GSequoia

Value in old gear?

Hello,

I've got some old gear from my late stepfather. I don't know much about it other than it's probably mid-70s to early 80s. I have two sets that should be complete, I checked one parachute and the fabric is sound although the pilot has a tear.

I haven't looked at the other as it's in a more annoying area to get to.

I'm curious if there is any potential value to these or if I should just scrap them. I couldn't find any make tags on the one I inspected.

GSequoia

***Don't scrap them. Get more info about rig and main. Resale value will be low but 100+ $ is better than nothing :-)

Anywhere in particular to look for information or key spots to photograph for identification?

just take some photo's of the rigs and post them here
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Depends on what it is...for example u would think paracommanders from the 60s have gold in them for some of the prices ppl want for them....I was going to buy one thinking id get one for next to nothing...and no way am I paying anywhere $500 for a 50 year old roundy lol
FTMC

skez

Depends on what it is...for example u would think paracommanders from the 60s have gold in them for some of the prices ppl want for them....I was going to buy one thinking id get one for next to nothing...and no way am I paying anywhere $500 for a 50 year old roundy lol

well, some people appreciate them more than others. Some are just rare.

I paid a grand for a Jumbo PC, and I thought that was a fair price.

and I know a few people (myself included) who would shell out some serious money for a Barrish Sailwing.

A 24ft Phantom though.... Well, that's not really an exciting canopy.

skez

Yeh true I suppose...and I had to google what a barish sailwing was. They look like a mad bit of gear

Interesting article about David Barish. The guy seemed to be ahead of his time, not to mention it's claimed he resumed test-piloting canopies in his 70's. :S

http://www.fai.org/civl-news/32550-David-Barish-1921-2009--The-forgotten-father-of-paragliding
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

The last few years it seems like the vintage gear scene has really increased and the price to acquire such items have gone with it. I have seemed to got lucky and got in the ground floor about ten years ago and acquired some great gems for not a lot of money and much of it for the cost of shipping.

In regards to the Barish sailwing; there is not many of them out there mainly because they never went into production. I have spent a great deal of time researching this unicorn of the parachute world and the photos of the ones you see were prototypes that people produced and made changes to. There are a lot of small inconsistencies in the parachutes if you really look close at the photos. Some time in the coming months if I have time to do so, I will do a post and share some information on this parachute. Not going to say much on it now but I have something pretty special to share.