cyberskydive

Super otters?

about 15 minutes give or take a couple

Yep....I timed our acsent once and it took about 13 minutes for a full load. Not only does it matter on how many people there are, it also depends on the weather. The hotter it is, the longer it takes. (I don't know why, but a pilot could probably explain....Aviatrr??)
Our website...updated 7 August...

what do you jump from Zen?? Do you have some deal worked out with NASA??

lol!
Super Otter. I can remember when it took us ~25 mins to get to altitude before the super otter engines were put on. When we got the new engines we were amazed at how much faster it was (12 minutes sometimes). Now we're like "Man this is taking forever." Some folks are never happy. :D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hotter air = less dense air. This makes the airplane's wing as well as the propellers less efficient, because they've got less to work with.

And remember that thing above your head that you're trying to land with is also a wing that will suffer from less dense air.

got a big dose of "why is this taking so long" a couple of weeks ago... competition at Delmarva in their otter (not super at all), taking like 25 minutes to 10.5.... back to cross keys Frankenotter climbing between 1,300 and 1,500 FPM less than 10 minutes - hardly any time for a nap at all. It is easy to get spoiled. (Rob has a timer and I got a look at it once, he was doing 18 minute turn arounds - including loading the plane - to 13.5)

Hotter air = less dense air. This makes the airplane's wing as well as the propellers less efficient, because they've got less to work with.

Plus the fact that the engines produce less power at higher ambient temps.. Just remember.. The altitude+hot temp(or either one by itself) also affects the way your canopy flies..
Mike

aw, the frankenotter is Robs Baby. Did you see him during the 108 way attempts, the caravan and franki were both gone to other dz's. The replacement Super Otter came with its own pilot. Rob didnt know what to do with himself. He looked totally lost.
have you jumped with John behind the controls yet? Yet another darn good pilot at xkeys....

Skydive Atlnata has had a super otter for most of the summer and we are really spoiled. We got the slow A$$ blue otter back for 2 weekends and almost died. Fast is good in jump planes....not in some other things.
Happy Birthday a day late Dave....good year BTW. Guess we are aged to perfection...LOL.
If you are in Chambersburg tell David Bradford HELLO for me. He just moved up there recently.

Yep, Frankenotter is a beast. I got the pleasure of riding it at Louisburg. He also swooped the tent city at about 20 feet while climbing out on Sunday morning. Talk about a wake-up call. I agree there's not enough time to take a nap because of the fast climb on it. Also, with the bench seats and high rate of climb you're leaning about 45 degrees to the rear, so it's doubtful you could sleep even if there was time.
Speaking of Frankie, did they give it a new paint job? I heard they were planning to paint it (blasphemy!)

It's going to get painted over the winter. Apparently the FAA is drawn to a plane like flies to cow pies when they see a multi-part aircraft at a ramp. "it's not how you feel, it's how you look". I've nodded off before (light load, you can spread out) and been awakened with everyone getting ready, didn't take too long!

Thanks for the BD wish chippe- I mean Dave, happy belated to you, too!!! I"m spending the BD at the DZ with the teamies, jumping like crazy- nothing better for a birthday than a whole two days of 4way. Training again, uh oh!!! Capricious is all over Chambersburg, watch out!!! We may be in the same hotel as JS but I'm not sure.
GO JETSTREAM!! (we are fully expecting you guys to create a Capricious cheer. It's only fair)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks