skinnyflyer

1990s canadian fatalities

i wasn't sure were to post this.

i was just reading skydiving magazine and came accross this;

"The new focus on student training reportedly is a consequence of five fatal accidents involving students that occurred at one Canadian drop zone over a six-year span in the 1990s."

"A CSPA official said the accidents occurred at a non-CSPA facility run by a man "who thumbed his nose" at the organization and the government."

being canadian i would like to know which dz/operator this was so i can avoid it and him.
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

i wasn't sure were to post this.

i was just reading skydiving magazine and came accross this;

"The new focus on student training reportedly is a consequence of five fatal accidents involving students that occurred at one Canadian drop zone over a six-year span in the 1990s."

"A CSPA official said the accidents occurred at a non-CSPA facility run by a man "who thumbed his nose" at the organization and the government."

being canadian i would like to know which dz/operator this was so i can avoid it and him.

That dropzone know as Skydive Ranch outside of Calgary has not been in operation for a couple years. There is a different dropzone running out of the same location but it is owned and operated by professionals and are members of CSPA.

I drove 3.5 hours because I would not jump at Skydive Ranch which was only 1 hour away.
I gladly jump at Alberta Skydivers. Good people, safe, professional.

Edit to add: This really shouldn't be in the Incidents forum, probably General Skydiving would have been better because it is not an Incident. Be sure to read the stickies at the top of a forum before posting. You'll keep the moderators happy and reduce their work load. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Which place was worse, do you think:

The old DZ in Canada, or the one in Oregon that was run by Ted Mayfield?

Sorry but I can't answer that intelligently - I know nothing about the one in Oregon that was run by Ted Mayfield.

All I know is that Skydive Ranch was the focus of several legal inquirys becuase they had a questionable record with student fatalities. These were heavily discussed at the time in the Incidents forum.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hi Ian,

I know nothing about the one in Oregon that was run by Ted Mayfield.

Well, I do. I made most of my jumps at his two dz's; the one in Donald, OR & the one in Sheridan, OR.

If you hear a wild-n-crazy story about either of them, consider it about 98% true.

Wild times; but NO place for a student. I NEVER sent a student to any of his dz's. NEVER!!!!!

Jerry

Actually only 2 of the fatalities occurred in the 1990's

As Ian said the Previous operator sold the facilities ,and is no longer involved with the operation, the DZ is now CSPA
We held our Provincial Championships there last summer.