MattMoore

Container alterations

I just bought a used rig as a whole and everything is great! However just because I am picky I am thinking about trying to make the leg and shoulder straps more comfortable. They seem a bit short. Is there a way that a rigger can alter the actual strap size (not the pad)? And if so what sort of cost am I looking at?

MattMoore

I just bought a used rig as a whole and everything is great! However just because I am picky I am thinking about trying to make the leg and shoulder straps more comfortable. They seem a bit short. Is there a way that a rigger can alter the actual strap size (not the pad)? And if so what sort of cost am I looking at?

This is probably something you want the rig manufacturer to do, not just any old rigger. Most of them will adjust pieces of the harness for you. Cost seems to generally be around $300 -- call the folks that made the rig and ask them!

MattMoore

Which part of the rig are you calling shoulders traps ?

Just to clarify our terminology:

First, it sounds like you want your harness "re-sized" which is vastly different than the title of this thread.

A factory or Master rigger can "re-size most harnesses" without "altering a container."
"alteration" means away from the original certified configuration.

Your next step is to get measured by a rigger or gear sales person. Forget about trying to measure your self. The only thing that will result is a lot of confused people and a harness that still fits poorly.

Many Master Riggers will ask you to don your harness (with container packed full of canopies) walk around you a couple of times while mumbling to himself and tugging on his grey beard. then he will pronounce some magical words like "your lateral is too short."
Some riggers will wrap a tape measure around you two or three times and scribble obscure numbers on something vaguely resembling an order form for a new rig, FAX those numbers to the factory, then report back "your lateral is too short."

Hint: if you complete your profile, we might be able to recommend the best rigger in your neighborhood.

To clarify a bit of what Rob said:

Go to the rig manufacturer's website and find the page where you measure yourself for a new rig.
Have those measurements taken by someone else. You CANNOT do it accurately yourself.
A rigger is good, a good tailor will be better. But, really, anyone who can follow directions and read a tape measure can do it.

Take the measurements and the serial number from the rig and send them into the manufacturer.

They will tell you what can and cannot be fixed and how much it will cost.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo