YvonneWiggers

Pull-out vs throw out (BOC)

skez

no one uses pullouts anymore well hardly anyone i havent even seen one in real life
Pullouts, leg strap boc and spring main pcs are gone forever its time to let go ppl lol

pullouts are still there, leg strap BOC have never existed and probably never will, and spring main pc's have their applications.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

RiggerLee

Leg strap BOC have never existed? Are you just arguing the semantics? You are aware that leg strap "throw outs" were the norm for years right? Lee

skez forgot some commas in his post, and I think legstrap pilot chute pouches might pre-date piisfish, so I think he repeated the lack of commas and now it is all confusing.

And then we all remember that there was front of legstap AND rear of legstrap, right? FOL and ROL?

I've got an old(er)talon that was donated to me, that I use for demos. It has a ROL pouch and I get asked often by younger jumpers what it is.

I've been jumping just under 10 years and knew what it was when I got it. I have thought about using it...but just cant make myself do it :P

RiggerLee

How about the Kleenex box style pouch on the hip of the... was it racers? Where you pulled it out of a slot. I always thought that one was cute.

Lee

I had an old sweethog pull out/throwout hybrid with a plastic martin baker style handle at the bottom of the container, attached to a nylon covered cable that snaked in to close it (had to use a bungee closing loop or the pull force was way too high), and the PC was in a pouch against the back.

I also had a Northern Light II rig with a front of legstrap pouch.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

RiggerLee

How about the Kleenex box style pouch on the hip of the... was it racers? Where you pulled it out of a slot. I always thought that one was cute.

Hey Lee,
I think it might have been a British rig because a British jumper showed it to me but I didn't record the details of the one I saw or even take a shot of the whole rig - see photo. Not a Racer but possibly a Racer-like design. (Looks like the one in the photo was later converted to a 1980's style Racer pullout.)

Other pilot chute locations? The short lived Para Flite Eos had some pouch in the backpad, in the small of one's back?

Not that this helps Yvonne much!

My first rig had a deployment system like this. It was a Racer that I purchased used at Hinckley in 1990. I may have been the third owner of that rig. It was pretty old and beat up when I bought it. I no longer have it. The pilot chute folded into a square, and was inserted into a square pouch on the right hip. The pouch had a slit in the middle. I never saw another rig that had that deployment system. I now jump a standard BOC.

ETA: the photo in pchapman's post was the deployment system my Racer had.

gowlerk

... the marketplace has spoken.

"

The vast majority of Canadian DZs converted to IAD, throw-out during the 1980s.
I would feel like a hypocrite if I dropped IAD students while wearing any other system.

Back when I was student, static-lines and 4-pin ripcords were fashionable.
My first rig (Six Pack) had a throw-out pilot-chute mounted in a pocket on the belly-band.
My second rig (Eze-Flyer) had a throw-out pilot-chute in a pocket on the front of the leg strap.
My third rig had a throw-out pilot-chute n a pocket on the rear of the leg strap.
My fourth rig had a BOC, throw-out pilot-chute.
I have made more than 4,000 tandem jumps, all with the pilot-chute/drogue in a BOC.
All my wing-suit jumps have been with BOC.
I have dropped hundreds, maybe thousands of IAD students.
Since the mid-1980s, I have only taught free-fall students to throw pilot-chutes.
Sorry folks, but I am too old and too grumpy to change my pilot-chute throwing habits.

... Other pilot chute locations? The short lived Para Flite Eos had some pouch in the backpad, in the small of one's back?

.......................................................................................

Some 1970s vintage Security "System" piggybacks (looked like Wonderhogs from a distance) had their soft, main pilot-chutes stuffed in to pockets in the backpad.

Para-Flite's EOS (circa 1990) had its throw-out main pilot-chute stuffed in a pocket on the horizontal back-strap. To a user, it felt the same as an ROL, but was easier to pack and had hardly any Velcro to wear out. Back around 1990, we were just starting to learn that Velcro did not have an infinite life.

RiggerLee

Leg strap BOC have never existed? Are you just arguing the semantics? You are aware that leg strap "throw outs" were the norm for years right?

Lee

yes just arguing semantics. It can't be a BOC and legstrap pouch at the same time. BOC being Bottom Of Container

justme12001

I've got an old(er)talon that was donated to me, that I use for demos. It has a ROL pouch and I get asked often by younger jumpers what it is.

Just tell them it that in the old days it was your beer bottle holder for cross country jumps. Then walk away.

pchapman

***I've got an old(er)talon that was donated to me, that I use for demos. It has a ROL pouch and I get asked often by younger jumpers what it is.

Just tell them it that in the old days it was your beer bottle holder for cross country jumps. Then walk away.or for swooper wannabes it can be your RSL pocket

Pull-out solves a problem that doesn't exit. Use an appropriately short closing loop, ensure your bridle is protected, don't pack your PC in a way that allows slack to work it's way out.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Pull-out solves a problem that doesn't exit. Use an appropriately short closing loop, ensure your bridle is protected, don't pack your PC in a way that allows slack to work it's way out.

In other words, do a bunch of things that aren't necessary with a PO?

Don't forget inspect and maintain your BOC, pack your PC so it doesn't bunch up in the pouch and don't sit in the plane so your PC can work its way out of the pouch.

I understand that people have their own preferences, but to say that POs only solve problems that don't exist is just burying your head in the sand.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

DJL

Because no one has ever seen a horseshoe malfunction or a PC in tow, right?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

piisfish

******I've got an old(er)talon that was donated to me, that I use for demos. It has a ROL pouch and I get asked often by younger jumpers what it is.

Just tell them it that in the old days it was your beer bottle holder for cross country jumps. Then walk away.or for swooper wannabes it can be your RSL pocketi meant RDS pocket sorry for the typo

diablopilot

***Pull-out solves a problem that doesn't exit. Use an appropriately short closing loop, ensure your bridle is protected, don't pack your PC in a way that allows slack to work it's way out.

Because no one has ever seen a horseshoe malfunction or a PC in tow, right?

From a poorly packed and maintained system, yes.

Yeah, maybe I speak too strongly to say the problem doesn't exist. What I see in people who have PO's are people who care about their gear and safety enough to want to avoid a PCiT. I do it with a short closing loop and PC packing ability.

I do have to ask, if you all think this method is so superior then why don't we see it on student gear.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher