Hellian

got my category 8 today!!!

Finished AFF in 2 days! one repeat, and today finished my 10th consolidation jump, also having converted to pull out, and i did my hop and pop from 5000. Grasshopper I can see how you enjoy those, wow!
So anyway, might have to cruise over and try out some Skydive U tomorrow, or maybe sneak over to the Babylon Freefly team and see how they do their stuff :P
(PS Empuriabrava rocks 110%)
WOW THIS SPORT IS INTENSE!!!!!!!!
Ed

Finished AFF in 2 days! one repeat, and today finished my 10th consolidation jump, also having converted to pull out, and i did my hop and pop from 5000.

Congrats.. When you say you converted to pull out - do you really mean pull out, or throw out? Throw out is where you throw the pilot chute out - which is then connected to the pin via about 6-7ft of bridle.. With pull out, you have a handle with about 8-12 inches of bridle attaching it to the closing pin - and then after the pin is pulled, the pilot chute comes out from under the closing flaps and is released..
Just kinda wondering if they actually put newbies on pull out over there..
Mike

I have no experience with pull-out at all. Is there a reason that you would advise against newbies having a pull-out? What about a throw out? I was converted from ripcord to throw out. I just wondered what would be different for pull-out.

I, personally, feel that throw out is the best system for most people.. It's secure, easy to pack(ever try cramming a spring loaded pilot chute into an already too full main container?), and easy to use.. The pull out system has one very distinct advantage - there is no way to get a pilot chute in tow.. The pull out is a somewhat different procedure, but if somebody is properly trained on it, it shouldn't be a problem.. Pull out systems are fairly rare - most people prefer throw out..
Pull out has a couple disadvantages, as well.. Try finding a packer that knows the correct way to pack a pull out.. Sure - they'd be easy to train - but if it's something they're not used to packing, there's a good chance they could pack it incorrectly and cause a mal if not properly checked.. Also, pull out cannot be used by wingsuit flyers(Birdman), and I believe is discouraged for skysurfers..
Don't take my word on pull out - study up on it if you are really interested in it.. I have a whopping 2 jumps on a pull out system.. I will, however, be getting pull out on my next rig..
Mike

couldnt you get a PC in tow if you forgot to cock it? even on a pull out. you would have an open container but it'd take forever for it to deploy.

The way I understand it, the pull out cannot be packed without cocking the PC.. The pin is extracted into the bridle when the PC is uncocked.. Then again, maybe it was just the specific pull out system I jumped that had that..
Mike

And for the POD/BOC controversy... man.. how many time do we have to go through this!!! lol
There are serveal threads about that in the gear forum.. have a search...
Some like one, some like the other; some swear by one, some swear by the other..

Yea - it's an ongoing debate.. My original question was not meant to start a debate - I was just wondering if they really transitioned somebody just off student status to a pull out or if it was really a throw out..
Mike

was just wondering if they really transitioned somebody just off student status to a pull out or if it was really a throw out

Dont know... but, since I'm opinionated! First, full disclosure: I have a BOC, and I prefer them.
I think most problems come from going from one type of equipment to another... If a student is properly trained on a pull out, and he sticks with that type of system, then great! Same thing for BOCs.... Thats why I dont like to see student rigs based on systems that will not be used by the students when they get their own rigs: SOS, ripcords, etc...
However, I've never seen/noticed any POD student rigs before, but ya never know!

was just wondering if they really transitioned somebody just off student status to a pull out or if it was really a throw out

Yeah, this was a mistake on my part. I meant a BOC throw-out with 6-7foot of bridal.
But AFF was awesome!
Ed