tfg30

First rig

I am fresh off my A, and looking to purchase my first rig.

I've been spending a lot of time reading posts on the forums and browsing the classifieds, but to be honest, I feel totally overwhelmed with the number of options.

Admittedly, I know very little about skydiving equipment and have no idea what I should really be buying as my first rig.
Anyone have any suggestions on required reading, articles, posts, anything, which could walk me through the process?
My home DZ has pretty much shut down for the season, so that is not really an option for gathering information.

I'm looking to buy something used, preferably as a complete system.

I am approximately 5'10, and 155lbs without gear.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Dont get in a hurry to downsize. Given your weight, a 190 would be an easy enough transition though. Go with a container sized for a 170. You can stuff a 190 in there, and when you downsize it will fit down to a 150. Make sure it has an RSL. I would look for something made after 2000 (just to keep it relatively new). Any other options are "nice to haves" but not really necessary off student status. You'll have time to plan what you really want for your next container.

Look for a non-elliptical main. Nav, Silhouette, and Storms are pretty docile. Spectre, Sabre2, and Pilots wouldnt be bad either at your wingloading. For pricing, usually take off $1 per jump, add or subtract a bit if a reline was recently done if needed (relines are roughly $300-$350). Take off more if it was jumped in the desert.

Get an AAD, Cypres 2 or Vigil. Used ones are hard to come by. Cypress has a estimated value calculator here http://www.cypres-usa.com/usedcypres.asp

For a reserve, bigger is better. Your container will fit a reserve roughly the size of your main, except you wont want to overstuff it like the main. So if its sized for a 170 reserve, find a 170 reserve. PD reserves are great, Tempos and Ravens are popular. Again, I'd look for 2000+ if possible.

Finding a container with a reserve is pretty easy. And youre a pretty common size, so finding a container that fits wont be difficult.

And of course, use your resources. Talk to your AFFI, rigger, and other jumpers at your DZ and ask them about their gear. Most are more than happy to hand out advice.

Congrats on your A license.

Firstly welcome to the sport!

Be wary on advice dispensed on here, always take what you read with a pinch of salt and check with the instructors/riggers at your DZ as things can get lost in translation.

My advice to you would be to choose wisely, there are plenty of rigs out there. You are looking for a size that nearly everyone has to transit through, therefore there will always be containers of 190 size coming on to the market. My advice is not to buy any new kit for your first rig, i did and regret it massively. Your going to learn how to skydive now, which means your going to be making mistakes and most likely sliding landings in on your ass. Do it in a $5k set of kit and your gonna cry a little.

I would advise buy second hand container in a neutral colour scheme, have one eye on reselling it in a few years time. If theres nothing out there, wait a little and you'll be rewarded. Theres loads of makes of containers, and it will come down to a choice of cost and availability. If you can try it on, get a rigger to look over it to make sure your not be sold a piece of shit. There is some douches out there who will sell you a piece of shit and tell you its perfect, therefore be wary and always get it checked out before exchanging money.

Canopies, same as above. Stick with what you know and feel confident on, you may get the gear fear? Again neutral colours will allow you to sell it easily again when you want to down size in the future, your budget will be a big driver on this. The newer the canopy the more expensive it will be, and vicky verky. Spend what you feel comfortable spending, id look for something form 2005 on wards? I'd recommend Pilots from Aerodyne, Safire 2 from NZ Aerosports, Spectres and Sabre 2 from PD. I like NZ Aerosports, and i've jumped their Safire 2 because i liked the soft openings, and I've continued up through their canopy range because of that.

Reserves don't need to be scrimped on, i like Performance Designs (PD) and Aerodyne Smarts (only because I've used them in anger).

AAD, the two big ones are Cypres and Vigil. This is a personal choice here, Cypres has to go back to the factory every 4 years for servicing out to a life span of 12 years when they are retired. SO look for one that has had either its 4 or 8 year service as this will save you money and time. You will have been jumping a student cypress up till now, so make sure you buy a Experienced Cypres with a red button. Vigil, have a longer life span and don't need to go back as often. I use a vigil, because i don't like the idea of having to send it off every 4 years and having to buy a new one every 12 years. (there is a thread on here about them, but this is outside the scope of your question)

I hope this helps you make some choices, good luck.

Andy
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!

The adjective experienced should be in front of both rigger and instructor. A non-instructor who got there rigger ticket in the last couple of years may not have the experience in recommending gear, or even sizing it. They got a license to learn. A newly minted coach my not have much more gear experience than you. They may have bought one rig and not know much else. These folks MAY have good opinions and experience but may not. And get more than one opinion. Having a rigger license or an instructor rating doesn't make someone all knowing and infallible.

Point is people with both ratings may not be knowledgeable enough to offer experienced based opinions.

Also, call you DZO, instructors and riggers. They may know of rigs that should be, will be, or are for sale but not advertized. Other folks may be buying new gear and looking to sell. Others may have rigs setting in their closet they haven't bothered to advertize. Just because you can't talk to them at the DZ doesn't mean you can't talk to them.;) Lots of first rigs get passed from newbie to newbie around the DZ.

As above, advice here is like used chewing gum on the sidewalk. You don't know who it's from and where it's been.:| And it may be messy.:S Some folks on here offer sound advice. Some are low jump newbies that can't resist thinking because they read dz.com they know it all.>:( If you hang out here long enough you'll figure out the difference. But we still don't know you. I know someone your weight that we never suggested smaller than a 260. Others can push the size recommendations to their limit (and beyond) with confidence. Still others think they can push it and end up crippled or dead.

DON'T buy something because it seems like a good deal and THEN ask if it's right for you or if the harness or container can be resized. Also beware there are folks looking to offload stuff at the end of it's life or too out of date in terms of design. Some on ebay right now. "Great first rig!" Yeah, in 1985! Know what you need, ask folks about a particular rig when you see one. You should end up with a list of acceptable containers and models, mains with size, reserves with size and then search accordingly. While price range it important and you want to negotiate a fair price don't shop by looking at the price first.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions.

Another question...
Where is the best place to buy gear in person? Is there a large skydiving gear store anywhere in the country?
I'd like to try helmets on in person.

Where's the best place to go for the most selection?

Same thing for a jumpsuit...would be nice to do this in person as well.

Ideas?
Thanks