Fall0ut

New Square1 Fullface Helmet KISS

So, full disclosure up front, I'm sponsored by Square 1 specifically to help with the KISS helmet. I've had mine for a few months and have done quite a few jumps and an hour or two of tunnel time in it. Mostly free flying in the sky and dynamic in the tunnel. Everything from 2 way head down and angle jumps, up to the HD sequential world records that happened at Spaceland. Before I started jumping the KISS, I was jumping Cookie G2s (that's the carbon fiber version) and actually have two, one sky, one tunnel.

Right now, Square 1 is in production mode so you can buy the KISS helmet from them in different colors since I believe they have all the color options that the Phantom has (except the KISS is always matte paint). Standard coloring is flat black, you can purchase it with a solid (again, flat) color and a black chin piece or get the helmet custom with whatever color shell and chin piece. I have a white helmet with a green chin, some people may have seen me with it since I've jumped at a few DZs with it. Unfortunately, their website didn't have all these options last time I checked it so, you may want to email or call if you'd like a custom color scheme.

The KISS is meant to compete more directly with the Cookie G3 (since the G2 isn't really produced any more) but, since I've never owned a G3 it's hard for me to compare the two. Having said that, I have talked with a heap of people about the G3 and most of my friends jump them and fly them in the tunnel so, I'm not totally unaware of it.

If people have questions about the helmet, I'd be happy to answer. As far as I know, Steve Lefkowitz has been rocking his KISS way longer than me, including the 2014 USPA Nationals where it was 35º on the ground.

Before going into my review of the helmet, I'd like to give you all peeps some of my experience.
I've been on a stomach flying team as a camera flyer and an inside flyer on a 4 way VFS team.
I have done AFF alone(scary) and with another instructor
I have stomach flown while video taping tandems
I have been on tracking dives
I have been on angle dives (formerly known as automonauti when they were lame and only done by bad flying Europeans)
I have been on hybrids as the hanger, sometime soon I'll get the opportunity to fly on my stomach in one
I have been on lots of vertical world records, including the biggest round ever last may in Spaceland.

I usually wear an open face because i'm a man. I've never worn the KIss. Feel free to contact me about my accomplishments, I love talking about myself.

Oh, almost forgot, I've been under canopy when the space Shuttle lifted off and I saw it with my bare eyes because of my awesome open face.
When I'm not skydiving I like to internet skydive on this awesome website full of nothing but facts.
  • Like 1

The guys at Square One aren't fans of the idea of cutting away an important piece of safety equipment in an emergency so, they're more interested in working out how to have low snag camera setups and, if anything, cutting the camera away and keeping your helmet. Obviously this means it's not an option for countries where cutaway systems are mandated at this time, unfortunately. This point has been raised.

Initially I was a little skeptical on the "cut away the camera, not the helmet" idea but, honestly, it makes a lot more sense.

danielcroft

The guys at Square One aren't fans of the idea of cutting away an important piece of safety equipment in an emergency so, they're more interested in working out how to have low snag camera setups and, if anything, cutting the camera away and keeping your helmet. Obviously this means it's not an option for countries where cutaway systems are mandated at this time, unfortunately. This point has been raised.

Initially I was a little skeptical on the "cut away the camera, not the helmet" idea but, honestly, it makes a lot more sense.

I've been a long time advocate of Grellfab mounts.

They attach to the part of the helmet least likely to entangle with something. In the event of an entanglement they are held on by two rubber bands - meaning your GoPro won't try to decapitate you with your helmet (at least not more than it can before the rubber bands pop...). They have a cutaway.

Useful piece of gear.

I tend to agree with them but for a different reason.
Not so much because losing an helmet midflight is that big of a deal, since it wasn't that big of a safety device at that point anyway,

But more because we are talking about full-faces here and what we call cutaways are really only different systems to quick-release a buckle, removing the actual helmet from the face is a whole different deal.

From this point of view, simply removing the snag point might be an actual more effective solution.
Not losing the helmet is a welcomed side-effect to me.

If there were such mounts from the BH Aero (I know, I know, it doesn't have the chin holes so...), I'd buy one yesterday.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

lyosha

I've been a long time advocate of Grellfab mounts.

I have one for my kiss, in my opinion it's not safe to use. I hooked it on my riser when doing a 270º. I did 1 jump with it and took it off because of that. On G3s, the Grellfab is much lower profile (and the helmet itself is a little more round, as well) so, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I've sent feedback to them telling them this.

Di0

Not so much because losing an helmet midflight is that big of a deal, since it wasn't that big of a safety device at that point anyway

There seems to be a common misconception among skydivers that helmets don't matter. This results in helmet manufacturers designing helmets as fashion accessories (more carbon fiber, less padding, etc.) because that's what we buy. Fact is, if you have a tumble on landing, you're definitely better off with a helmet, even if it's CF and comfort foam. If you're
flying your reserve that you may never have jumped in what could be a high stress, off landing, you *want* a helmet that'll protect you from a tumble. That's why I originally bought the G2 because of the D3O material in the helmet. While D3O isn't some magic material, it's a step ahead of comfort foam in our helmets. The use of CF is problematic as well due to the stiffness of the material transferring impact forces to your head.

Here's a thought experiment for you: imagine running through your landing area as fast as you can and then diving head first at the ground. Do you think you're better off with a poorly designed helmet or none? Now take that and extrapolate to helmets with good foam or D3O and, some flexibility built into the shell (kiss/G3), I know I want a helmet on my head.

None of that was intended to invalidate your point, just that I disagree with the premise that helmets don't do anything.

danielcroft

. Fact is, if you have a tumble on landing, you're definitely better off with a helmet, even if it's CF and comfort foam.

That is far from fact, in reality it really depends on the individual circumstances.

There have been studies that show that non impact absorbing helmets can increase the incidence of brain trauma.

I like my KISS a ton, and I am unarguably better with the helmet when I get kicked in the face, or a tandem students stands up and makes me scrape my head off a part of the plane.

It might also result in more force imparted to my brain if I hit hard.

They are primarily face and scalp protecting audible holders.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

It might also result in more force imparted to my brain if I hit hard.

How do you establish that a helmet will increase forces on your brain?

piisfish

Fact: at one point, full face carbon fiber helmets were prohibited in most of Europe due to serious injuries/deaths caused by helmet breakage and ensuing injuries.

What type of injuries are we talking about? Splintering carbon fibre causing lacerations?

I bought it too.

The helmet is very well made with practically unobstructed field of view, I literally can't see my helmet when I'm wearing it.

I couldn't fit my head into an XXL Cookie G3, but the KISS is a great fit in an XL size. It's for the people with the big oval shaped heads (long from chin to the top of the head). I also like the sound isolation. When the visor is closed the loudness drops up to 50%.

I am super happy with the purchase. The tightening system feels very secure and it's immposible to take it off when u lock it in place. I also breathed heavily trough the mouth on the ground to try and fog it up, couldn't do it. :D

All in all, couldn't be happier. Tried Cookie, Phantom X and KISS before purchase. The phantom XL was to tight on my head.

Hey I know this is an old post, but someone who is shopping might find it useful. I finally broke down and forked out the big bucks for a kiss. I have jumped the Phantom XV for a couple of years, but I never cared for the darth vader vent over my mouth. Other than that, I really liked that helmet, but I decided to try out a kiss. The helmet is very well made, and exceptionally comfortable. I have a large oval shaped head, and am unable to even try on the Cookie or Z1. They literally won't even go over my face. The XXL Phantom fit great and so does the kiss. The exterior audible pocket is cool, and my old pro dytter snapped securely in place. I mounted a GP clip to the top of my helmet, and modified the faceshield by adding a new slot so it clips open at the point to where the mount is. The opening and closing function is the same as the Phantom, so I am used to it. My only complaint, besides the PRICE, is that I am unable to remove the foam padding in the front. I was able to tear out the padding on the Phantom, but the kiss padding is also glued in, and is stitched together with the side padding. So at this point, I'm not sure I am going to be able to remove it without messing up the side panels. This really isn't a complaint, but the latches to me are a bit of an over kill. I liked the simplicity of the Phantom closing system, so to me the large metal mechanical closing latches seem overly complicated. They work, don't get me wrong, but it is just a light weight skydiving helmet, not a space helmet. My two cents worth...
sdc

freefli

Before going into my review of the helmet, I'd like to give you all peeps some of my experience.
I've been on a stomach flying team as a camera flyer and an inside flyer on a 4 way VFS team.
I have done AFF alone(scary) and with another instructor
I have stomach flown while video taping tandems
I have been on tracking dives
I have been on angle dives (formerly known as automonauti when they were lame and only done by bad flying Europeans)
I have been on hybrids as the hanger, sometime soon I'll get the opportunity to fly on my stomach in one
I have been on lots of vertical world records, including the biggest round ever last may in Spaceland.

I usually wear an open face because i'm a man. I've never worn the KIss. Feel free to contact me about my accomplishments, I love talking about myself.

Oh, almost forgot, I've been under canopy when the space Shuttle lifted off and I saw it with my bare eyes because of my awesome open face.
When I'm not skydiving I like to internet skydive on this awesome website full of nothing but facts.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!