fencks

First rig, need some advice

Hi guys,
I really need some help. I've got 36 Jumps so far and I would love to go jumping regularly, however, the main problem is that my local dropzones don't have enough rental rigs and if they do, they are very expensive. I thought about getting my own rig now.

I weigh 182 lbs and I am 6ft tall. So far, I've been jumping on 280, 260 and once on a 230 canopies. I feel pretty comfortable with the 260 canopies, but I don't seem to find any second hand equipment in that size. I don't really want to downsize though, at least not yet.

Does it make sense to get a rig with that canopy size? Does anyone know any good places in Europe where I can look for rigs?

Thanks!

If I were you, I would hesitate again about buying a rig in the very near future.
I weigh 185 or so and 6ft tall.
I began my AFF course jumping a 260, and progressively downsized to 240.
I got my A license with 26 or 27 jumps and tried 220 and 200 student canopies.

I was renting smaller canopies as I was getting jumps under my belt. (tried 210 Sabre2, 190 Sabre2 and Spectre 190) until 80 or 90th jump where I began to think about getting my own rig.

I talked with instructors and with experienced skydivers and the told me to wait until I could safely jump a 170 canopy, so that would put my WL not far from 1.1

If you buy a rig which can fits a 260 canopy, and you start to jump regularly I guess you should quickly become in the need for smaller canopies which would not fit this container. Then, you would have to sell both the rig and the canopy

As in many previous posts and just above: wait until you get to a wing loading of 1.1-1.3 and then:

- you will have much better idea of what you like (type of canopy)
- you will get a canopy that will be fun to jump for 300, 500, 700 jumps...
- you can better match the harness (for comfort) and main to the reserve (yes, first pick the reserve (size))
- you will have a better eye for used gear (if buying used)

Good luck and blue skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

wait until you get to a wing loading of 1.1-1.3 and then:

BAD INTERNET ADVICE. Unless you are willing to recommend someone wait 300 jumps to buy gear.

Stick to a 1:1 wingload for your first canopy. 1.3:1 is an aggressive wingload.
Remster

Remster

wait until you get to a wing loading of 1.1-1.3 and then:

BAD INTERNET ADVICE. Unless you are willing to recommend someone wait 300 jumps to buy gear.

Stick to a 1:1 wingload for your first canopy. 1.3:1 is an aggressive wingload.

I have nothing more to add, but a guy with 200 jumps recommending a canopy he himself should not be on, is worth double contradicting.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

May I suggest that you are too quick to advise young jumpers to downsize?
Ask the young jumper about their long-term goals before giving gear advice.
What if the young jumper wants to compete in precision landing? They might never buy a Para-Foil smaller than 260.
What if they want to BASE jump? Their first BASE canopy will probably be in the 250 to 300 range?
What if they want to fly wingsuits? By the time they have 200 jumps(minimum to start wingsuit-specific training) they will barely have gotten comfortable with all the corners of the envelope of their first canopy (e.g. mastered all of Bill Von's exercises). If they are smart, they will continue to jump that same one-to-one canopy for their first few dozen wingsuit dives.
What if the junior jumper's goal is to jump wing suits from cliffs?
What if their long-term goals include BASE precision landing competitions?
Bottom line some junior jumpers will be happy hanging under a large canopy for hundreds of jumps, but you will only learn that if you ask them a series of detailed questions about their long-term goals.

Riggerrob is correct. I don't want to downsize because there is no reason to. I don't want to swoop. Only possible reason for me to downsize would be to get better wind penetration, so I might go down 1 size in the next couple of years. My canopy, at least for now, is just to get me to the ground safely. Yet people I don't know keep telling me that I need a smaller canopy. They can never seem to articulate why.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

woop. Only possible reason for me to downsize would be to get better wind penetration .......

..............,.........................................:...,.......

Down-sizing is the second best way to penetrate strong winds.
The best way to handle strong winds (avoid getting blown off the DZ) is to learn how to out smart the winds.

JeffCa

Riggerrob is correct. I don't want to downsize because there is no reason to. I don't want to swoop. Only possible reason for me to downsize would be to get better wind penetration, so I might go down 1 size in the next couple of years. My canopy, at least for now, is just to get me to the ground safely. Yet people I don't know keep telling me that I need a smaller canopy. They can never seem to articulate why.

A lot of jumpers will tell you that you may feel that way now but later you will want to downsize for higher performance. Remember though, only you know what you want. I was advised not to buy gear as early as I did because I would want to downsize. I'm 1:1 on a sabre 2 210 out the door in my primary rig. I repeatedly said I didn't want to downsize and I wasn't interested in swooping and was told I would change my mind. 6 years later I still love my Sabre 2 at my current wingloading. I also jump an F-111 180 that was my mothers when she was alive and I can jump it safely and land it softly but my Sabre is my go-to when I'm not trying to make back to back loads. Do what you know is right for you.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Apologies for the bad advice - not intentional - that is why i put the range of 1.1 to 1.3 and that's why we have you.

I agree 1.3 is aggressive in general and especially for some, others do great with it - one should know what is right for them and have his/hers instructors confirm. Nothing wrong with renting for 200 jumps to get your own custom rig for the next 500-700 jumps and enjoy awesome comfort with a canopy you like and can handle.

Of course, in the mean time one can get a new/used rig at 1:1 - its personal choice and I shared my opinion and experience or renting various canopies to figure out what i like and need, then get it custom.

Thanks for pointing out my opinion is too aggressive in its upper band and hopefully preventing some bad choices, although this is internet forum and nobody should base their purchasing decisions nor wingloading on advice from here. That is why we have experienced instructors at our DZs who know us personally.

As Joellercoaster pointed out that I should have not been on a 1.25 loading at 200 jumps - downsized only after being comfortable with each step, taking canopy courses, doing hop'n'pops for drills including landing downwind. Never had a awful landing nor was scared of the canopy - find it quite relaxing under a 150 with still some speed when desired. May be I am just lucky so far and hope it stays that way.

riggerrob - agree with you, that is why i suggested for fencks to wait until he figures out what he wants to do and downsizes to something he would want to keep for some time.

blue skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side