jpell

Liquid Eyewear with an open face?

I am debating whether or not to try out a pair of liquid eyewear with an open face. I have both a full-face and an open-face; I prefer to jump with the open-face.

Does anyone have any experience jumping liquid eyewear sunglasses with an open-face? My first thought is that they would fall off using them without a sun-glass strap of some sort.

DERPY

I jump with just my liquid eyewear and I don't even use the little strap to hold them on.

Is there much "free" movement of the eyewear while skydiving or even when walking around (boarding the plane, etc). Do you just bend in the end pieces to make them a tighter fit? And if you have tried the foam inserts does it make a big difference?

Jump with my Liquid Players - Open Face with insert. Have the straps but don't really need them for free fall---good to have for when you strip your helmet off to save an accidental drop.

Love em --- I strongly suspect that inserts are not required. I do think inserts help with fog/condensation and certainly help to keep sweat from packing off the lenses.

Love my Liquids!

I have Liquid Titans I wear with my open face helmet. I do not have the foam inserts. As long as you make sure they are a tight fit in accordance with the instructions that came with the glasses (you bend the earpieces closer together every 10 jumps or so to maintain tight fit), I have not had any problems -- they don't move and I don't get wind in my eyes in freefall or droguefall.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I don't use the foam inserts. You can adjust the frame so well you don't need them.
I do use the strap on an open face helmet. My Liquid Players have a prescription lens in them, so I'd hate to lose $300 because they fell off at 3K.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

The straps hang on to the frame really well - I don't think they are absolutely necessary though and I have jumped without the strap. I don't think you need 'their' strap --- I've seen other people use other types.

I wear them on the ride up - I expected them to fog, but they haven't so far. I used to use Wiley-X and they occasionally fogged but pulling them away from my face usually cleared that up.

I have been jumping Liquids with my frappe hat no inserts and no strap no problem

I tried them with my factory diver with no face shield and they were moving around a bit from the wind

ETA: I think I get a different wind flow over bottom of the factory diver that is pushing up on the glasses
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

EatSleepFly

Do any of you that are jumping them wear contacts? I'm thinking about trying them out, but I wear contacts (at least until I can afford lasik) and I've heard/read mixed reviews from contact wearers.

I had Liquid Players until recently, including the goggle gasket insert they sell. It didn't work for me with contacts (possibly due to my weird head shape) and I ended up going to a full face after losing a contact twice in freefall.

When I bought new glasses I bought Gatorz as they fit into the helmet better, but the Liquids were nice.