abean3

New Container Input

I have narrowed down my choice for a new container to the Wings Ext and Icon Nexgen, but I am struggling to make a decision. Any input on design benefits and why you prefer one or the other would be greatly appreciated.

For those with experience with the original Icon and the Nexgen, how much of a difference can you really notice?

Thanks to all for any help.

Things to consider for the wings: The top reserve flap makes the reserve tray quite "enclosing". I wouldn't overstuff it. (I have a wings and I changed the reserve just for that reason).

Things to consider for the icon: The riser covers open quite frequently and easily. Maybe they solved it on the nexgen or with the magnetic riser covers.

The hip ring on the icon is lower than the junction of the MLW (the leg straps attach to the ring at two points). The hip ring on the wings is right on the MLW junction (the leg strap is attached at a single point). I find the later better, but this is highly dependable on your body and preference.

The icon has a MARD with collins lanyard. The wings has a MARD without it. But maybe you don't care about any MARD.

In the icon the AAD cutter is above the freebag, in the wings is at the bottom of the freebag tray.

The icon allows an easy installation of a skytie, the wings doesn't.

At the end it depends on your preferences, IMHO both are very good and capable containers.

I have been jumping my ICON NexGen for the past year and thoroughly like the container and its many features. I have never had a problem with my magnetic riser covers opening. My rig is quite comfortable and so far has shown itself to be well built after 188 jumps. I have a Skyhook installed but thankfully have never had to try it out. My two cents would be the NexGen over a Wings.

ive got the wings with MARD and magnetic covers.

the covers are nice, the magnets have to be very close for them to work, but they work great. you have to neatly put your risers in them and not rush otherwise it will not close.

Ive also used the MARD as well on a recent line over mal. Worked great, deployed super fast.

I've had 2 wings. The first one (a W14) was bulletproof. It's now 11 years old and still looks like new (I see the guy who bought it from me 18 months ago around the DZ occasionally) . I've now got a W8 ext. I bought it from new and to be honest it looks tattier now than my old rig. It's been to the rigger twice and there's just bits of stitching coming out of the binding tape, the risers and all sorts of areas and I'm disappointed with it TBH. They certainly don't build them like they used to :(

""Quite enclosing"" you said. Have a look on this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKVAtjfGjp0

On this video, this friend of mine had to pull manually his reserve freebag. When I tried to reproduce this problem on the ground having the rig of the same brand in the same configuration, I couldn't extract the freebag by pulling on the bridle with two arms.>:(

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I've seen that video before. Actually this is the video that convinced me to change my reserve. I have a Wings W11, and before I had a Tempo 170 on it. Pulling it out on the ground was not a problem, pulling with one arm, the rig lifted half an inch before letting go the freebag. But for peace of mind I change it for an Speed 170. It looks much better, and top of the reserve tray is not tight by any means.

Might have came out a little better if he was not on his back :S

I had close to the same thing happen to me on my Wings rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtp8AX-zPFQ
This was my first save and also my first reserve ride. So much beer..
Flipped over to my belly and it came out. Like people have said just don't over stuff it. All I fly is Wings now. I really like how they look, for the money they are a great value, and a lot about them makes a lot of sense to me ie. the cutter for the AAD is under the reserve, the RSL ring placement, the reserve pilot chute, no velcro on the reserve free bag, cordura BOC (the packers hated it for a few weeks before it got broken in). I have owned 5 of them now and it's the first thing I usually recommend to people when then ask.

I have another new wings rig coming toward the end of this month. I wouldn't buy anything else. I'm definitely a loyal wings owner. You really can't go wrong with any modern, major rig manufacturer, but wings containers are decent quality rigs at a good price. I don't sell my old ones, I just add to my collection. I have one I got in 2008 that looks like I just got it.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging