phatcat

Knock knock, Who is it?? The POLICE!!!

I agree with the fact that being a cop doesn't make you a dick. But it sticks in peoples minds more when cops are shitty to you, because they're supposed to be these "do gooders" and crap, but they're just people doing a job that sometimes blows.
That being said, I'm curious about something:
When you get stopped at a speed trap (speed trap being the key here as opposed to a cop just seeing you do some shit wrong) where there's a cop in the middle of the street, just over a hill, motioning for you to pull over next to the other ten cars that got pulled over, it's fairly obvious you're getting a ticket. I mean they're not going to pull all these people over just to say "Thought I would let all you guys know you were speeding, and I would appreciate it if you would slow her down a smidge." So, my question is, in this instance, why does he ask me if I'm in a hurry? I mean, hell, are you gonna let me go if I say yeah, I've gotta take a wicked shit? You know, we as speeders shouldn't bullshit the cops around, because they've heared it all before, and we did after all speed, but do we really have to be patronized like that?
And by the by, I understand that maybe he is asking if I have an emergency, but I think I would be going a little faster than 58 in a 45 if I was having an emergency.

Josh,,No, I didnt think your question was negative. Ive been in the game for 13 years. Think long and hard about the career, its like skydiving, it isnt for everyone. The pay isnt that bad depending on where you go but youre not gonna get rich. The action is good, but the politics suck. And most of all, like we're discussing here, youre in a high profile position. Also, youre gonna get exposed to stuff you might rather have not been exposed to. Those 3 examples I used in the first post were things that happened to me somewhere along the way.
"...but they're just people doing a job that sometimes blows."
Man, that hit the nail on the head!
"So, my question is, in this instance, why does he ask me if I'm in a hurry?"
Its kinda a conversation starting sorts thing. Lets see if we get something we HAVNT heard before. When I worked patrol, Ive actually let people go if they gave me something original or made me laugh. I never wrote that many tickets anyway. I GOT too many as a kid to wanna GIVE too many.
I really like the fact that, for the most part, my skydiving family treats me like a skydiver first and a cop second. They bust my balls every once in a while but its in a joking sense which is cool.
Blues
CJ

I really like the fact that, for the most part, my skydiving family treats me like a skydiver first and a cop second. They bust my balls every once in a while but its in a joking sense which is cool.

That’s good to hear, and that’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Josh
"Well I may be crazy, but YOU'RE boring!"

What do I think of police?
It really depends upon how competent they are.
What do I think of German police?
The German cop who gave me a ticket for an illegal turn was polite and professional. He even explained in his halting English why he was giving me the ticket.
I respect German police.
What do I think of Quebec police?
That is a totally different story!
When I was a teenager, several of Quebec police officers pulled a bunch of cars over in front of my grandmother's house. After half an hour it became clear that my mother tongue was totally useless in communicating with police officers in my home town!
That has to be the heighth of incompetence!
Did I mention that my grandmother's house was originally built by the Molson family of Molson beer fame?
I solved that problem by fleeing that racist province and learning a couple more languages.

Is it just me or is stories like that that help me remember why I generally can't stand cops! My recollection of most cops is that they were the dudes who were the "towel boys" or "bench warmers" in high school athletics who now get off on wearing a "piece" and being the "above the law" tough guys. Yeah--we need cops--it's just the dudes who fill the job slot don't generally impress me much.
"That which does not kill me makes me stronger."--Nietzsche

Well Algboy, by all means, come on out. Do a better job.
Why is it that everybody out there sees fit to tell us how to do our job better or usually just how much we suck at doing the job, but not a ONE of you trash talking A-holes would dare to come out and actually DO the job yourselves.
You wouldnt tell the dentist how to fill your tooth or the plumber how to fix the toilet. Dont tell ME how to do my job either.
Most of you base your cop-hating opinions on that police encounter where you were in the wrong anyway (ie. but i was only going 80 in a school zone. I dont know WHY that asshole had to give me a ticket). Or you base it on 'seeing' a police encounter where you really dont have the foggiest idea what was REALLY going on (ie. ya, I was driving by and those cops were harassing those poor teenagers for NO reason). Or that "it happened to my friend" story you were told once (ie. ya, dude, they just stopped him for NO reason and searched his car).
To paraphrase Jack (Nickelson that is):
I'd prefer you just said thank you and be on your way.
CJ