rendezvous

Jumping in the winter

You have to experience it at least once! I got about 20 winter jumps in this past winter. The worst part is spoting a Beech 18 out the side door and having an open face helment on... COLD!!! Its kinda different having to bundle up like an Artic Expedition to skydive. Coldest I've jumped is when it was a WARM 28 degrees on the ground. We were guessing that it was about -15 to -20 at exit. Needless to say spending 20-25 minutes in a unheated airplane in that weather makes you LOVE summer!
Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

Geese, you northerners must have balls of steal! As a tropical girl I jumped all last winter and the coldest was about 40some degrees. I can't imagine what it's like jumping in colder weather than that. Full-face helmets make me claustraphobic.
Then again, not too many artic-raised skydivers like jumping here during the dead of summer either. The heat index is 105 degrees and there's nowhere to go in the AC. The packing tent is wet w/ sweat:)It's all a matter of what you're used to I guess.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

It's really cool...I did a jump last January on a sunset load...got it on video...made for an awesome video with the sun just above the horizon and the ground covered with snow! Just be sure to wear layers under your jumpsuit, liners under your gloves, and a full face helmet. Also bear in mind that your canopy will fly a little differently because of the cold air.
Hackey

I can't imagine what it's like jumping in colder weather than that. Full-face helmets make me claustraphobic.

I did lots of jumps last winter and all of them were with an open face helmet. I wish I would've had a full face but I can't justify spending that much for something I'll use 2 months a year. Landing in snow is an AWESOME feeling.
I've been bad, I need a spanking:$

When the door opens you wonder,"what the hell am I doing, it's to cold to be doing this", but once your out you don't think about it. When I'm under canopy it's cold again, and I just want to get down. I have to wear gloves. But I'd go nuts if I didn't keep on jumping, no matter how cold.
Blue Skies
Teresa

When the door opens you wonder,"what the hell am I doing, it's to cold to be doing this", but once your out you don't think about it. When I'm under canopy it's cold again, and I just want to get down. I have to wear gloves. But I'd go nuts if I didn't keep on jumping, no matter how cold.

So True!!!! Winter jumps can be alot of fun. We jump here as long as it is not much colder than -10 C (approx 0 F). Talk about fun swoops on landing....a perfect time to learn to swoop too as the air is nice and dense and the snow is soft if you mess up! :D A full face is a must and even with good gloves, my hands still freeze while under canopy, but it is all worth it in the end. :)Tee

I did my SCR in the winter time. At the DZ I was jumping at you got a beer bath when you did your 1st 8-way. Then the pitot turned the prop of the plane on behind me. You talk about being COLD! I ran as fast as I could to get in a hot shower.
Blue Skies
Teresa

as i said after my first tandem jump (which was in the winter) "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! I CANT FEEL MY FINGERS, MY EARS ARE KILLING ME!!!! BUT I DONT CARE! I DONT CARE! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!"
...... get my point? its well worth it..... Just make sure their some kick ass skydives so its all worth while.
kelly, the NorthEast queen

The only problem I have ever had jumping in the cold is my goggles freezing up during freefall. That's really scary! But keeping your altimeter on your goggle helps! I can't wear a full face helmet-I freak out. But even in winter, I know plenty of RW'ers who have had their full face shields frost over. Oh yeah, I forgot about the frostbite. It's kind of like bruises from a bad pack-job. Deal with it, but don't forget it!
Billy
"Son, you've got a panty on yer head!"

Jumping in the cold sucks, but what's a man to do? I always wear my factory diver in the winter. That helps SO much, but you must be very carefull not to let your helmet fog and ice over in freefall. never pull your helmet down (or flip the lid down) until just before exit. That cuts down on the condensation which is the cause of freezing in the first place. As far as gloves go, I never wear anything thicker than winter-weight Neumans or Nomex flight gloves. While your hands will absolutely kill after opening, those gloves with "feel" are much safer for pulling handles, etc. My biggest problem with gloves is at the "unstow brakes" phase. If I catch a finger in the mix under my 2.4 wingloaded 75 foot canopy, then the SHIT IS ON! It is a complete motherfucker to untangle gloves from your steering line stows without having your main spin you into the ground. As such, I am VERY carefull when I unstow.
Just some things to think about, but nothing to keep me on the ground, that's for sure.
Chuck

Coldness was the farthest thought in my head when doing two of my first five jumps in the winter.
It wasn't until a good couple of minutes after the landing that I stopped thinking about the dive and realized my fingers were completely numb.
ADA2D -- Some have good ones, some have bad ones. I think mine has always been stuck in the clouds.

I would definitely try jumping somewhere cold. I'm kinda diggin the whole falling toward then landing in snow thing. It would have to be like skiing though. Snow's great to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. That's why I moved from NY to LA in the first place!
-can't you trip like I do-
Clubber

Winter Jumping in the NE is an acquired taste. I definitely don't jump as frequently in the winter. When I do I DEFINITELY use a full face, and layer under my suit. Usually thermals and a turtle neck or fleece neckwarmer of some sort is OK- I don't recommend Tevas though. =c) As for hands- I used a latex liner- regular surgical gloves are fine- they trap heat really well- I put hand warmers inside there with my normal skydiving gloves on top. The hand warmers aren't that bulky at all and when you grab toggles they warm your fingertips too.
I'd still rather go to Florida though. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

As for hands- I used a latex liner- regular surgical gloves are fine

Heheheh... I wonder what kind of reaction you get when people see you pulling on the rubber gloves before going on the plane...

I'd still rather go to Florida though. =c)

One word: COLLEGIATES!!!!
Blues, squares,
PTiger

my club jumps regularly in the winter here in germany. we normally dont jump above 1,200 meters (4000ft) but hop n pops are fun if thats all ya can do. somtimes we would go to 7000 and do hop n pops for a little crw. opps gota go... work callssss

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

Here in Florida, it's a damn cold winter day if you see us wearing pants instead of shorts.

Hey there Mike....maybe I'll just have to come down there in Feb and check it all out for myself. However, by then, it'll probably be about in the 100's by then, eh? *sigh*
I guess this will put my ski gear into even more use. Hand warmers, turtle fur, thick ass socks, etc....I can even use my snowboarding boots for warmth. That would work. :)--------------
Drop on in...leave a message