diazmoy

JFX vs Velocity

I have about 500 jumps on my Katana 97 (wingload 1.7) and I want to move to a crossbrace canopy. I'm thinking to get a JFX89 or a Velo90 (wingload will be 1.9) so anyone who has flown both canopies could help me to decide which one is a better canopy. So far I've heard that the JFX has best oppenings than the Velo but the JFX dive isn't as good as the Velo. Is that true? Thanks for the help!

To give you better feedback and recommendations please tell us more about yourself, begin by filling out your profile. Also tell us what you are looking for in a canopy and what your aim with it is.

Also this is gear and rigging, should be moved to the "Swooping and canopy control" forum.

First off, 1.9 on an xbrace is a pretty low wing loading... I've never jumped one loaded less than 2.4 so not sure how it translates...

I have sold both my Velos and now jump JFX's. Most of my jumping is team training and I basically got tired of the Velo's slow searchy off-heading openings and chopping them on a weekly basis when using packers. A bad opening on my JFX is a 10 degree off heading. It is by far the nicest opening canopy I have ever jumped.

Velo undoubtedly goes further for the same turn, but I couldn't give a fuck about the last 10%. Neither is a top end competition canopy any more. I do my turns at the same height on each, so I don't buy the shorter recovery arc.