Niklasp

Small reserve - large main

Thanks for the answers.

Wrote to Mirage regarding The Mirage W Series, but they did not reply. Since I couldent find any additional info on their website I figured it was still a proto and not able to order one?

Im interested in a configuration like this because I simply would like to have the possibility to use a variety of mains on the same container.

Ultimate dream would be from something real small sub 90 all sail -ish to 190sqf calculated to be able to fit a 260 ish light weight base canopy.

Although I retired basejumping after 10years I still would like to have a canopy like this in the arsenal for goofing around, demos and such.

To accommodate the real small canopies perhaps some “spacer/filler – thingy” could be installed. If this makes any sense..

What do you think?

irishrigger

the most important question is why would you want a combo like that? :S:S:S

I can't answer for the OP, but if I start jumping accuracy, that's exactly the combo I'm gonna get. 100-ish reserve and 250-260 main. Packing volume and comfort. That's it :)
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Niklasp

Im interested in a configuration like this because I simply would like to have the possibility to use a variety of mains on the same container.

One odd possibility:

I've seen a velcro on main container that will fit overtop of the existing main container. The rig's original main top flap is used, and the others are tucked away under the strapped on new container that has 3 flaps.. (Would be harder to fold away the original flaps if using a small, stiff container unless it had dynamic corners.)

Saw some jumpers in the Aussie style and accuracy team do that at the worlds in '03. They could travel with a small rig, jump style with a small rig, then strap on a container to fit a big accuracy canopy.

I built a strap-on main container like that myself. A bit fiddly to get right but it works.

As for accommodating a big size range, one could do some sort of removable pillow system. I've done that for a container of mine, putting the pillow up against the reserve tray (reducing the size of the main tray in the head to foot direction). Pillows have also been built to fill the main tray in the area against the backpad. Older rigs are easier to work with, the fancier backpads now common -- which one either has to sew through (messy looking) or unstitch and peel back before sewing through the rest of the backpad. Where the pillow goes depends on whether the space remaining will still fit a reasonable d-bag.