theQ

Reserve Slinks on Mains

theQ

I admit this is a wild thought but considering that FAA approved the beefier reserve slinks on reserves why not use them on mains. they should be stronger and safer don't they ?

Can any master rigger weight in ?

a) why are you only soliciting opinions from Master Riggers ?
b)
....i) what's the breaking strength of the main slink ?
....ii) what's the breaking strength of the reserve
....iii) can a human body survive opening forces needed to break a main slink ? If not, then what's the point of having even beefier reserve slink ?

think of this as putting 100mph+ rated tires on a car that never goes over 60. Doable, but achieves zero benefit, and costs moer money. Pointless.

My point was really simple, if FAA suggested/approved them on reserves they must have had a reason for it, that's the part I don't get. Your comparison with tires I get, what I don't get is FAA point! Do they know more that we do, that's my hidden question.

theQ

My point was really simple, if FAA suggested/approved them on reserves they must have had a reason for it, that's the part I don't get. Your comparison with tires I get, what I don't get is FAA point! Do they know more that we do, that's my hidden question.

I promise you are hilariously over thinking things.

Hi theQ,

FAA suggested/approved them on reserves they must have had a reason for it

Let me try to inform you of a couple of things. Please consider this as a positive reply to your concerns.

The FAA does not 'suggest' or 'approve' anything that holds TSO certification. They are merely a processing agency as regards the necessary paperwork during the certification process.

During the entire TSO certification process, the FAA only approves the Quality Program of the applicant. However, from my personal experience in going through the process, they do review everything that you are req'd to submit; which can be extensive.

The mfr is the entity that has, obviously, an interest in obtaining the certification that is necessary during the TSO certification process.

The very concept ( IMO ) of 'suggest' or 'approve' has nothing to do with what you are concerned with.

Can you use certificated reserve Slinks on a main canopy? Of course, you can. There are no regulations preventing you from doing so.

As others here have mentioned, it is a little bit of 'overkill,' but do as you wish.

I hope that this clarifies this somewhat for you.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And I do not consider your question as ridiculous. In fact, it has brought some very interesting comments; which is always a good thing.

theQ

You are a bit confused about FAA's role in all this.

FAA merely certified that the manufacturer passed TSO 23d approval for those slinks. And since the reserves are a certificated piece of gear, they would have to be attached using a type of link that they were certificated with (in case of PD reserves I believe it's Mallion #4, #5 or #6 and the more recently certified SR-1 Slinks).

FAA made no recommendations in this case and they really don't care how you hook up your reserve, as long as you do so "in accordance with manufacturer instructions".

If PD wanted to bare the cost of TSO 23d cert for the main Slinks, they could, but I am guessing it makes no sense from fiscal and marketing perspective.

To keep it short and sweet, nobody will fault you for paying $5 more and sporting the beefy and uber-cool yellow tabbed Reserve Slinks on your main. If that makes you feel safer - go for it, there's no detriment.