Doasfu

Yikes!

Hey now...That was my first jump courtesy the fine fine instructors at Ft. Benning, GA. Thats not a T-10, they said steering toggles which makes it a "State of the Art" -1 C. They dont steer much and you still land like a bag of shit but at least you have some control over your fate...LOL
"I.....am Powdered Toast Man!"
Clay

Hey now...That was my first jump courtesy the fine fine instructors at Ft. Benning, GA. Thats not a T-10, they said steering toggles which makes it a "State of the Art" -1 C. They dont steer much and you still land like a bag of shit but at least you have some control over your fate...LOL

I thought the T-10 had steering toggles. I know the -1B's I jumped had no steering whatsoever (unless you count trying to do a pullup on the riser as steering), but I remember some of the instructors talking about T-10's and how they could be steered. Hmm. Maybe I've just forgotten. It has been over 6 years and I said there was no way in hell I was jumping another Army parachute after those 5. Something about wanting to keep my knees and back in one piece.

I hate to sound like the old coot, but in a way, learning under a round has some advantages.
As long as the spot is good, there is less of a chance of student flying away to parts unknown. Also, PLFs really mean something, so you really learn them.
I would also mention that no one ever learns to spot anymore, now that everthing is done by GPS. And no, spotting doesn't mean knowing when to exit on the jump run, it means knowing how to direct the plane to jump run.
Well, I suppose I can live without all these things, except the PLF. I've taken some pretty hard hits recently, and walked away with not even a bruise. Either I'm unusually lucky, or all those landings under ParaCommanders paid off.

Hey, people who learn at C-182 DZs learn to spot! I did, anyway, and I know the people at OSC do...that doesn't mean I have practiced it lately...hehe! You learn and then you forget!
PLFing becomes second nature too, when your landings suck as much as mine used to!!
Cheers,
Sis
Before you judge me, take a look at you...

Nope...the T-10 has no steering toggles. You can affect the direction and slip for wind slightly by pulling a 1 or 2 riser slip in the direction you want to go. The MC-1 C actually has panels "Cut Out" in the back that gives it about 8 Knts forward drive and it has steering toggles. I havent jumped a Paracommander before but I know someone that uses one for water training....LOL
"I.....am Powdered Toast Man!"
Clay