stef722

Jedei canopies?

I just bought my first rig (woo hoo!) and got a great deal on an almost-new container with a used Jedei 170 main. The rental gear I've been using is a Pilot 168 main. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on Jedei canopies, so I'm wondering what anyone's experiences have been with them (openings, responsiveness, flaring, etc.)? Thanks in advance!!

stef722

I just bought my first rig (woo hoo!) and got a great deal on an almost-new container with a used Jedei 170 main. The rental gear I've been using is a Pilot 168 main. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on Jedei canopies, so I'm wondering what anyone's experiences have been with them (openings, responsiveness, flaring, etc.)? Thanks in advance!!

Airlock canopy from the 90's. More advanced canopy then the Pilot. Have fun on windy days with the airlocks.

stef722

The Jedei is a fully-elliptical canopy that is not intended for beginners or even intermediate jumpers. You should almost certainly not be flying a Jedei (or any other fully-elliptical canopy) with only 70 jumps. Talk to your instructors at your local DZ.

The Pilot you've been flying is what known as a "lightly-elliptical" or "semi-elliptical" canopy -- it's just slightly more elliptical than a perfect rectangle but is still generally rectangular in shape. You should probably be sticking to a canopy like that -- Pilot, Sabre2, Safire2 (others as well but these seem to be the most popular) -- for now.

A little more info...

The Jedei is a canopy designed by Brian Germain and sold by his company Big Air Sportz. The Jedei is no longer in production, but Brian still makes canopies that are similar to it (for example, http://www.bigairsportz.com/samurai.php). From what I understand, the biggest draw to the Jedei over other fully-elliptical canopies (like the Katana, Crossfire, or Stiletto) is that the Jedei has airlocks (http://www.bigairsportz.com/airlocks.php). Many people swear by them -- in fact, you may be able to get good money for your Jedei from someone who is interested in one. Based on the fact that you've been using a Pilot 168 as rental gear, it's likely that by the time you'd be ready for a fully-elliptical canopy like the Jedei, you'll be flying something much smaller than a 170 (meaning it's probably not worth it for you to hold onto it to fly later).

Thanks Evan. My instructors didn't have any concerns, but I've definitely thought about selling it and getting something closer to what I've been flying, which isn't a big deal. The container was the selling point on this rig....only 3 jumps on it, and it fits like a glove.

stef722

Thanks Evan. My instructors didn't have any concerns, but I've definitely thought about selling it and getting something closer to what I've been flying, which isn't a big deal. The container was the selling point on this rig....only 3 jumps on it, and it fits like a glove.

Usually on the internet it's easy to warn people that they should talk to their instructors. This is not one of those cases. Let me guess, you weight about 135lb max? I say that because they're probably thinking that since you're loading it lightly that it's no big deal. I've seen many a light person put on canopies too small or too agressive because someone gave them that advice. One has a permanent spine injury.

Yeah, sell it and get something more like what you've been jumping.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Thanks Evan. My instructors didn't have any concerns, but I've definitely thought about selling it and getting something closer to what I've been flying, which isn't a big deal. The container was the selling point on this rig....only 3 jumps on it, and it fits like a glove.

Usually on the internet it's easy to warn people that they should talk to their instructors. This is not one of those cases. Let me guess, you weight about 135lb max? I say that because they're probably thinking that since you're loading it lightly that it's no big deal. I've seen many a light person put on canopies too small or too agressive because someone gave them that advice. One has a permanent spine injury.

Yeah, sell it and get something more like what you've been jumping.

Agreed, it sounds like terrible advice, and makes me shake my head.

Unfortunately, the OP (and I mean no insult) made the classic rookie mistake of buying gear on price only, without researching the gear before the purchase.

Back to the "advice" that he'd be ok jumping that canopy now. Calling Brian Germain - I hope you read this thread and weigh in here.

Look, none of us are trying to make you defensive or show you any disrespect, and sorry you felt the need to delete your OP. It's a useful thread because it teaches valuable lessons that seem fairly common for newer jumpers, such as, for example,
- thoroughly investigate gear before you purchase, and
- a high-performance canopy is still a high-performance canopy even if it's lightly loaded, and should only be jumped by people with a high degree of canopy piloting experience and skill.

Separately, it also, hopefully, is a heads-up to instructors to be very discerning about the advice they give to newer jumpers.

What's your weight or wing loading?

An agressive canopy at a light loading can be more docile than the design suggests. That would help a lot, although it still doesn't mean it is necessarily an appropriate canopy for you.

It is also an older Spectra-lined canopy where it could quite well be out of trim by now. (Are line sets still available?) Between that and talk of a lot of deliberate production variations at the time, each canopy could behave somewhat differently for openings, maneuvering, and flare. It's like buying an old Sabre 1 -- it could be easily be a great deal or it could be a bad one. But that's general speculation, as I have only very limited experience with Jedei's.

pchapman

What's your weight or wing loading?

An agressive canopy at a light loading can be more docile than the design suggests. That would help a lot, although it still doesn't mean it is necessarily an appropriate canopy for you.

It is also an older Spectra-lined canopy where it could quite well be out of trim by now. (Are line sets still available?) Between that and talk of a lot of deliberate production variations at the time, each canopy could behave somewhat differently for openings, maneuvering, and flare. It's like buying an old Sabre 1 -- it could be easily be a great deal or it could be a bad one. But that's general speculation, as I have only very limited experience with Jedei's.

I recently got a new line set for my Lotus from Brian
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

stef722

Well, I relied on the advice on my instructors and the fit of the container (and didn't base the decision on price alone).

So you have a container that fits well and is apparently in good shape, so that's a good thing. Now it's time to sell the Jedei and buy a more appropriate main. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sometimes people are well ahead of the curve and can handle the increased performance. That being said, these are rare indeed and newer jumpers often underestimate there lack of skills.

Brian is probably a good source of information on the canopy itself and the suitability for experience level under such a canopy. He is a great guy for giving advice on canopy suitability for experience levels. He saw what was occurring and started running canopy coaching classes which are some of the best.

Watching people downsize and think they can handle it for something to happen that results in them smashing themselves up or killing themselves is not pleasurable for anyone.

The dropzone I jump at this year instigated a policy with regard to canopy wingloadings and shapes trying to guide people in the appropriate direction. I believe its 500 jumps to jump a fully elliptical canopy now.

Some people didn't like it but most understood the reasoning.

Having an experienced tunnel flyer kill themselves landing under a canopy that he could handle on good condition days didn't help him much on the fateful day he turned too low to the ground and killed himself.

Look at what experience level and loadings the manufacturers recommend.

Realize a canopy is cheap compared to a hospital stay and 6 months rehabbing.

skytribe

Sometimes people are well ahead of the curve and can handle the increased performance. That being said, these are rare indeed and newer jumpers often underestimate there lack of skills.

The dropzone I jump at this year instigated a policy with regard to canopy wingloadings and shapes trying to guide people in the appropriate direction. I believe its 500 jumps to jump a fully elliptical canopy now. .

500 jumps? So many changing attitudes. I remember when I first started jumping I bought a Sharpchuter 244 to use for BASE(I never did use it) but the placard on it said something like "this is a high performance ram air canopy, it is required(recommended?) to have a minimum of 500 skydives before jumping this canopy" or so forth. Then I was at a boogie and they had a round you could jump. I have never jumped a round but I thought it was funny that they required a minimum of 500 jumps in order to jump the round! Now isn't that a reversal.

My first WFFC I had 11 months of jumping under my belt and was very current with only a 2 month layoff since FJC for surgery on a broken tib. PD let me demo their Velocity that had just came out that year. Now coming from a Cessna DZ and suddenly being surrounded by tons of jumpers with questionable spots on a ground hungry canopy was too much and a very dumb decision but still I was allowed to do it. Loved the canopy but realized on the second jump that I needed to go back to my own canopy. Again I would never approve of this and should not have even said it but it shows how times have changed. The next year Brian sent me a demo 95 Samurai with no hassle. And yet here we are years later with better piloting knowledge to pass on by more people, more canopy classes that were almost unheard of back then, yet people are frapping themselves in at even a higher rate with even more jumps and as a result we have another 500 jump limit to jump even a lightly loaded "elliptical" canopy. It's nuts. Stop killing yourselves and busting yourselves up people. You are Ruining it for others!
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.