shancat1

Disconnect reserve

Nothing goes with it except the links. if you disconnect it I'd get a cardboard square and punch holes for each riser and mark them. Also put a hole on each side for steering lines and mark them. Connect the links to the holes that correspond to the riser they came from and daisy chain the lines to try to ensure you don't have a step through. The canopy, slider, lines and links is all you sell with the reserve. The toggles, free bag, and pilot chute go with the container.

It doesn't make too much of a difference since the rigger that assembles it will do a full inspection and line check after it is hooked up but it will certainly make their job easier.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

mcordell

If you wanted to get really stingy you could keep the links. If you do that, use small zip ties to attach the lines to the cardboard and try to keep the lines in the same order so they don't have to be untangled later.

DON'T DO THAT! The links and any slider bumpers are supplied with the canopy and should remain with the canopy. Along with the slider and nothing else. Same rules apply to main canopies. Slider, links, canopy. Nothing else. Simple.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skytribe

How about the packing data card with the deserve ?

Traditionally in North America, the data card went with the reserve canopy. That way you would have a record of service bulletins compliance, modifications, strength testing and such.

These are all no longer much of a factor, and most people will leave the card with the container if they are separated. (Data cards are supplied with new containers, and containers are now far more likely to need compliance with SBs.) Some countries require separate cards for container, reserve, and AAD.

Meaning there is no clear answer to your question. Sorry.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yea the data card can go with the reserve as well....good point. That being said, I have bought new reserves and used and with one of my used reserves I got no links. I figured they probably had purchased soft links and wanted to keep them for the new reserve. It's not like they are hard to come by. It did have soft bumpers on the lines though so I got those. I don't see why it would be critical to have the links come with the canopy since they are an extremely easy part to come by.

Yea assuming it has metal links it is the same. Use a screw driver inside the link to give you a way to hold it when you torque with a wrench to loosen the barrel. Make sure you turn it the right way. ;)

ETA: Don't lose the safety stow on the free bag. The free bag won't have rubber bands as locking stows like your main d-bag. It will have one continuous loop of elastic shock cord and it can come completely out of the free bag, although it probably won't, when you unstow the lines. You need to make sure you have that still. Just in case you find a shock cord loop on the ground when you are done and have no idea what it is for.

mcordell

Yea assuming it has metal links it is the same. Use a screw driver inside the link to give you a way to hold it when you torque with a wrench to loosen the barrel. Make sure you turn it the right way. ;)

ETA: Don't lose the safety stow on the free bag. The free bag won't have rubber bands as locking stows like your main d-bag. It will have one continuous loop of elastic shock cord and it can come completely out of the free bag, although it probably won't, when you unstow the lines. You need to make sure you have that still. Just in case you find a shock cord loop on the ground when you are done and have no idea what it is for.

Might I suggest ~

If someone isn't a rigger or working under the supervision of one, they leave the disconnect alone and get it done by a 'professional'.

I understand that it's not rocket surgery - but it's also not wrenching on an old lawnmower.

I saw a fairly new jumper attempting to remove the french links on a main not long ago...he used a large standard screw driver with the sharp head itself inside the link and a vise grip on the locking nut.

Burrs are HELL on suspension lines. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

gowlerk

***How about the packing data card with the deserve ?

Traditionally in North America, the data card went with the reserve canopy. That way you would have a record of service bulletins compliance, modifications, strength testing and such.

These are all no longer much of a factor, and most people will leave the card with the container if they are separated. (Data cards are supplied with new containers, and containers are now far more likely to need compliance with SBs.) Some countries require separate cards for container, reserve, and AAD.

Meaning there is no clear answer to your question. Sorry.

It's a packing data card. Even if it says "mirage, Wings, etc", unless you think that closing flaps is packing, leave the card with whatever it is that you are packing - which is always the reserve.

mcordell

being the proud owner of a new rig, main and reserve, i put the main on myself, fell for the same thing..

:)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

airtwardo

Might I suggest ~

If someone isn't a rigger or working under the supervision of one, they leave the disconnect alone and get it done by a 'professional'.

I understand that it's not rocket surgery - but it's also not wrenching on an old lawnmower.

This.

If you really want to disconnect it yourself, at least have a rigger supervise. Like Twardo said, it's not rocket surgery but doing something wrong could adversely effect the airworthiness of the systems components.

It would be far too easy to offer a rigger a cold beverage in trade for supervising. Hell, ya might learn something about your gear as well.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You know, the funny thing is, in my mind it is such a simple task. I never did anything that wasn't directly supervised by a rigger when I first started, but I guess I never really thought of how people could screw it up. Vice grips? Really? Sometimes I have a hard time looking past the common sense to see how it's possible to break stuff.:S

If it was a simple task for the poster, then maybe he wouldn't have asked the question? ;)

Most people would have no problems disconnecting their reserve, putting it on a canopy card, and sending it off to the next buyer.

Other people would take the opportunity to leave the next rigger a mess of lines, stick the toggle velcro to the lines a few times, and otherwise muck it up.

:|:P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'd be more apprehensive to give someone internet advice on hooking it back up. The saving grace on someone disconnecting and selling their own reserve is that as long as the rigger is thorough on the other end, it will be inspected again when it is assembled and packed. I have gotten 3 used reserves. One was from a jumper. It was still packed in the container I got with it. One was from a DZO and master rigger. It was zip tied to the card with the lines all daisy chained, the canopy folded and put in a plastic bag so carefully it closely resembled the new ones I have ordered. The most recent was less than a month ago from a different dzo and master rigger. It was still attached to the container I got with it but the reserve was popped (so he could wash the container) and he haphazardly threw it all into a trash bag. The reserve had a step through or two and the pilot chute was duct taped in the compressed position with the tape stuck to the material.>:(

At least with the simple instructions the OP got I feel like the buyer will be getting a better cared for shipment than what I got recently.

Good luck with your new reserve and the sale of your old one.

One of the other reasons that I suggest having a rigger at least assist besides the actual disconnection is that people have done screwy things like leaving the toggles on, cutting the lower steering lines because they couldn't get the toggles off, I've even heard of one with parts of the reserve risers still attached.

A rigger is far more likely to not make a mess with the disconnection and packaging, especially if they've got a big ball of a mess before, even if just a professional courtesy. Nobody wants to spend 10 minutes trying to un-screw a reserve that should've just been disassembled and packaged correctly (which takes almost no time at all). It also leaves less chance that someone will cut something, forget to include sliders, links, etc.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

As a number of canopy manufacturers have requirements to return canopy for validation or testing after a certain number of jumps or pack jobs but only one has a panel on the canopy that is marked how is the rigger/owner meant to be compliant with this if you leave the card with the container. I was told packing data card goes with the reserve. Making a copy and leaving it with the container may be useful if there are container SB that have been recorded as well.

skytribe

As a number of canopy manufacturers have requirements to return canopy for validation or testing after a certain number of jumps or pack jobs

As far as I know the number of manufacturers with any such requirement is one. Do you know of more than one? I'm just curious because if there are more than one I can avoid them as well.

Parachute Industry Technical Standard 102
New canopies come with:
Canopy
Suspension lines
Slider
Connector links
Connector link covers (maybe)
Packing data card
Manual

Hand anything less to a prissy, OCD, over-worked rigger and it may take a few weeks to get your new reserve assembled and packed.