YvonneWiggers

Pull-out vs throw out (BOC)

DJL

I do have to ask, if you all think this method is so superior then why don't we see it on student gear.

I don't know for sure, but possibly because of the fear of a dropped pud (a fear which IMO is way overplayed).

A system that is superior, or higher performance in some way does not necessarily make for a better student equipment choice.

For example, collapsible PCs are frequently omitted from student gear because there is one less thing to go wrong.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks everyone for the advice, history lessons and childish remarks :D. I might borrow a pull-out rig to try it anyway, but for now my mind is set on throw-out. This is mostly because hard(er) pulls are apparently still pretty common with pull-out and even though I won't wingsuit with it I will be jumping camera wings sometimes.
"So I jump out, look up, and think 'Oh SHIT!...

It's PINK!!!'"
- army guy after his first staticline jump

DocPop

***Pull-out solves a problem that doesn't exit. Use an appropriately short closing loop, ensure your bridle is protected, don't pack your PC in a way that allows slack to work it's way out.

In other words, do a bunch of things that aren't necessary with a PO? ...

................................................................................

I watched a woman have two hard-pulls and two reserve rides on the same day, because she did not understand that she had to pack a pull-out pilot-chute's base in the same corner of the container as the handle.
Dough!

DJL

******Pull-out ...
if ... this method is so superior then why don't we see it on student gear.

..................................................................................

That is because many schools that loan BOC throw-outs to their students also offer IAD jumps. It takes twenty seconds to convert a rig from BOC to IAD (e.g. if the clouds come down). Any other conversion must be done on the ground with spare parts, lots of space etc. Trust me because I was jump-master during the whole conversion from military-surplus static-lines to spring-loaded main pilot-chutes to belly-band-mounted throw-outs to BOC process.
BOC is by far the best student gear for a busy school.

Folks, can we agree that the pull-out crowd figured out the correct handle location during the mid-197s, but it took the rest of us a couple more decades to see their wisdom?

Twenty years later (2014) the capitalist market has decided that BOC throw-out is the best system.

For example, collapsible PCs are frequently omitted from student gear because there is one less thing to go wrong.

..................................................................................

Collapsible pilot-chutes add another wear-point. Also collapsible pilot-chutes do not significantly improve performance of lightly-loaded student canopies .. typically 0.7 pounds per square foot.

Remember that experienced skydivers did not adopt collapsible pilot-chutes until wing-loads exceeding 1.3 ... became fashionable.

YvonneWiggers

... for now my mind is set on throw-out... I will be jumping camera wings sometimes.

.....................................................................................

Good girl.

BOC became fashionable for photographers during the early 1990s. This fashion came on the tail of the growing popularity of tandems. Since many TIs worked part-time as videographers, they did not want to bother remembering a different deployment system when they were down-and-dirty.
BOC also reduces risk of entanglement with large (knee length), detachable camera wings.