riggerrob

Chasing freebag

I'm confused folks,
so please help me out on this question.
Here is the scenario: you have more than 500 jumps. Your buddy is doing an intentional cutaway on this load. The senior jumper on the load asks you to "chase the freebag."
You,
A - swoop the airblades, drink beer and brag about how great the intentional cutaway looked?
B - swoop the airblades, drink beer and brag about how great you looked swooping the airblades?
C - open at 4,500'. Circle over the loose freebag. Note where it landed in the weeds off the edge of the DZ. Land near the freebag and walk back with the freebag in hand?

i'm gonna go with chuck on this one. swoop the bag, but grab it with my teeth cuz it looks cool that way, run the blades and carve it last minute over to my friend with the intentional cut-away, extending my hand for the beer i have earned.
uhhh, oh wait, i forgot, i am a chick and apparently we can't even land our shit, let alone swoop it.
so i guess in reality, i would try like hell to keep my eye on the bag as i deploy, but lose it when my not-so-stellar body position results in line twists, and as i finally get my canopy under control, i search frantically for the bag, seeing as it is my duty to play the freebag search and rescue team of 1, and as i fixate on the bag, i lose track of my patttern, cutting off two other jumpers under canopy on final approach, eventually landing downwind about a mile from the freebag i was aiming for, where someone has to eventually pick me up in the little golf cart. yes yes, that sounds more like it.
sorry, slow day here, and this looked like a post meant for silliness. the debate about female landing abilities always rolls me on the floor. well, hell, the debates about any non-pc statement in here usually end up pretty damn entertaining.
don't hate me cuz i'm pointless.
Lara

Lara,
I love you for being pointless!
I think the guys just like to rag on us cuz they're jealous that freeflying comes naturally to us - since we're naturally more flexible...
Can't wait to meet you at the Chicks Rock boogie!
Deva

I'm chubby, so my flying abilities are not as good as those long, lean men....I fall faster, which means I will have less time to locate the free bag...
But even if I could locate the bag, I am a girly-girl, and am timid under canopy, so while I *may* see the freebag, I certainly can't follow it anywhere. I could point and yell....
But I smoke, so obviously my shouting abilities are limited...can't get enough air into my lungs so you can hear me from 2,000, while screaming "it's going that way"...
And I'm a woman, so I can't handle my emotions, and anything like actually having to do something constructive under canopy will turn me into a bowl of jello, so even if I knew it was an intentional cut away, I would be freaking out...
Of course, I am top heavy, so I can't land for crap...so look 180 from where I land, and you *might* find the freebag.....but I get the golf cart...
Because I can't walk 150 yards over the fields, as I might hurt myself, twist an ankle, or break a nail...
(Lara, does that about cover it?;))
hopeless....I know.....
Michele

DEVA! are you coming for sure to the chick boogie? how exciting!!! let me know if you need any help getting out here. ( i know it is a long way away. but like i say, it is a slow day and i am easily entertained.)
and thank you for loving me for being random and without a general point. ahhh, sisterhood. PAAAH HA HA HA!
and you are right, they are jealous...of a lot, i think. you know if they had boobies, they would never leave the house. hee hee. JUST KIDDING! sort of. HA!
La
PS AAAAAHHH HA HA HA!! michelle, it hurts, can't breathe. laughing too hard. oh my side.
Edited by westcoastchica on 8/1/01 10:54 AM.

Lara - I will be at the Chicks Rock boogie! I got my A license at Elsinore, and re-injured myself all in one weekend - so I have to go back!
Can't wait to skydive with everyone who was so nice to my gimpy self.
I have pictures from the last time I was there - I've been too lazy to mail them - so I'll just wait even longer and bring them in Oct. I guess I should return Chaz's crutches too...
I don't need help getting out there - but I will need help finding a place to stay...
I understand slow day... I'm experiencing STS myself (Short Timer Syndrome) - Friday is my last day at this job and I've completed all projects - including cleaning out my desk! So bored....
At least I have dz.com to keep my from crashing head first into my desk.
Random thought from Deva ~ Did you know that fish yawn?

How bout "D" which is a combination of C & A (or t&a.)
And, you chicks crack me up! I would be honored to be on a *pretty* load with y'all. At least according to the Fat People thread from our buddy skreamer. Also, I *know* that some of you chicks can land because I've witnessed them.:)

Swoop it out of the air. Hold it with your feet, dropping it as you swoop the blades effortlessly. Look cool, pick up the chics that now think you are a god. Drink beer and service your new found harem! Ahh the perfect day!
"I want to fly like a silly angel, Lean for the sky, straight into the sun"-Fuel
Clay

deva...check your hotmail
shark...tammi is recovering fine from what i hear. don't know her personally, but i know jackie had planned to stay with her this week, cuz the other jackie (griz) stayed with her last week. i am sure she is doing well, she always seemed to be one tough chica.
chuck...i think we may have a new paraperformance games event on our hands...freebag swoopin. what say you to that? i'm in. oh wait, damn, i can't participate...i keep forgetting about the fact that i have no penis. DAMN IT ALL! ha ha ha!
michelle...let your instructor know that you were wondering if you could give swoopin your student gear a shot on your first solo and see what they say. keep a straight face if you can. ought to be worth a good laugh.
now i am seeing how addicting this is...i have done nearly nothing here at work. oh the pain. is there therapy for this?

HAAA!!! you said lilith faire!
look howard (as in "the duck) check some of the other threads if you want to see some serious defensive male bashing. at least the chicas messin around in here can joke about gender without getting all bent. you have seen how it gets in the forum at times.
and forget the shoe to be thrown.. i go for sharp objects...so, uhhh, anyway, how well do you think a duck could swoop with its wings clipped???

Here is the scenario: you have more than 500 jumps. Your buddy is doing an intentional cutaway on this load. The senior jumper on the load asks you to "chase the freebag."
You,
A - swoop the airblades, drink beer and brag about how great the intentional cutaway looked?
B - swoop the airblades, drink beer and brag about how great you looked swooping the airblades?
C - open at 4,500'. Circle over the loose freebag. Note where it landed in the weeds off the edge of the DZ. Land near the freebag and walk back with the freebag in hand?

With my luck, it would go something like this.. Exit about 8-10 seconds after the other jumper.. Watch him dump, then chop.. Keep my eye on the freebag and canopy as I pitch my pilot chute.. After I pitch, I see ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground... Fuck, here we go.. Chop it, get stable, deploy my reserve.. Spot my freebag to the left, his to the right, heading away from each other.. Decisions, decisions.. Ah, fuck his freebag and canopy, I'll follow mine.. My stuff lands in the peas, so I decide to swoop the blades on my reserve.. Holy shit, this thing is sinking like crazy.. 180 front riser turn, start the surf....start the surf.. start the...WHAM! Shit, this thing doesn't flare like my main.. Stand up, get nailed by another jumper who's landing....hey, it's the guy that did the intentional cutaway..
Mike

ARE YOU KIDDING CHUCK!??? i had to watch it on the webcast, cuz i had to work...but i was pullin for her all the way. (even though she was competing agains my boyfriend...gotta support the estrogen here and there) and on a freakin spectre! just too awesome!!!
we were just talking about her this past weekend in the packing area, because some guy made some comment about not being able to swoop a spectre and my mouth flew open before i could even put my pin through my closing loop. i flung brigitte's name around like she was my best friend, HA!
i was just makin those gender jokes because it seemed like this thread was light-hearted and i have seen how bent out of shape the gender wars have become in here at times. i was just joking. totally.
flying my canopy has rapidly become insanely interesting to me, and the running joke about girls not being able to land cracks me up, and i don't take it all that seriously...even though it is true sometimes. what can ya do?
catch me in four years and i will be running after brigitte's title of swoop queen...for now, i flair, i stand, i smile. and that is good enough for me. k?
see, now clay, the "strap-on" comment, that is the response i was looking for. gender-bending prosthetics and skydiving/swoopin...what more can you ask for?
Edited by westcoastchica on 8/1/01 02:04 PM.

I wish I could be half a F%$^ing funny as the ladies! I say as I wipe up urine from reading previous post.
Anyway, here is my philosophy on following the bag or the main. Our DZ has a fairly small landing area surrounded by tall trees (landing on runway is a common practice "Piston Beech's don't come down that fast"). Surrounding us are several large fields only roughly cut or farm fields (rows of soil invisable below the grass) that have taken out more than one leg, including Teresa's ankle.
That being said if ye old reserve rider does not follow it under a big fluffy seven cell "I AINT GOING AFTER IT WITH MY NINE"
I will however watch it and try to stay high so I can see where it lands.
BTW between all these lumpy fields lies meny blackberry bushes (many many thorns and cover much area densly)In fact I am still healing from 3weeks ols vine cuts after chasing a tandem reserve (if you are going to cut it make it a small rig please and try to cut it over a field)
my $.02
Kevin
Going to the Beech(s) this weekend if i can make it till then I'll be Otay

If this guy is doing an intentional cutaway the right way ,there is no need to chase a freebag,there is not a freebag involved..He should be using an intentional cutaway rig with a chest mounted main.You MUST have three canopys to do an INTENTIONAL cutaway.I have heard jumpers talking about doing this and I inform them that if I see it they will not get away with it.Every dropzone should have a intentional cutaway rig so nobody is tempted to do one the wrong way.I have done over 100 intentional cutaways and they are a blast to do.Just do them the right way.

Intentional cutaway rigs seem to be few and far between.. I have not found many DZ's that have 'em.. There is a guy down here in Florida that has one - it's a Strong tandem rig that has been converted.. It's got 2 mains and a reserve.. Each canopy is housed in its own pack tray...yes, there are three.. Reserve on top, then the second main in the middle, first main on the bottom.. Second main is ripcord activated, via a D ring where the reserve handle normally is.. Higher on the harness, there is another cutaway and reserve handle to cutaway the second main and deploy the reserve..
I have also seen people do intentional cutaways with standard sport rigs, carrying a belly mount reserve.. I'm not quite sure exactly what they are going to do if the reserve in the rig malfunctions.. Time for the hook knife, I guess..
Do you know which DZ's have intentional cutaway rigs? I'm trying to get enough people that want to jump the one down here in Florida for the guy to bring it out for a weekend.. I'd like to do several jumps on it, with various types of mals packed, and a couple people flying video..
Mike

JEEZ, it took me a year to get sixty (and if you feel like fucking with me b/c of it BRING IT ON, I don't live near a DZ) but anyway, I have nowhere near five hundred jumps. Therefore I am reluctant to answer this thread. I guess all I really have to say is regarding the intentional cutaway rigs. I think ALL DROPZONES should have these. I want to do one so bad! Rome, GA had one according to a guy I know named Norm. But I don't know if they still do since they are under new management. I think all dz's should have them. I would do an intentional cutaway in an instant. Fuck. I am tempted to cutaway my good main for the simple reason of doing it.
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.