Xitesmai

Small Frame - Limited Options - Looking For Advice

So I'm about to come off of student status and as of 6 jumps ago moved off student rigs and onto rental rigs. However my frame is quite small (5'4" - 145lbs) so there is only one rig that fits at the DZ. It's an old Dolphin with a Pulse 190 in it.

My instructor told me not to do any inverted maneuvers, or wild (read: fun) exits (back flips, etc) since the rig is most definitely not free-fly friendly. So I feel like all I can do is track, and turns, ( and RW once I'm licensed, if safe for this container).

I don't have any gear outside of goggles, and my plan was to slowly acquire things in order of $$$. Altimeter, Helmet, Audible, etc.

So I guess my question is this: Is this container OK for RW? I get the feeling from the way the flaps close that it is not safe for learning to sit-fly. I love my DZ so I don't want to change locations. So what is a good strategy for finding the right gear for a small frame?

If in airworthy condition the Dolphin is fine for RW, that's what it was designed for. Including normal pre freeflying skydiving maneuvers like back loops, front loops, barrel rolls, tracking and all sorts of goofy exits.

Being airworthy but not suitable for a back loop are somewhat conflicting opinions.:S

As for finding gear small is 5' 100 lbs. While lot more bigger gear around because many more male skydivers your the size of lots of skydivers. One thing may be to get to know the other women at your DZ. Many used first rigs are handed down from newbie to newbie as the owners downsize but are never advertized.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I never meant to indicate that the Dolphin wasn't air worthy, just that my AFFI said not to do any free fly manuveurs or exits which create excess turbulence across the back of the container. I also took that to mean no loops or rolls, which I'm probably wrong about.

I've been able to land the Pulse 190 consistently in no wind, but I haven't had a downwind landing yet. I'll talk to my AFFI (also a master rigger) about planning a good starting rig for me, then I'll start looking for the pieces.

What are some good places to look for gear other than the classifieds?

Freeflying includes a lot higher speeds, in addition to the unusual attitudes that generate airflow across areas that don't normally see it.

I wouldn't sit or stand or go headdown in a Dolphin. I also wouldn't do any extended backflying.
But normal loops, rolls and the odd biff, bump and tumble that happen in normal RW would probably present no problems.

As far as where to look, there's a few pages on Facebook that have gear for sale. But the best place is at your own DZ.
Put the word out that you are looking for a rig. Ask people to ask around at other DZs too.
There's a lot of gear out there that is handed down from new jumper to new jumper. It's not advertised or aggressively marketed. It's usually sold by "word-of-mouth."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As I said, the jumpers at your local DZ may be the best place. It may not be advertized but there may be gear for sale around the DZ. If not your DZ a nearby DZ. Call those near enough to drive to and ask around. See who your size just bought new gear.;) Hang around and get to know the folks. A few websites list used gear. Square 1, Chuting Star are two, I'll let others add more. All of the used gear I've bought for jumping (versus rigger training) has been local and I'm at a small DZ. That's 6 or seven rigs.

Remember gear made for 5'7 or 5'2 may fit. I'm jumping a rig made for 6'3" and I'm 5'10", but rounder[:/].

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm about the same size. It may be that the most important thing for you is a narrow yoke (basically how the shoulders fit). If there are any people in your general size range with skinny shoulders see if they'll let you try their rig on. And yes, general range means heftier and shorter, or skinnier and taller.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've been able to land the Pulse 190 consistently in no wind, but I haven't had a downwind landing yet. ....

Don't rush into downwind landings.
Downwind landings tear up jumpsuits, leg pads, containers, etc.
I know how to patch jumpsuits, leg pads and containers, but only surgeons are allowed to sew humans back together.

Visit the websites of dealers like: Action Air, AeroStore, Chuting Star, Para-Gear, Square One, Square Two, Square Three, Sunshine Factory, etc. and wander through their lists of second-hand gear.
You will find lots of canopies suitable for smaller women, some containers and a few harnesses.
One option is to buy a medium-sized container and have it re-harnessed to fit you.
Re-harnessing is best done by the factory or your local Master Rigger.

You're also about the same size as my husband, and the same advice applies.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)