rehmwa

Expired Cypres - Is the cutter still good?

I know I can send my expired Cypres in for trade in. or someone will buy it.

But is the cutter still good? Should I sell it separately? What's it worth?

I have questions,,,,lots of questions

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

hackish

I think if it's over the 12 year time limit then it's not airworthy. A number of guys buy expired cypres units to jump in unregulated countries. I think there is the discount program to get these units out of circulation.

so something as simple as the cutter also expires in addition to the main unit.....well, that seems like overkill (or more overkill)

thanks, hoping someone can confirm definitively rather than with "I think" - but I appreciate the info regardless

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is the propellant in the cutter subject to degradation? It is sealed, but could environmental factors compromise the seal? If so, what type of time frame are we looking at?

http://www.cypres.cc/?option=com_content&view=article&id=304&Itemid=95&lang=en

rehmwa

I know I can send my expired Cypres in for trade in. or someone will buy it.

But is the cutter still good? Should I sell it separately? What's it worth?

I have questions,,,,lots of questions

The Cypres cutter has a life time of 15 years. It must receive a check every 4 years in order to stay airworthy.

The 15 years life time info comes from a factory tour I did in 2011. I can't find any written info about that, so you can consider that as a"rumor"!

The answer on your other question you can check here:
http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153&Itemid=104&lang=en

Based on that, I'd say it's worth 30 $
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Deyan

The Cypres cutter has a life time of 15 years.

"The Check of Safety and Reliability
Would you like to know how old your cutter is?

No problem. You will find a number on your cutter cable. Compare this number with our list, and it will provide you with the exact date of when your cutter was built. On Cutters produced before September 2000, the date of manufacture is engraved on the plug. All CYPRES cutters have a 14.5 year lifetime when properly maintained.

Comprehensive technical checks with each maintenance, complying with the required intervals for maintenance and respect for the maximum lifetime of a device are crucial to ensure the correct function of each CYPRES component.
http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157&Itemid=109&lang=en
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

It isn't just a rumour... but the information is pretty hard to find and they don't seem to advertise it much.

Cutters are good to 14.5 years... but from its own manufacture date which might be older than the Cypres it is attached to.

(I just looked at a my stock of expired Cypres 1's, and saw cutter dates of 4, 8, and 10 months older than the main units.)

Pretty much only helps if someone local has a Cypres fire and you want to get them back in the air quicker and have a recently expired Cypres lying about.

(Cypres 1 manual says nothing about 4 year checks on cutters separately, but the Cypres 2 manual does, but the attached document doesn't mention it. So one can argue about whether a 13 year old cutter than hasn't had a "12 year check" would be legal. I doubt few would worry until the actual 14.5 year point is hit.)

In a quick google search I can't find where I got the Airtec document so I'll just attach it. Would be nice to have an original source to confirm. [Edit: Koppel obviously found another Airtec info source]

koppel

The Cypres cutter has a life time of 15 years.

"The Check of Safety and Reliability
Would you like to know how old your cutter is?

No problem. You will find a number on your cutter cable. Compare this number with our list, and it will provide you with the exact date of when your cutter was built. On Cutters produced before September 2000, the date of manufacture is engraved on the plug. All CYPRES cutters have a 14.5 year lifetime when properly maintained.

Comprehensive technical checks with each maintenance, complying with the required intervals for maintenance and respect for the maximum lifetime of a device are crucial to ensure the correct function of each CYPRES component.
http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157&Itemid=109&lang=en

thanks all of you

the box - 12 years
the cutter - 14.5/15 years

must check each of them separately to be sure of the age of each component - they might not be the same

that let's me price out my used cutter (from the expired box) by pro-rating it against a new one (as the first consideration)

The question is : is the cutter still good at expiration ? I understand, does the cutter still able to fire...and cut...
The answer is YES. AADs cutters contain an explosive charge just like any kind of ammunitions. As I wrote already on this forum, few years ago I have phoned a store selling everything for fishing and hunting. When I asked about the life of ammunitions, they told me that at a local riffle range, some members were still shooting with ammunitions made during WWII. It was more than 60+ years ago.
I have personnaly fired several cutters from the two leading AADs makers, using a charged capacitance. To make it more obvious, I put a ripcord cable into the hole. They not only fired properly but they also cut the steel cable. Cutters with a tapered blade or a circular one do the same job.
The cutters mentioned in the thread question were from early AAD models and were more than 15 years old (probably around 20 years old).
See the picture of two types of the fired cutters.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.