartacker for $1400, so there.:P

Good score and we do understand.

I hate the two of you for the deals you found. I had to pay a bit more for my Consew SK-6F(clone of the 132-K6). Been using it lately to repair the covers for the exercise blocks at my gym. Love the machine.

Terry, $1400 for a 1900, :o.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

DOD liquidation auction paired with a consew 199-2 that I also needed. Had to bid sight unseen but they had video of the Juki running on line. A little time working on the tensions and it was truly like new. 1900A-HS;) Oh, and replace the eye guard. Consew in good shape too.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You came to the right place. I have been looking for a Consew 206 or 226 or singer walking foot deal to come along for along time and I look every day on Tempest with does a radius search. I have came close but you have to catch them right away. But I do not even know what I am doing yet. Leatherworkers.net is where I have learned most of what I know. I hope when I get one I have that talent to run it. Want to just to Boat seats and custom Covers and such.

Excited for you. Good purchase!!
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Oh my, very nice !!!

Some people just don't get it.
We have gotten some pretty odd looks & laughs from some non skydivers when they saw the machine I bought for my HUSBAND...initially for rigging...till they saw what he can do with it.

He reciprocated by buying me a 1952 beauty, last month.

I still have my Brother stand by, for fancy jobs...
buy I really love these ol' work horse Singers :)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Sean,

This is what they go for new.

Spendy little buggers aren't they?

A good used Singer 132K6 will go for about $1200; if you can find one. Then you will probably have to put a few bucks into it for odds & ends.

Jerry Baumchen

I have found 3 so far. All were demilled navy sewing machines with little wear. One has been sold. One is sitting in my garage, and one is set up for use. Really like how smooth it sews.

What have you done/added to your machine?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

He reciprocated by buying me a 1952 beauty, last month.

That black 1952 Singer is a model 201-2. From the '30s to late late 50's it was the top of the line domestic Singer. The one everyone wanted, but not everyone could afford. Often called "the machinist's machine" because of the very high build quality, and the use of ball bearings where lesser machines used plain bearings. This was at a time when every household had to have a sewing machine, and it was used at least every week. They aren't hard to find now, because they made a lot of them. Most work just like new once they are cleaned up a little.

I learned to sew on my Mom's identical machine, though hers was a table top model.
She made all of our (me & my 5 sisters) school clothes back in the day & continued using it frequently till she died in 2003.
It was over 50 years old & still worked beautifully !
I wish I had hers, but after she died, it seemed to have vanished :(

Hi Sean,

What have you done/added to your machine?

Not a lot. When I bought it, it only had feed dogs on the left side of the needle/presser foot. This caused the webbing to want to go to the right as you were sewing. So I located some feed dogs & a presser foot so I have some feed dogs just behind the needle and to the right side of the needle.

About 10 yrs ago, I had a local machinist take some material off of the right side of the presser foot so that I could just align the edge of the presser foot with the edge of the webbing and the needle would be where I wanted it in relation to the edge of the webbing, see the attached photo.

I have also built a new, larger table, added some new pedals, and she's been good to go for many years now.

Jerry Baumchen

I'm still a newbie to skydiving but I've been making costumes for fun the last few years. Found this Juki DDL-555 for all of $200, dropped everything and drove 2 hours to go pick it up from NE Chattanooga.

I'd like to learn more about rigging now that I'm hooked on skydiving, how much of a handicap is it to not have a walking foot machine? :D

If you can't convince them, keep them confused.

drjump

Cradock--Make me an offer on my Consew 226-head, stand, and motor. In sewing condition, located in Tx.

I live in Wisconsin so it would not be much of an offer. Sorry. I was looking at a 206rb-3 head on ebay that no one bid on for like 3 autions straight in Texas. It was advertised poorly and the pic was from the back but I would have jumped on it if closer. I meant to mention it on here but did not want to steer a newbie wrong and also I do not see the 206 or 226 mentioned much here. I have found some deals on a 225 but I really want to have reverse. Good luck with your machine. Hard to ship one ecomomically.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.