skydiverek

Pilot openings: old vs new Pilots

Do Pilots made after 2009 open somehow worse/faster that Pilots made before 2009? The difference is that before 2009 Pilots had F-111 ribs, and after 2009 they have ZP/ZPX ribs.

I browsed thru some posts about Pilot canopies here on Dropozne.com. There are a few posts by Bushman (from Aerodyne), back from 2007 when he was their empployee, saying that they were trying going from F-111 ribs to ZP/ZPX ribs, and the openings got worse on those 'experimental R&D' canopies, back then.

I do know that now the ribs are always ZP/ZPX, no F-111 anymore, hence my original question: do Pilots made after 2009 open worse/faster that Pilots made before 2009? Or, did they manage to fix this 'issue' with ZP/ZPX ribs? I am most interested in Pilot 168, normal ZP fabric.

Bushman's posts:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2675516;search_string=ribs;#2675516

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2676249;search_string=ribs;#2676249

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1324058;search_string=ribs;#1324058

So Erek, why do you equate faster with worse?:) Some of us think the newer canopy designs that take 800 - 1000' to open are streamers that should be cutaway.;) When we get out at 2000' we can't afford to waste 800'. Guess that's why I'm still jumping original Sabres and Triathlons.:)
I haven't thought about but is there even a new canopy I could buy that opens fast? Other than crw and base canopies.:P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

skydiverek

The slower opening, the better for me :)

Because slowing the trying with a different size/profile slider is completely out of the question, right ?

Please let us know which instrument you use to measure the "7 seconds" and what you consider your starting and end point.

The slower opening, the better for me :)

Because slowing the trying with a different size/profile slider is completely out of the question, right ?

Wrong. I start with the slowest possible opening canopy, and slow it further with larger sliders, if necessary. I prefer to have the "correct" canopy right away, as opposed to modyfing it later. I will be probably buying brand new.

Please let us know which instrument you use to measure the "7 seconds" and what you consider your starting and end point.

My own, and also outside video. Starting point: snatch force, body set to vertial position. End point: slider 75% down (at this point canopy is basically inflated).