Hellian

A Question about BASE jumping

I can't imagine i will ever take part in BASE jumping, seeing as i don't even skydive yet, but, i was watching some on television today, and I have a query if anyone could answer me.
I know the various "safety" measures they have, quick opening canopies, mesh sliders/no sliders, etc etc. But, what if they get PC in tow, is that "it". I see that they reallllly throw it out hard whereas most deployments from normal skydiving that i have seen it's more "placed" into the wind stream, is there something on BASE rigs which prevent pc in tow occuring?
Thanks
Ed

most deployments from normal skydiving that i have seen it's more "placed" into the wind stream

Please don't "place" your p/c into the wind stream. Throw it as hard as you can. What you may be seeing in the two cases is that the BASE jumper has little relative wind, while the jumper at terminal has quite a bit, so it gets pulled up very fast.
Note that in both cases, the p/c should end up just as far out to the side (mod tension at bridle extension), which is what you want to keep it out of your burble.

I don't base jump but I've seen it. The guy didn't put his pilot chute in the rig, but held it for like 2 secs then tossed it from his hand. He made sure it was like he wanted in his hand before he jumped, and he really threw it hard. The canopy was instant so I assume he was holding it fairly close to the pin so that there would be no chance of a problem with the pilot chute.
Anybody ever done it? I'm chicken.

Please don't "place" your p/c into the wind stream. Throw it as hard as you can. What you may be seeing in the two cases is that the BASE jumper has little relative wind, while the jumper at terminal has quite a bit, so it gets pulled up very fast.

Yeah I know you're supposed to throw out your pc very hard, but on the realtively few deployments i've seen on film, there is a marked distinction between how hard BASE jumpers throw it out compared to "normal" skydivers.
But thanks for the explanations guys, first day of my holiday and i was puzzling over it, too much beer last night made me a tad sluggish ;)
Ed

I think the relative wind is the key. On the Base the relative is less so the pilot chute looks like it is thrown out harder than in a skydive where the relative wind catches it "faster/harder". IMHO

Ahh nice one. Cheers for the replies guys :)
Ed - 16 days to go