hackish

Binding around corners...

Do you pre-glue? I've heard of using a hot glue gun but frankly I don't feel good about that idea. .....

I agree Rob, glue is terrible and should only be used sparingly. Glue will sometimes get into your needle eye and harden. Then you'll be wondering why your thread keeps breaking!

I had a similar experience as you only it was 150 pairs of leg pads, one after the other. By the time you're done, the corners are so sharp you could take out an eye!

If you want to bind well it's practice, practice, practice!

And a small awl helps too :)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Someone just dropped off a wings container for assembly. I had a good look but was unable to find any inside 90 degree corners that were the same piece of tape. Can you think of any specific examples? Photos etc? I think I saw the horn you spoke of at the sides of the reserve flaps but it was just a smooth curve.

-Michael

teason

I had a similar experience as you only it was 150 pairs of leg pads, one after the other. By the time you're done, the corners are so sharp you could take out an eye!

Ok, 149 to go then. Tandems land on their butts and it rips the legpads out. I stubbornly decided to fix it completely rather than sewing a patch on. Note I cheated a bit on the second corner.

One thing I note is that a 112w140 does not get the presser foot up more than 1/4" so it makes this very challenging. I didn't see a way to adjust it either :(

teason

And a small awl helps too :)

So rob says I need a scantily clad assistant and a small awl. I thought the two were mutually exclusive.

-Michael

Thanks. That shot was taken just after binding. I did "bartack" them on my 20U using just a zig-zag. I started questioning myself and did some of the bartacks as a straight stitch forward, back, then zig-zag over. That's a pain on the 20U.

-Michael

hackish

I started questioning myself and did some of the bartacks as a straight stitch forward, back, then zig-zag over. That's a pain on the 20U.
l

For things like that, I started doing the UPT method which is just a zig-zag down, raise the needle and foot and move the work back to the starting point and do another zig-zag down.

It upset me a lot less that way. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Michael,

Are there any good secrets to making nice corners?

A friend told me about this Juki machine. This machine is a 2-needle that allows you to lift one needle at a time.

What you would do is bind with both needles until you come to the very end of the material. You have both needles 'make the stitch' yet leave the needles in the material. Then you lift the left needle & presser foot only. This leaves the right needle still in the material to hold it in place. Then you turn the corner using whatever hand tool you might normally use. Then you drop the left needle & the presser foot and presume binding.

There is one for sale with this said about it:

JUKI Model LH-1162-6-WB $3,000.00 Now Reduced $1,200.00. Refurbished machine, 2 needle, 1/4" gauge, flip up needle left and right for square (right angleturns ) self-oiler, heavy duty, reverse, needle positioner, thread trimmer, foot lift, top electronic control box (Juki MC110 Auto Back Tack,) adjustable stitch length, with table and motor 110V 1-PH, 1 Unit.

I do not know where this is for sale at.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I would love to spend about a half hour with this machine just to see how easy it is to use and how the results turn out.

JerryBaumchen

A friend told me about this Juki machine. This machine is a 2-needle that allows you to lift one needle at a time.

You don't actually lift one of the needle. What you do is disengage one of the needles in upper position which transforms the twin needle into a single needle machine.
Once you learn how to use it, you will never look back. It's kinda like when you zig-zag lines on your 20U and then you buy a bartacker B|

PS) I would love to spend about a half hour with this machine just to see how easy it is to use and how the results turn out.

If you visit us, you can play as much as you want, but from my personal experience, a half hour will not be enough. Then again, I'm not a fast learner :S

Cheers
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Hi Deyan,

Thanks for the clarification; I have never actually seen this machine.

Once you learn how to use it, you will never look back.

When I first starting sewing binding tape on, it was with a single needle machine without any tape folder. I got to where I could do a rather good job of it; and got to where I could turn a good looking corner.

Then I bought a twin needle machine with a binder. Yup, never looked back.

If you visit us, you can play as much as you want

Well, I've still got over 300,000 miles in my frequent flyer account. You just might find me on your doorstep one day.

Jerry Baumchen