emil

Atom - reserve PC did not launch

I think the manufacturer used defective material (over coated) in lining this container. Probably in violation of the TSO quality control procedures. And that in the situation of an AAD fire at terminal velocity at 750' above the ground the resulting hesitation would be lethal.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

ronny2

Some years ago they have the same problem with the pilot-chute there was a safety bulletin about it (I can not find it right now) and change the pilot-chute.
Wash the free-bag will be a better solution for this problem.

There is an S/B regarding freebags with a coating on the inside causing the canopy to adhere. It is a completely different problem than this. Washing the container may help, but I see this as a defect.

A major North American H/C maker had a similar problem with a batch of red cordura doing the same thing. They recalled the affected containers and replaced the bad parts.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yes, Sunpath Javelin had the problem with red cordura.

And Atom had a problem with too-large-of-diamater reserve PC caps, where they replaced them with smaller ones. They also had the "sticky problem".

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3844811#3844811

and

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3351682;search_string=quick;#3351682

emil

http://youtu.be/zchQO5H-zEw

What do You think?

I am thinking my:
"my Skyhook and the spinning Pilot 168 are gonna pull that thing out in no time"

Yes i am am aware that my pilot may have never left the container on some emergency situations and i know it would be faster if it would not stick to anything. I am just saying...
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

FrancoR

***http://youtu.be/zchQO5H-zEw

What do You think?

I am thinking my:
"my Skyhook and the spinning Pilot 168 are gonna pull that thing out in no time"

Yes i am am aware that my pilot may have never left the container on some emergency situations and i know it would be faster if it would not stick to anything. I am just saying...

Skyhook disconnects in approx 15% mals (mals where it should NOT disconnect), so I would not count on this...

If you watch the video, on a decent sized screen, not a smart phone, you will clearly see that the coating on the inside of the container is the problem in this case.

gowlerk

If you watch the video, on a decent sized screen, not a smart phone, you will clearly see that the coating on the inside of the container is the problem in this case.

Without a doubt! RPC material is stuck to it like fly paper! Bad ju-ju!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've witnessed a skyhook on a tandem not activate & I've opened rigs where the skyhook isn't attached/routed properly. Gotta remember you are adding additional equipment + functions to the reserve system. I'm a big advocate of Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). In this video it doesn't matter what additional features you add... that thing is 100% not safe!
Woot Woot!

unkulunkulu

I don't question the statement itself. On the contrary, I want a credible source for this statistic (around 15%) to use in conversations. People should know that using reserve-activation-accelerators so to speak shouldn't lead to getting relaxed about executing proper EPs.

I don't know where that statistic comes from but it is about the same as what a dz I jump at experiences.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***I don't question the statement itself. On the contrary, I want a credible source for this statistic (around 15%) to use in conversations. People should know that using reserve-activation-accelerators so to speak shouldn't lead to getting relaxed about executing proper EPs.

I don't know where that statistic comes from but it is about the same as what a dz I jump at experiences.
....................................................................................

Bill Booth talked about it in an earlier thread .... Something about Skyhook is designed to release deliberately when you are waaaaay over-speed.
Remember that snatch force (of pilot-chute lifting d-bag out of container) increases with the SQUARE of the velocity.
Worst case scenario: you are jumping a tandem with a 500 pound bundle (typical mission for a military TI) when your stogie fails the inflate. It barely drags out your main d-bag, but does not have enough drag to pull out the main suspension lines, so you quickly accelerate to tandem terminal (200 miles per hour). Do you really want the fastest possible reserve deployment?

I'm not buying that shit. More Booth BS. The simple truth is that it's hard to build a MARD. The timing on the system is critical in terms of whether it releases or not and which deployment system activates the reserve. With out getting into the plusses or minuses of the different designs, the simple truth is that the skyhook simply isn't very secure. It suffers from uncommand releases even on cutaways. It is NOT a design feature it is a DEFECT and this is just his spin.

As to your very unlikely scenario, considering the he uses ordinary rubber bands on his bag and that his drogue is actually designed to deploy the main from a collapsed configuration. Let's go out on a limb and say that it half hitches into a knot and does not inflate at all. And seeing this you make the dubious decision to release your drogue which requires a manual action on your part. It extracts the bag as you say, but do you really think that it can not unstow the tandom rubber bands on the bag. The bag has so much momentum that it's weight alone would unstow the locking bands on the bag. And at those speeds just the drag of the bag it self sould be enough to deploy it. And if the mall has so little drag then it's Cd is even lower then the collapsed drogue that is the normal deployment system. It's not a huge snatch force deploying the reserve. And would you really rather the reserve PC disconnected it self and deployed past the spinning bag lock? wouldn't it be better if the MARD actually functioned properly and was deployed by the main as it got out of the way?

Have you been drinking Booths cool aide?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com