Deyan

"Who" invented "what" in skydiving?

chuckakers

Sandy Reid, Rigging Innovations....

Velcroless pin covers and riser covers (tuck tabs)

Articulated harness (chest and hip rings)

Bio-curv

Bio- yoke

he also had a BOC when Bill Booth had a leg pouch
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Mike Melvin invented the BOC in early 70's. I have it in my closet. He also had a pud on it instead of a plastic pipe, or wiffle ball.
Bill Buchman invented the 6 flap reserve container to separate the pilot chute from the canopy.
Mike Sirisole (sp) invented the curved pin in mid 70's
Some Russian was jumping at Jean Paul's around 73. He threw his stuff on the ground, then shoved it in the bag. I asked him how that worked. "I not buy it" was his answer. I never flaked, straightened etc after that. So I believe he invented the trash pack.
Gary and Joe Dupris laced two B4 harness together in the 60's and jumped one main and one reserve.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

chuckakers

Sandy Reid, Rigging Innovations....

Hi Chuck,

Do you know which year Sandy made his tuck tab riser covers?
The earliest rig having those I've seen is an Atom from '89.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Deyan

***Sandy Reid, Rigging Innovations....

Hi Chuck,

Do you know which year Sandy made his tuck tab riser covers?
The earliest rig having those I've seen is an Atom from '89.

The Talon Tongue (main pin cover closing tab) was introduced in '86 or '87 and the concept was adapted for riser covers a short time later. Pretty sure Sandy holds the US patent for parachute tension-type locking tabs. Not sure what all it covers.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Actually, John Sherman invented the Dacron/Spectra main and reserve ripcord with bungee core, for retractability in '78-'79. North American tried it for a short while on the Condor. Para Flite and Jump Shack both rejected it due to wear concerns. John also invented the Pull-out, the first integrated piggy back harness container system, Pro-Packing, first bag on a square parachute, Teflon cutaway cables, the first true (fully) elliptical parachute... it goes on. Not to mention the first 3-D skydives, and early ten-way speed star exit techniques. The list goes on...

In 2000. It was called a Firecracker, and was the forerunner to the FireBolt. The canopies previously thought of as elliptical were actually tapered tip. In an elliptical design, every skin, every rib (from 0 out to tip), is a different pattern, and every line is a different length (1 - 5).

Granted, most early tapered canopies (BT 80, Stiletto, etc.) had constant-chord centre-sections and only tapered outer cells.

Circa 1988, I flew a tapered para-glider with Jean Bouchard.

How much taper did Tony Uragallo or Brian Germaine put in their early canopies?