ozzy13

Whats the deal?

With all these deaths that have thousands of jumps. I don't get it .

Read the stickies at the top of the forum...

This one is titled Why Your Post Got Deleted

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1622309#1622309
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks .The Question is still there .

And it's a question best asked in Safety and Training.

Isn't this forum for reporting and discussing accidents in details?

Damn slotperfect, you beat me to it. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Having thousands of jumps does not make one immune from dying. People are human and can make mistakes. Shit happens.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Having thousands of jumps does not make one immune from dying. People are human and can make mistakes. Shit happens.

So does stupidity - don't blame "shit".

Just because you get away with a 270 in the pattern 99 times, doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The ground don't care weither you have 1 or 100000 jumps. Its just as hard and just as deadly to everyone.

When you don't know anything your lack of knowledge can kill you. When you have lots of experience that same experience can give you new chances to kill yourself.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I know the ground dont care LOL ..I just dont understand all these canopy collision this year . In the past couple of months there has bin a lot . I guess it mite be because i am new and my eyes are starting to open to this sport more then the first couple of months
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Always remember, You are not now, nor will you ever be good enough not to die in this sport. Skydiving owes you nothing, what are you prepared to give for the privilege of being part of it?

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

maybe it is just possible that some canopy pilots have 100 tons of experience but they needed 100.1 tons of experience to be successful in the specific manuever that killed them

the unfortunate fact is that others are forced into being unwilling participants in these manuevers

sometimes you think you are better than you really are
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

sometimes you think you are better than you really are

You are so right. leave your ego's at home people. We all have something to learn, weather its from that first time jumper, or that guy thats been jumping since before there was nylon! ;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

In aviation-relation endeavors we tend confuse luck with ability.

The requisite level of ego necessary to participate in this sport makes it easy for us to get complacent when our actions have yet to bite us.

Most of us benefit from the "big sky" theory, where, even if we can't see the area where someone likely to collide with us might be, there is no one there anyway.

If you figure out a collision scenario in four dimensions, it becomes apparent that, during radical maneuvers it is not possible to see the jumper you are going to hit. Also, when setting up for said radical maneuver, the canopy into which you are destined to fly may not appear to be a likely threat.

If you put together a jumper on a tiny canopy doing, say, a 270 and a jumper on a tiny canopy doing a straight-in, they can be far enough apart during the setup that the higher jumper may have a poor chance of spotting the lower jumper in the first place.

When flying airplanes, it can be surprising how hard it is to spot other traffic when everyone is flying straight and level at the same altitude. It can take some time to pick out traffic identified by Flight Control, even when you know where to look.

I have been very lucky (so far). I have had a knife-edge head-on near-miss with a Cessna 310/320, I have bounced off the lines of another canopy and had mine reinflate when clear, I have had people throw pilot chutes in my face and so forth. I am still arrogant, but I try to temper that with knowledge that I am here today only because the dice have come up in my favor at a few key junctures.

Regardless of who we are and how much experience we might have, life is still a crapshoot and it behooves us to load the dice in our favor.

Let's be careful out there.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I know the ground dont care LOL ..I just dont understand all these canopy collision this year . In the past couple of months there has bin a lot . I guess it mite be because i am new and my eyes are starting to open to this sport more then the first couple of months

Canopy related deaths have been on the rise for years. Collision related deaths were there as well. None of this is new. Sometimes you will get a rash of deaths, esp at the start of a season when people are rusty....some years you get lucky.

None of that changes the problem that has been growing since HP canopies became the norm and safety complacency has been allowed to breed from the top down. New BSRs won't change a thing if the canopy pilot isn't going to listen and think "but I always do this....I know what I am doing..." etc. Lack of training killed alot of lower jump number pilots over the last few years. What's happening now is that luck is running out for those that had the skill to avoid past incidents.

The first jump you get complacent on WILL kill you. Your skill, jump numbers, infamy or sponsorships will not protect you. Your training, EPs and constant due diligence to safety will always give you a better chance of living for another jump.

The question you should be asking is: "What am I going to do to make sure I am not next to die in this sport?" Followed closely by: "What can I learn from past mistakes?" And never, ever claim "That couldn't happen to me."