Deyan

"Who" invented "what" in skydiving?

The title says it all.
Who invented what? From the curved pin, to the articulated harness. From the free bag to the MARD.
It could be anything you can think of! Pro-pack, soft reserve handle, dynamic corners....... you name it!

There's only one rule. No brand wars!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Deyan

The title says it all.
Who invented what? From the curved pin, to the articulated harness. From the free bag to the MARD.
It could be anything you can think of! Pro-pack, soft reserve handle, dynamic corners....... you name it!

the so-called 'pro-pack' used to be called 'trash-packing' back in the day... be interesting to know just who was responsible for re-naming it...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Ok... so, I'll take it straight this time... and get the list started...

Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - storing the parachute in a soft pack worn on the back
Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - ripcord deployment
Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - spring loaded pilot chute deployment
Domina Jalbert - Ram-Air Parachute
Frenchman Pierre M. Lemoigne - Paracommander (to mfg them - Pioneer)
_________ Piggy Back Container
Bill Booth - Three Ring Release
Bill Booth - Throw Out PC
Bill Booth - Pull Out PC
Bill Booth/Ted Strong - Tandem Parachute System
Helmut Cloth - Cypres AAD

OK folks... add on to it.
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

skypuppy

***The title says it all.

the so-called 'pro-pack' used to be called 'trash-packing' back in the day... be interesting to know just who was responsible for re-naming it...

I don't remember who gets the cred for pro packing, but whoever it was originally named it for the acronym for "proper ram-air orientation". I guess it sounded better than trash pack, which BTW can also be done with a side pack. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The crossbow container from security is the first production piggy back that I can think of but I'm not sure it was the first.

I'm not sure about some of the things you're attributing to Booth. I've seen a number of various early throw out deployment systems. There were a lot of hybrid sort of ideas where you had a throw out pilot chute but also a lanyard going back to a pin that you were pulling manually by hand as you extracted the PC.

And like I said, it's a bit of a gray area but I think Sherman deserves more credit for the Pull Out PC. Struggle, struggle, thump.
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

fcajump

Not to take anything away from Helmut - he's done good! But as the saying goes, every inventor stands on the shoulders of a thousand inventors who came before them. And I believe it was Steve Snyder who invented the first AAD; the Sentinel.

I think he also created the first skydiving specific altimeter, The Altimaster, still in wide use today, so we didn't have to mount those heavy bulky aircraft altimeters on our belly wart reserves.

And didn't he also come up with the slider, to tame hard openings on ram-air parachutes so that we could enjoy our sport without bruises?

fcajump

Ok... so, I'll take it straight this time... and get the list started...

Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - storing the parachute in a soft pack worn on the back
Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - ripcord deployment
Leslie Irvin and James Floyd Smith - spring loaded pilot chute deployment
Domina Jalbert - Ram-Air Parachute
Frenchman Pierre M. Lemoigne - Paracommander (to mfg them - Pioneer)
_________ Piggy Back Container
Bill Booth - Three Ring Release
Bill Booth - Throw Out PC
Bill Booth - Pull Out PC
Bill Booth/Ted Strong - Tandem Parachute System

OK folks... add on to it.
JW

I would argue with point 1 - I think that broadwick and leo stevens both had backpack systems developed long before Irvin - and Irvin would have used them. Probably many others also developed their own backpack systems independently as well.

Also point 2 - leo stevens system had a ripcord before the Irvin/smith system came out. Rod Law was one of the demo jumpers for him. admittedly the ripcord was usually attached to the plane by a static line, which was good for one demo jumper who fell out of (off of) the plane somewhere around 400 on one celebrated jump.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

fcajump

Bill Booth - well that covers 75% of the container you're currently wearing.

I think you are giving him too much credit. He did invent many things and his contribution to the sport is indisputable, but 75 % ?

Let me tell you about my rig.
It's dual canopy container ( he didn't invent that ). I have throw out PC( he invented ), but my PC has a kill line ( he didn't invent ). My PC is packed in BOC pouch ( he was not the first one to put it there ). My harness is articulated and the container has many tuck tab flaps ( he didn't invent ). My reserve PC is spring loaded and it's activated by a ripcord ( he didn't invent ). My reserve is packed into a freebag ( he didn't invent ). The freebag is closed by a safety stow ( he didn't invent ). My main canopy release system is 3 ring ( as we already know, he invented that ). I have a RSL ( he didn't invent ). My main risers are type 17 ( who invented those ). My risers have dive loops and slider locks ( and I don't recall he inventing those )

I really don't get where the 75% came from!

Back on topic

Dan Poynter - 2 pin pop-top
Stefan Ertler - 1 pin pop-top
Brian Germain - Airlocks
Bill Coe & John LeBlanc - Crossbrace
PdF - reusable soft links
PdF - reversed risers
Bill Booth - Spectra reserve ripcord
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hi Lee,

The crossbow container from security is the first production piggy back that I can think of but I'm not sure it was the first.

Yup, it was the first. It came on the market in the Spring of 1964.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Security patented the concept of the reserve above the main container, on the side of the main container & below the main container. How about them apples?

Hi Spice,

And I believe it was Steve Snyder who invented the first AAD; the Sentinel.

The original Sentinel was available when I made my first jump in Feb '64.

I think he also created the first skydiving specific altimeter, The Altimaster, still in wide use today, so we didn't have to mount those heavy bulky aircraft altimeters on our belly wart reserves.

Actually, the first Altimaster was a very thick, bulky altimeter; it was a later version where he developed the thin model, the Altimaster II.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Deyan,

Bill Booth - Spectra reserve ripcord

Jim Handbury & Gary Douris developed a reserve ripcord using Dacron for their Handbury Rig. Spectra, as we know it, was not available at the time.

However, Bill Booth's design was the first to use the elastic inside of the line.

Jerry Baumchen

Who did do the first tuck tabs? As I recall Javelin as an example was already using then on their riser covers when Talon still had Velcro riser covers. So I don't think Sandy can lay claim to that. But what was the first tuck tab. The Vector 1 was all Velcro. Who did the first reserve tuck tabs and the first main. By the vector 2 booth had tabs on both I'm not sure when Javelins lost their Velcro in favor of tabs. And when did they do the first tuck tab on the talon main?

Good thread. I've seen a lot of old shit but I'm not clear on the history of the time line.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

You seem to forget one of the most important inventor namely Domina Jalbert born at St Michel-des-Saints in Quebec. He has invented and developed the fabric airfoil. His goal was to make lumberjack work easier in hard to access places in a forest. His idea was to develop a collapsible fabric airfoil large enough to lift and move tree trunks. Steve Snyder (Paraflite) aware of that got the idea to use that airfoil for parachuting. Steve Snyder is the inventor of the slider for Ram Air parachutes. North American Aerodynamics started to built Ram Air parachutes called Jalbert Parafoil, equiped with the pilot chute controled spider system. This is the parachute I have used to make my first Ram Air jump in the 70s. :)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Actually... if you look at my list (rather than my poor attempt at humor where I gave Booth credit for everything) Jalbert is in my list, though I left much room for expansion of the list.
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

RiggerLee

Who did do the first tuck tabs? As I recall Javelin as an example was already using then on their riser covers when Talon still had Velcro riser covers. So I don't think Sandy can lay claim to that. But what was the first tuck tab. The Vector 1 was all Velcro. Who did the first reserve tuck tabs and the first main. By the vector 2 booth had tabs on both I'm not sure when Javelins lost their Velcro in favor of tabs. And when did they do the first tuck tab on the talon main?

Good thread. I've seen a lot of old shit but I'm not clear on the history of the time line.

Lee

The first tuck tab was the Talon "Tongue", a friction grip tab on the main pin cover. 1986.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi Lee,

When were the first AAD's made?

IMO this is getting into splitting hairs.

I only considered those made specifically for sport use.

Back in the '60's, Gary Patmor was doing a lot of work modifying some military openers for sport useage. They were available but really never did catch on.

For an AAD, Steve Snyder is the man.

Jerry Baumchen

chuckakers

Leonard Morehead - Bryan, Texas

Leonard invented a process dubbed "Leonardizing" in which a tired old F-111 canopy can be given a second life with a coating he developed. He charged $1 per square foot and it worked.

Did it differ much from saturating it with Scotchgard or silicon spray?