evan85

Finding cutaway mains -- Plexus FIDO system

I just happened to look at the Plexus site and saw some information about the FIDO paratelemetry system they use to track and locate cutaway Plexus mains. (http://www.plexustandem.com/products/fido.html)

For folks who jump at a dropzone using Plexus tandems (I do), is it possible to obtain and install such a system on my own main canopy? Would the Plexus system be able to track it? What would the cost be? It seems this is a great option--much better than the little bluetooth doodads that people talk about but only work up to 150m or some such. Even non-Plexus dropzones could get the tracking device and offer that as a service for their jumpers. Anyone have any details on this and whether it could be retrofitted on a sport rig?

The plexus system is one that George Galloway was marketing a few years ago for sport rigs. It's was simply based on off the shelf falconry tracking systems that attach to falcons and hawks. In theory he had designs for most major manufacturers to alter one main riser to carry the transmitter. It is kept off by a magnet and when cutaway and removed from the magnet the transmitter activates. I though the transmitter was mounted in a pouch on the riser (has to be long enough to hold the antenna) and the magnet on a short lanyard attached to the harness. This is all from 10 year old memory of Paratelemetry company for sport rigs. New Plexus version seems to be on RSL lanyard. The old sport version may have been also. Search forums for old threads. Kicker is to find it you need a directional receiver that's several hundred dollars. George may have a use patent on this, don't know.

Never caught on. Paratelemetry website no longer in existence.

Modifying the RSL is modifying a TSO component. Main risers aren't. Let your imagination go.

But call George. He may be willing to sell you one based on old designs. Would require magnet pouch added to container.

Here is just one site that has similar equipment.
https://www.marshallradio.com/marshall-radio-telemetry-american-falconry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

evan85

I just happened to look at the Plexus site and saw some information about the FIDO paratelemetry system they use to track and locate cutaway Plexus mains. (http://www.plexustandem.com/products/fido.html)

For folks who jump at a dropzone using Plexus tandems (I do), is it possible to obtain and install such a system on my own main canopy? Would the Plexus system be able to track it? What would the cost be? It seems this is a great option--much better than the little bluetooth doodads that people talk about but only work up to 150m or some such. Even non-Plexus dropzones could get the tracking device and offer that as a service for their jumpers. Anyone have any details on this and whether it could be retrofitted on a sport rig?

There are technologies that are way beyond that stuff commercially available today (google search "gps micro tracker" or "sms tracker"). So many in fact that I doubt anyone wants to invest in marketing them to skydivers for fear that jumpers will just obtain the same thing or something similar on their own for less cost.

Technology is moving so fast that it's getting tough to find something worth investing in. No one wants to spend money applying a technology to a discipline-specific customer only to have the customer go get the same thing for less without the middle man involved.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX