Alfasatwi

Atom & Evolution with a Navigator 220 Main - need opinion

Hi All,

I've decided to buy my first rig I have jumped a Navigator 280 in my AFF and since then I have jumped Nav 260 - 240 with smooth landings. So I have been thinking of getting a rig with a Navigator 220.

I have looked around and found an offer from a Czech skydiving club called Jump Tandem www.jump-tandem.cz.

Offered Rig:
Harness 01/03 Atom Evolution
Reserve chute 08/00 Techno 240
Main canopy 10/03 NA 220
Attached is an image of the rig sent to me by the club.

The price for the whole rig is 1000 euros which is around 1250$. The main has 1100 jumps on it.

I am no expert in skydiving, and living in a country with no place to buy a rig doesn't help as well. So I am looking for an opinion on whether this rig is a good deal or not. I realize that the container itself is quite old. I am planning to jump ~200 on my first used gear till I think of investing in a good rig.
Dreaming for 6 years of skydiving, and after getting my AFF, I regretted waiting for so long!
To everyone over there, stop dreaming and start doing.
Blue Skies!!!

Looks like a bad idea to me.

PdF (the maker of the Atom rigs) will quit the sport skydiving business soon, so if you ever need any kind of customer service, spare parts, whatever, you might have a hard time finding it.

Besides that, unless you are heavy and very conservative, a NA 220 won't be that fun and will restrict you in slightly windy conditions, as you'll be too "floaty". What will be your wingload on it?

I don't think the price is bad, but I do think you'll be looking for something else soon, and selling the rig to get some of your money back will be complicated. It looks safe though, if everything is in good condition. Bottom line is that this is student gear, and I would say that you are better with beginner gear, not student gear. But of course it also depends on what are your targets on the sport. If you are going to make 20 jumps per year then go for it. If you are going to make 200 jumps per year avoid it.

Disclaimer: I have slightly more than 200 jumps, so you should listen to somebody with more experience, especially the ones that you know in person and can be trusted.

Thanks Deimian.

My wingloading is going to be 1.1 under this canopy and I am planning on jumping something between 100 - 200 jumps before thinking of selling and buying a new gear.
Dreaming for 6 years of skydiving, and after getting my AFF, I regretted waiting for so long!
To everyone over there, stop dreaming and start doing.
Blue Skies!!!

1.1 is already significant. In that case I would suggest you to go for something similar in size, possibly even bigger, but not student gear.

But of course finding something cheap, that can accommodate your size, might not be easy..... So if you are not willing to spend more money this might be your best option. Anyway, please talk to your instructors/rigger. They should know what is better for you.