jayrech

Full RDS on Katana

Looking for a full RDS for a Katana....and go!!!!

IIRC, the slider on the Katana is built in part with mesh. If you put an RDS from another manufacturer on the canopy that does not have the same size mesh area, you will affect the opening characteristics of the canopy.

Please contact PD directly if you intend to do this and get their input before doing so. [email protected]
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

TomNoonan

Looking for a full RDS for a Katana....and go!!!!

IIRC, the slider on the Katana is built in part with mesh. If you put an RDS from another manufacturer on the canopy that does not have the same size mesh area, you will affect the opening characteristics of the canopy.

Please contact PD directly if you intend to do this and get their input before doing so. [email protected]

I think thats only on bigger katanas. I havent seen the mesh up to 120's. A friends 150 has yhe mesh though. Havent ever seen a 135.

Guy named Yoyo, or Jojo.

He used be/or still is down at Skydive San Diego.

He made the best RDS system that I've seen in the market, super light rings, and most importantly super FAST to hook it back up. You only have to push the cable thru once per ring. I hate one of those RDS where you have to push the cable thru two or three times per ring.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Hey Tom, I've already tried talking with PD, they won't give me any information in regards to putting anything like an RDS on the Katana. I do have the mesh on my slider. They can't say anything because of liabilities. I've been thinking of going with a velo comp RDS as they aren't too far off for size, and I don't plan on using it for any sort of terminal jumping.
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

stayhigh

Do you really need full RDS on KA 170?

Unless you weigh like 245lbs.

hey I resemble that remark ;)although what I jump is a crossfire 2 169 I have been thinking about putting a removable slider on it
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

stayhigh

Guy named Yoyo, or Jojo.

He used be/or still is down at Skydive San Diego.

Jojo makes the Chupacabra for the Velo and Xaos. You should get in touch with him if you haven't already. I have used a Chupacabra on a VE90 and a Xaos-21 91, nice openings and it's actually a bit bigger than the PD standard VE removable. I also prefer the way the slider attaches to the PD standard.

http://www.thrill-inc.com/

it is relevant.

it is stupid to see a person who barely loads their canopy at 1.2 and wanting full RDS.

If you load it enough go for it.

Contact Jojo at Skydive San Diego. His shit was legit 5 years ago so it has to be better now.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

jayrech

No I don't weigh 245 lbs, I weigh 270 lbs before gear. Im 6'8" with a size 14 shoe if that is relevant ?

DAMN! I would love to make a jump with you we can have some fun in free fallB|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

***No I don't weigh 245 lbs, I weigh 270 lbs before gear. Im 6'8" with a size 14 shoe if that is relevant ?

DAMN! I would love to make a jump with you we can have some fun in free fallB|

Just make sure you ask the pilot for FL150, so you can get 30-35 seconds working time ;)

To the OP, I second the LockMa suggestion ( if you can get one )
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Some comments on this thread:

1. Katanas 135 and larger have mesh on their sliders, 120 and smaller do not.

2. I used a Velo RS (not full RDS) on a KA120 and the openings, even at terminal, were improved in my opinion.

3. A full RDS is designed to reduce parasitic drag from the PC, bag etc after opening. If you are flying your KA to the point where you need an RDS to get better swoops, why not fly a VE or VC, which not only have RDS systems designed for them, but are also cleaners wings aerodynamically anyway?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I don't fly a velo or a cross brace because I'm still learning on a Katana 170. I'd like to get the most I can out of the canopy and start getting my self accustom to the added complexities that having a full RDS introduces. Instead of getting onto a wonderfully loaded canopy and trying to sort shit out.
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

Why not start with an RS (which also offers some tangible benefits with a Katana) and then leave the full RDS for when you are ready to go x-braced?

I assume that's the eventual goal as full RDS is pretty much a balls-out CP thing.

Just a thought.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA