shibu

Freezing temp gloves

I jumped for the first time through snow this past weekend. It was 28° on the ground and I was fine with everything except that I could not feel my fingers under canopy. I gained a lot of respect for the Russian jumpers that day.

I am currently using a pair of football gloves similar to these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=30405526

A rigger recommended a pair of rockclimbing gloves. Any suggestions on the warmest gloves that are appropriate for jumping?

I jump with a pair of Mechanix insulated gloves that do the job pretty well, although the velcro closure got worn fast from a couple landings sliding in a couple months after I started. They don't have the tackiness on the fingers and palm like yours, but they keep me warm and fit is great.

Ignoring my suggestion above, and the main reason I responded was to let you know a tip I received from a fellow jumper was to wear a pair of surgical latex gloves underneath your skydiving gloves to insulate your hands. It sounds silly, but I have to wait to put them on while in the plane, otherwise my hands start to sweat. It's a cheap solution that works well, try it out on the ground and you'll see what I mean.

Stay Warm!

skydiverek

2mm neoprene gloves (for under water winter diving)

OR

normal skydiving summer glowes with the doctor's rubber gloves ON TOP of skydiving gloves.

thanks for the reply.

I'll try these. I've heard about the surgical latex gloves underneath skydiving gloves but this is the first I heard about using them on top of the skydiving gloves. Was there any reason why you specified on top?

Paratroopa

I jump with a pair of Mechanix insulated gloves that do the job pretty well, although the velcro closure got worn fast from a couple landings sliding in a couple months after I started. They don't have the tackiness on the fingers and palm like yours, but they keep me warm and fit is great.

Ignoring my suggestion above, and the main reason I responded was to let you know a tip I received from a fellow jumper was to wear a pair of surgical latex gloves underneath your skydiving gloves to insulate your hands. It sounds silly, but I have to wait to put them on while in the plane, otherwise my hands start to sweat. It's a cheap solution that works well, try it out on the ground and you'll see what I mean.

Stay Warm!

I have heard the latex gloves solution before but never tried it. Probably because I never had a problem staying warm before. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to give it a shot.

I've been using the winter weight Neuman's for years (but won't mind finding better).

Worst mistake I made was to blindly follow a friend's advice... They always wore doctor's gloves under their regular gloves and it worked GREAT (for them). Having never tried them before I was game.

Turns out I should have thought back to my first school dance (sweaty palms). The only thing worse than freezing cold wind on the outside of your gloves, is ICE inside your gloves.

I would suggest that once you find something you think you want to use, go outside in the very cold and do some work that requires finger dexterity. See how flexible, cold, wet, etc they get over time.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

shibu

***2mm neoprene gloves (for under water winter diving)

OR

normal skydiving summer glowes with the doctor's rubber gloves ON TOP of skydiving gloves.

thanks for the reply.

I'll try these. I've heard about the surgical latex gloves underneath skydiving gloves but this is the first I heard about using them on top of the skydiving gloves. Was there any reason why you specified on top?

You will not sweat like in one minute. Also, they will cerate a larger bubble of warm air. But no sweating is the main reason.

Only gloves will not keep your fingers warm. It is more important to keep your body core warm so that enough warm blood is still flowing towards your fingertips. This means wearing long underpants, 2 or 3 shirts, etc. The greatest challenge is not saturating your multiple layers of clothing with seat before you get near the door. To that end, I like to wear turtle-neck sweaters with zippers. I leave the neck open while walking around on the ground. As the airplane climbs, I gradually zip up my turtle-neck, add a neck-warmer, helmet and gloves.

riggerrob

Only gloves will not keep your fingers warm. It is more important to keep your body core warm so that enough warm blood is still flowing towards your fingertips. This means wearing long underpants, 2 or 3 shirts, etc. The greatest challenge is not saturating your multiple layers of clothing with seat before you get near the door. To that end, I like to wear turtle-neck sweaters with zippers. I leave the neck open while walking around on the ground. As the airplane climbs, I gradually zip up my turtle-neck, add a neck-warmer, helmet and gloves.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind. Mos of my body did feel warm.
I wore a base layer, 3/4 layer, Biking jacket & Biking tights along with a neck warmer. Now that you mention my core temp, I think I could have used a warmer pair of tights on my legs.

A nice surprise was heat in the Caravan that kept me warm even though I was near the tail!

Outdoor Research alpine gloves. Also get a pair of hand warmers and put them on the back of your hand at the start of the day, they last about 6 hours.

Practice grabbing your handle on the ground. It is amazing how different it is with cold weather gloves.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Casual-Gloves/Mens-Fishing-Gloves|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105547680/i/104005080/Cabelas-Guidewearreg-Full-Finger-Fishing-Gloves/1615619.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Fishing-Gloves%2F104005080.uts&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104005080

I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard good things. Windproof and warm. But flexible with pre-curved fingers.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Don't have a major issue with cold where I jump but I do endorse the use of hand warmers - I'm not too concerned about the rest of my body but due to an injury to my hand in 1995 I take care of my digits. :D After all your hand is better than an AAD.

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I use a pair of Nomex flight gloves through winter. I think Paragear has them for about $35usd.

Thin enough so you retain good dexterity and feeling, plus warm.

Had my current ones for about 3-4 years, wore a small hole in them that was easily fixed, so they last well too.

And they come in ninja black.. instead of defense force green.

jumpsalot-2

Do you know which "model" Sealskinz the TI's are using ? Thanks for the info by the way.

I don't remember if they were the Chillblocker or Ultragrip. I had a pair, but gave them to a buddy that was having problems with his hands getting cold during work jumps. He loved them. If I remember correctly, they run a bit on the large size.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I use a pair of cheap cold storage double-knit, rubber-coated gloves called Ninja Ice. We jump the year round and the temperatures at 15.000 are often in the negative 20s. Numb hands are only a problem on the very coldest of days. I reckon I can get up to 500 jumps out of a pair.

I've tried the latex glove trick this past winter... didn't work for me, plus it made putting on the regular gloves a lot harder. I'm getting some thin glove liners for next season to see how they hold up.

2mm neoprene gloves (for under water winter diving)

from eric

But also under these put polypropylene or silk thin liner gloves. Again for sweat wicking and control. Rarely have to resort to these though. Neuman's winter weight receiver gloves are usually good enough for what little I do/did in the winter. I'm used to them also since I wear normal Neuman gloves every jump.

But what ever you use pretend you in a first jump course and get in a hanging harness with them. Especially if your not used to jumping with gloves. It's not much change for me because I wear them all the time. But if you NOT used to wearing gloves it's a big change to not have your normal sense of touch.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

nitrile/latex gloves over or under your regular gloves are there mostly as a wind stopper. the only advantave I've ever seen of putting them on over your existing gloves is you don't have to take your regular gloves off. make sure if you go over the top you get a large enough size, and check if you have velcro, etc. that will snag those. once they tear, kind of useless.

the last jump I did here in Alaska was about a month ago now before the dz shut down for the season. was something like -9F at 10K, and not much warmer down closer to the ground. I jumped with a pair of dakine ski gloves that had a rubberized palm I use for ice climbing. worked fine for me, but was cold.

biggest thing to do if you are going to try using winter gloves is try them on and see if you can grab and engage your toggles and BOC. I put my rig on and did practice touches for about 20 min, and then 3-5 min before each jump with my eyes closed. Your hackey will likely feel quite different with a glove and can cause issues.

regardless of what you choose to wear, if it's winter jumping and sufficiently cold at altitude, your hands will be cold. keep some hand warmers in your gear bag for after you land. arm position and moving through cold, low moisture air will just suck the heat from your hands and body. not much you can do but minimize the suck factor.