wceviper

I went, I jumped, I kicked its a$$

I did ground school almost 30 days ago. I changed my mind about doing the SL course and decided to do AFF. I choose Byron because it was close to home, And I heard good things about the place. I went to the DZ on July 4th, I wanted to watch them jump, and I also wanted to commit myself to a day for ground school. My good buddy and me went to the DZ and signed up! Cool, now I had myself and my friend committed! No way to keep putting it off now! So we did ground school on July 5th, and I was soooo ready to jump that day. The winds kicked up about 15 minutes after class.

I was bummed, but there was nothing I could do. I had called the DZ a few times over the next few days, Winds were too high. Then I planned to go out there during the week, on Wednesday or Thursday. Then Tuesday night I layed my motorcycle down going 10mph around a corner. Thank god I had all my gear on. I felt fine, rode my bike to a friends house to inspect the damage to my body and my bike. First I checked out the area's that felt a little pain. Nothing to bad, but I bruised my right shoulder. I was nervous for 2 reasons: 1, would I be able to Pull? And 2, would opening shock make it worse? Then I told myself, When I heal, I jump!
Well, after a week of waiting I started to feel good and comfortable with the idea of jumping. So I called and scheduled an appointment for a Wednesday morning. Cool I was ready to go now! I decided to stay the night in Tracy on Tuesday, this way I would only be only 10 minutes from the DZ. I had scheduled for 9am. I got up and ready at 8, had something to eat. Then My cell phone range, The DZ called to say I couldn't jump that day, all the JM's went to a boogie! That set me back another week, all that weekend
I had plans. I tried to get out of them, but couldn't.
Today I went to the DZ, everything was perfect! The winds were low, 3-5mph!They managed to get me on manifest. Then I met Mike, My main side JM. We went over a few things, I was quizzed on hand signals. Then I went through the dive flow! After all that he looked over at me and said, "Lets go skydive!"
Here is what got to me, I had all that time to think about jumping. That was the worst thing! Fear was starting to get to me. So I kicked fears ass last night before I went to bed. And got all the nervous stuff out of my system. I woke up feeling ready, got on my bike, and headed strait to the DZ.
Back to the skydive part :) I got into a jumpsuit, and my JM grabbed a rig for me. Student gear is so heavy! I was jumping a 260 square foot parachute! I put my left arm into the rig first, then my right, something I was taught in class. Then we did another gear check, this time on me. I got my helmet, goggles and altimeter next! woohoo! My JM and RJM and I walked to the waiting area.
Now we are getting on the plane, a C-206. They sit me right by the door! My JM closed and locked the door. During the climb to altitude, I kept going through the dive flow in my head. Every thousand feet I would look out and see what that altitude looked like. On the way up my JM pointed out that my RJM was taking a catnap. I started laughing to myself. I can't wait to be that comfortable on the plane.
We finally made it too 11,000 feet. Then my JM opened the door, what a rush that was! I was watching him direct the pilot. Then he stepped out to the wing, and then it was my turn. WOW that wind is tough! I moved my feet slow onto that step, then grabbed onto the wing strut. Did the Check in an out routine. Then we stepped away from the plane!
I arched hard, we got stable and I did the COA! Got thumbs up from both JM's. Then started my PRPC, the first time I felt the handle with the top of my hand, them my JM moved my hand towards it. The second one was good, got a nice grip, and then let go. Then the 3rd, Felt good, after number 3 I knew I could pull at pull time! I finished everything at 8.5k then did my second COA, got a thumbs up from the RJM, Looked to my main JM and he told me to put my legs out. I did that right away. The 6k came up. Time to relax and pull. Gave the 5-5 and waved off, I reached back, grabbed the handle and gave it a strong smooth pull. I looked over my right should, I seen the pilot shoot go up. Then I checked over my left, Now I know the air burble is gone!
Over my head was this awesome blue parachute. Big and square, slider more than half way down, and yes, flying straight! I reached for the toggles and did the controllability check. Good canopy, no need to chop it! It feels so good up here, so peaceful, so natural. I just keep telling myself I'll be up here again soon. Now I can see the DZ, I turn my parachute towards it and then I see the parachutes of my JM and RJM. They Are
Spiraling down, racing to the ground. At about 4,000 feet I hear my JM on the radio, but it is hard to hear him. The radio is breaking up, So I go to the area over the DZ that the JM talked to me about, I hung out (No pun intended) there until I could hear him better. At about 3,000 the radio is clear and The JM is asking me to do turns. I am doing everything he says. Then 1,000 feet is here and I start my downwind leg, I am watching the altimeter and at 500 feet I turn onto the base leg. It is amazing how much ground you cover under canopy, I couldn't believe how fast I went from one side of the landing area (Which is Huge) to the other. Now I turn onto final approach and the ground is starting to get big quick! I hear my JM telling me to put my arms all the way up, now I am in full flight and approaching the ground a little faster. The ground is almost here and I can hear my JM over the radio, saying "Flare, Flare, Flare!" I pull the toggles down in a smooth motion. Then I realize I am pulling them a little too fast and a stop for just a split second and then pull the toggles all the way and I am on the ground with my feet again!
I grab 1 toggle and race around the side of the canopy to collapse it. Now I am gathering the lines and the canopy. I make sure I am not dragging anything on the ground and head for the hanger. Debriefing went very well. I need to work on keeping my legs out during freefall. Overall the entire jump went great! I kicked Level 1's
ass and it felt good.
So I purchased my Level 2 jump ticket before I left the DZ. I will be going back this weekend!
What an awesome feeling it is!
What is this big rock I just landed on? oh yeah! Earth!
-Jason

My first Twenty Way
This was the most amazing skydive ever! I was sooo scared before the dirt dive, pacing back and forth, my heart was racing. As soon as the organizer took over and started organizing the 20 way TEXXAS STAR, they put me in the base and I just got a sudden rush.
I looked around the 5 way base of my skydive with a very very humble sense of honor. I couldn't believe some of the people that were jumping with me and I felt instantly at ease.
Everyone smiled the entire time, in the dirt dive, in the mock up, in the plane. The smiles made me feel even calmer.
One Jumper sat next to me in the plane giving me tips the entire ride to altitude, (and after every tip, he said "and smile") I was so absorbed and intensely listening that I didn’t have time to be nervous or scared.
I flipped on exit (from the center with 9? floating) but found my slot and built the base and smiled my ass off. I kept my eyes glued to the opposite side of the formation. Falling level. Second point, but built a 10 way round in the center, still smiling my ass off.... With Cat - (few cat's out)
I had really nice clean air when I tracked because I realized, MY TRACK IS NOT AS FLAT some others ....First time I ever tracked away from 19 other people. Need to work on that and, lots of landing area!!!
Man, guess that's another cure for me. Nothing wrong with big ways....
I hope I thanked everyone enough. I couldn't put into words the honor and excitement I felt other than to say THANK YOU. They told me later, after the skydive..."You know, on the base of that skydive, the other 4 jumpers with you had over 36,000 skydives combined." How do you thank someone for organizing that kind of thing....for you?
Fly Your Slot !

Paula, are you talking about the TeXXas 20-way Stars at SDD at the Jerry Schrimsher Memorial Boogie?!?!
Woman, congratulations and kudos. Awesome that you were part of it. I don't have good enough RW skills to have been part of it... but I was very aware. Good on ya!! What color patch did you get? pink?
Cheers go out to Jerry's family and friends, and especially his two sons and his wife, Sherry. I was never more emotionally touched than during the memorial videos after skydiving on Saturday. Hugs and blue skies to all around.
Sis (Yes, I can still be sentimental!)

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.

My first Twenty Way
I know exactly how you feel. Starting out at Raeford DZ I always seemed to end up on jumps where I was the only one that had under 2000 jumps.( This was when I had like 20-25 jumps) Always felt funny but I was honored to jump with those people and they always made me look so good!
"So, just tell me nothins wrong, get undressed and spend the night!"-Eve 6
Clay