Kui

Storing a rig

newbie question:

How do you guys store your main over the winter season (for those that live up here)? Keep it in the container? or do u pull it out and let it breathe? I was going to remove the main with the risers and store it in a plastic bin separate from my container and throw some of those dry silica packs in it.

What about the reserve? Chances are i will not be jumping the winter and my reserve repack will be about 2 months over due when i begin jumping in 2015. Should i just leave it in there, or should i pop it open when its due and inspect it myself before getting it repacked by a rigger?

No need to disconnect the main from the container. You will probably want to take it out of the dbag and instead stuff it in a pillowcase or other permeable container (i.e. not a plastic trash bag). Dry silica packs are probably not a bad idea but if it was me I would not let them be in direct contact with the canopy, just in case.

Your reserve is meant to stay packed for a long time. There's no issue with simply leaving it as is. Just send the container to your rigger to do the inspection and repack (hence the name I&R) -- he knows what to look for when inspecting the canopy far better than you do.

Well, if you leave your main or reserve packed for more than 6 months those will definitely start disintegrating from the lack of oxygen supply. That's why there is a 6 month cycle period - canopies have to breath in order to maintain the integrity.
:P
Ok, I was joking. Keep the main packed and enjoy the nice opening when you go back to jump next year. Give your container to the rigger to have your reserve repacked when you're ready to start jumping again.

I would suggest leaving both the main and reserve packed.

I would also suggest pulling the pilot chute out of the BOC pouch and leaving it out. The Spandex pouch and the elastic at the mouth will last longer that way.

A big plastic bin is a nice place to keep it. Somewhere that has a reasonably constant temperature is also a good idea.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Somewhere that has a reasonably constant temperature is also a good idea.

Yes. I'd add "somewhere not overly humid," too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Reserve is fine. Leave it. You could do more inadvertent damage messing with it. Open your main and store it in an unpacked manner. Bin, pillow case, whatever. Chain your lines. You'll thank me in the spring. Zp has a tendency to hold folds over time. Most manufacturers will recommend unpacking for storage if any longer than 6 months. F-111 will be fine for years. Put it all in a closet, inside in air conditioning, or "climate controlled" environment.
I've personally pulled a sabre 1 out of a bag that was packed for 3 years and it was brick. It required my actually physically unfolding the packjob. It probably would have worked, but I was fairly amused. As a disclaimer, for all I know, this rig had been sitting in the back of someone's car for the last year out in the sun.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

I stored gear for over ten years packed, then packed it and jumped it. I don't really recommend that, but don't over stress. But I would suggest going to your rigger's and pulling your reserve yourself when it's time for the repack. Also, if you're interested and the rigger has time, you can stay and watch her work, and listen when she points things out.

Familiarity with your gear doesn't breed contempt, it increases confidence and your ability to deal with issues.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Leave.your reserve packed. The rigger SHOULD want it.opened in front of him. And should welcome you to pull it. Main do what you want. Packed not , not packed. Just keep the thing where you want to be.when you sleep, not too cold and not too hot, dry and dark. Out of the damp and not where moisture will.condense in it, I.e. cold garage. Mine are usually laying all over my.finished basement. Like now.;-)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

great! thanks for the tips guys. i generally dont leave my main packed in my rig, but someone said its not a big deal, but i wasnt sure for the long term.

ill definitely pull the reserve when i dump it off with the packer, i just want to make sure the reserve comes out cleanly and properly, i also wanted to take a look at the reserve boost in my rig first hand.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Definitely deploy your reserve in front of your rigger. If it is a new system, he/she will probably want to see it SLOWLY DEPLOY as it comes off your back.
Also remember to take the manual to the rigger at the same time as you take your reserve to the rigger.