valiant-51

BULT Digital Video Helmets

I wanted to see if there are any riggers, camera flyers, and/or experienced jumpers that would like to discuss this interesting piece of equipment. I would like your help understanding the benefits and drawbacks of jumping one of these helmets for the purpose of recording my "point of view" of a skydive.

The helmet has a camera housing group that is built into the helmet, and thus should decrease the probability of snagging your risers, lines, etc. The quality of the image is not great but I think that it beats not having any video capabilities to record the wonderful experience of skydiving.

I like this product because it is considerably more affordable than buying a "GoPro" and because I would like to improve my flying skills before I add any weight and/or potential snag-hazard to my helmet. I think that there are a few things that I have to disclaim before we initiate the conversation to avoid any confusions.

1. I am an A-licensed jumper with the USPA.
2. I am not intending to become a professional camera flyer (i.e. not doing any camera work for hire).
3. I am not intending to become a team's camera flyer.
4. Bottom-Line: This would be just for fun!

The 2014-2015 Skydiver's Information Manual says that "All camera platforms, whether custom or off the shelf, should be evaluated for safety and suitability to the camera flyer's purpose.
(1) by a rigger
(2) by an experienced camera flyer"

Riggers and experienced camera flyers, can we talk about these helmets?

This is the link to the company's website.

http://bulthelmets.com/

Cheers!

It's an interesting helmet. Wonder how the video is? All behavioral issues aside, I'd be interested in a helmet of this type that could record high quality video instead of "spycam" quality. This looks like something I'd see at walmart, marketed at 8-14year olds. That being said, I could see a potential market for experienced fliers already safely and legally flying cameras.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

diablopilot

because I would like to improve my flying skills before I add any weight and/or potential snag-hazard to my helmet

Then do that. Without a camera.

This is the textbook "excuse" people give themselves to use a POV camera... And there is absolutely no value in that. None.
Remster

Remster

This is the textbook "excuse" people give themselves to use a POV camera... And there is absolutely no value in that. None.

Hi Remster!

1. What do you mean by excuse to use POV cameras?

2. Would you like a helmet like this one for your own flying?

3. Do you think that this concept could help decrease camera-related accidents and/or injuries?

Cheers

1- When a new jumper is told to wait before jumping a camera, they almost always say it will be to improve their flying. A POV will give you ZERO data for that.

2- No. I dont want my helmet and my camera to the one unit. Cameras change, and so do helmets.

3- It may decrease the number of snags, but it will increase the number of distraction issues.
Remster

Alexg3265

It's an interesting helmet. Wonder how the video is? All behavioral issues aside, I'd be interested in a helmet of this type that could record high quality video instead of "spycam" quality. This looks like something I'd see at walmart, marketed at 8-14year olds. That being said, I could see a potential market for experienced fliers already safely and legally flying cameras.

Hi Alexg3265!

Thanks for the reply! I agree that the helmet looks like something that is marketed for other athletes, and probably a lot younger than your average skydiver. I actually saw this for the first time at REI this weekend. Their website promotes the helmets for BMX riders, skateboarders, and snowboarders. However, I was excited about this because I know that some of the new technologies and equipment that we use now in skydiving have actually migrated from other sports and/or aviation practices.

I am interested in the whole behavioral point that DoughH brought. I looked for more information into this and found a few discussions addressing scenarios with some similarities (i.e. Tandem jumper that wanted to bring his helmet mounted camera, ect..) but definitely not 1000 threads. Maybe this could be 1001 thread, since we have new information to analyze and talk about.

I am curious about something that you mentioned. Is there an illegal way to fly a camera?

Remster

1- When a new jumper is told to wait before jumping a camera, they almost always say it will be to improve their flying. A POV will give you ZERO data for that.

2- No. I dont want my helmet and my camera to the one unit. Cameras change, and so do helmets.

3- It may decrease the number of snags, but it will increase the number of distraction issues.

Cool Remster!

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I think that number 2 is a solid point. How often do you find yourself changing your camera? (i.e. what is the shelf-life of a camera that you get for recording fun jumps?

I would like to clarify that I was not saying/suggesting that recording POV video would improve my flying. What I meant to say is that before I get a "GoPro," I would like to improve my flying skills because of the added weight and/or potential snag-hazard on my helmet. My mistake - I am typing through a language barrier here.

Actually, the only reason why I would be interested in something like this helmet is because I thought that it would be fun to record the "wealth of visual stimulation that can be readily captured through still and video photography" (borrowing this description from the USPA). Hence, "4. Bottom-Line: This would be just for fun!"

Cheers man!

monkycndo

This helmet has no value in skydiving. You can't point it at yourself with a unicorn horn type mount so you can record yourself.

"Look at Meeeeeeeeeeee":S

At least I like Trunk's name for his mount... :ph34r:http://www.gethypoxic.com/browse/gopro-stuff.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=151&category_id=17
Remster

Illegal depends on the dz. at some dz's, if you have less than 200 jumps and can't fly head up and head down, you can't bring a camera, period. Others, I see students wearing them. Uspa recommends 200 jumps.

Let me clarify something. You will not improve your flying by wearing a camera. Having Someone flying with you that can proficiently fly a camera will make you a better flyer. You need an outside view to be able to review and adjust your own flying. If you're serious, offer to pay for someone's slot if they'll video you. Better yet have you and 3 people each split the cost and "hire" someone for a few jumps. OUTSIDE VIDEO can be an invaluable learning tool.
How many people have ever seen someone wearing a go pro in the wind tunnel? I haven't ever. They have outside video so you can see you and the whole tunnel. You can't see and evaluate your own position from on top of your head.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

First you should read the 'Small Camera "Incident" List' in the camera and video forum. Then you might be able to appreciate why the rest of us beat everyone down for wanting to jump with a POV camera.

There is NO value, absolutely NONE, to your learning anything with any kind of camera on your head.

That being said, I've been looking at this camera for a while to use for CRW. I'm certain it will be useless (read "shake") for freefall. I was hoping to see the X5 version with higher resolution.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

iowa

First you should read the 'Small Camera "Incident" List' in the camera and video forum. Then you might be able to appreciate why the rest of us beat everyone down for wanting to jump with a POV camera.

There is NO value, absolutely NONE, to your learning anything with any kind of camera on your head.

That being said, I've been looking at this camera for a while to use for CRW. I'm certain it will be useless (read "shake") for freefall. I was hoping to see the X5 version with higher resolution.

Hi Keith!

Thanks for the advice! Seriously. And thanks to all of those that also offered their advice on the value cameras on learning/training. I thought that it would be clear from my original post that I did not indented to use this, or any other camera, to improve my flying skills. What I actually said was that:

"4. Bottom-Line: This would be just for fun!"

I actually placed this post in the gear forum because I wanted for you guys to help me understand "the benefits and drawbacks of jumping one of these helmets for the purpose of recording my "point of view" of a skydive." I thought that the idea of a built-in camera was cool and figured that since there was no post about this helmet in the gear forum, that it would be nice to start talking about it.

Maybe I said too much, and should have just dropped the name of the helmet and the pictures. I feel that many fellow-jumpers just focused on my interest on improving my flying skills before getting a "GoPro" and completely ignored the piece of gear that is up for discussion in the "Gear and Rigging" forum. Maybe, they all work for "GoPro."

Cheers brother and Blue Skies!

You do know that there is an entire forum devoted to Cameras (both still & video), right?

Personally, I've never really considered cameras to be "gear." They're more of an add on, and a distracting one at that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

How the fuck is this guy gonna record all the epic shit, if he doesn't have a camera attached to his head?

He has less than 200 jumps. Meaning all the epic shit(carnage) are going to happen within that jump number.

You don't see BASE dudes requiring to have 200 BASE before they attach gopro to their head. Why? Because BASE jumpers are awesome, and skydivers are bunch of pussys.

Oh, you can't do head down yet.
Oh, you can't sit fly with that rig.
Oh, you shouldn't downsize so quick.
Oh, don't wear that gopro before you have 200 jumps.
Oh, don't do Mr.Bill.

Go ahead, buy the damn thing, and wear it, EVERYWHERE.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

wolfriverjoe

You do know that there is an entire forum devoted to Cameras (both still & video), right?

Personally, I've never really considered cameras to be "gear." They're more of an add on, and a distracting one at that.

Hi wolfriverjoe!

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I do know that there is a "Photography and Video." Thanks for the suggestion. The 2014-2015 Skydiver's Information Manual says that "All camera platforms, whether custom or off the shelf, should be evaluated for safety and suitability to the camera flyer's purpose.
(1) by a rigger

In accordance with this, I decided to post it here so that our friends, the riggers, could have a discussion about it. This is supposed to be the forum where "you can discuss any gear related questions and issues. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using and how."

Please, tell us what you think about the helmet.

1. If the helmet is also the camera, would you still consider it "an add on?"
2. Would you like a helmet with a camera built in it?

Cheers!

valiant-51

Hi wolfriverjoe!

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I do know that there is a "Photography and Video." Thanks for the suggestion. The 2014-2015 Skydiver's Information Manual says that "All camera platforms, whether custom or off the shelf, should be evaluated for safety and suitability to the camera flyer's purpose.
(1) by a rigger

In accordance with this, I decided to post it here so that our friends, the riggers, could have a discussion about it. This is supposed to be the forum where "you can discuss any gear related questions and issues. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using and how."

Please, tell us what you think about the helmet.

1. If the helmet is also the camera, would you still consider it "an add on?"
2. Would you like a helmet with a camera built in it?

Cheers!

I find it rather amusing that you quote the SIM on the part about checking with an experienced camera flyer or rigger, yet completely ignore the "C licence as minimum experience" part.

The experienced camera guys are the ones who would have the most useful opinions on this. See what they say.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Built into the helmet, or separate and mounted on the outside, it's still adding a camera to the jump. Desirable under certain circumstances, but it doesn't give you anything during the actual jump. It's only useful for reviewing the jump after you are back on the ground.

2. No. I'd put a GoPro on my head before getting a combo camera/helmet. The image quality looks pretty poor. The newer GoPros have excellent image quality. Unless the fit is good, you are going to get shake. My regular helmet fits well enough that the camera wouldn't shake. Real camera pros often have helmets custom made to fit their head exactly.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

On 8/12/2014 at 11:41 PM, valiant-51 said:

I wanted to see if there are any riggers, camera flyers, and/or experienced jumpers that would like to discuss this interesting piece of equipment. I would like your help understanding the benefits and drawbacks of jumping one of these helmets for the purpose of recording my "point of view" of a skydive.

The helmet has a camera housing group that is built into the helmet, and thus should decrease the probability of snagging your risers, lines, etc. The quality of the image is not great but I think that it beats not having any video capabilities to record the wonderful experience of skydiving.

I like this product because it is considerably more affordable than buying a "GoPro" and because I would like to improve my flying skills before I add any weight and/or potential snag-hazard to my helmet. I think that there are a few things that I have to disclaim before we initiate the conversation to avoid any confusions.

1. I am an A-licensed jumper with the USPA.
2. I am not intending to become a professional camera flyer (i.e. not doing any camera work for hire).
3. I am not intending to become a team's camera flyer.
4. Bottom-Line: This would be just for fun!

The 2014-2015 Skydiver's Information Manual says that "All camera platforms, whether custom or off the shelf, should be evaluated for safety and suitability to the camera flyer's purpose.
(1) by a rigger

Riggers and experienced camera flyers, can we talk about these helmets?

This is the link to the company's website.

http://bulthelmets.com/

Cheers!

it's important to consult with riggers and experienced camera flyers who can offer specialized knowledge and insights specific to skydiving. Their expertise and firsthand experience will be invaluable in understanding the benefits and drawbacks of using specific helmet camera setups for skydiving purposes. It's great that you are considering safety and seeking evaluations from experts in the field. The recommendation in the Skydiver's Information Manual to have the camera platform evaluated by a rigger and an experienced camera flyer is essential for ensuring the equipment's safety and suitability for your intended purpose. Riggers can assess the design and construction of the helmet and camera housing to determine if it meets safety standards and minimizes potential snag hazards. They can provide guidance on proper installation and ensure that it doesn't compromise the helmet's structural integrity. Experienced camera flyers can offer insights into the functionality, ergonomics, and potential limitations of different helmet camera setups. They can share their experiences with specific models, discuss the image quality, ease of use, and any potential issues they have encountered while skydiving with similar equipment. Engaging in conversations with riggers and experienced camera flyers, either in person or through skydiving forums or communities, will help you gather valuable firsthand experiences and advice. They can help you make an informed decision about the helmet camera setup that best suits your needs and maintains safety as a top priority. Remember to adhere to the guidelines provided by the manufacturer, seek professional evaluations, and always prioritize safety when considering any modifications to your skydiving gear.