Kelly

merrick, skybitch etc... how'da ya handle it?

hey all.
after 8 days of not jumping i finally woke up today feeling great. i was at the dz by 7am... got on the second load. nice sitfly jump (solo). came in for landing and got blown a bit left from crosswinds. i flared completely but dug in my left toggle. last thing i saw was my legs going up by my side. I hit really hard. from what other jumpers say I hit horizonal. they thought i was broken real bad.
turns out that i have a serious sprain to my right foot, right ankle, and left shoulder/arm. I've got a huge scrape from my elbow halfway up my arm towards my hand. It seems that i bounced on my left and my right ankle sort of slammed into the ground.. then i bounced onto my belly and slid a bit.
all in all Ive got to see an orthapedic surgen on wed. for a followup.. the hospital i went to is known for fuckups so i wouldnt be surprised if i actually did break a few foot bones. It looks like ill be out for at least 4 weeks. Im in a wet cast (it contours to your body and hardens). the nurse who put it on fucked it up and theres a tiny space in the right side of it and my ankle keeps slipping into that hole.. so i go from feeling no pain to being in excruciating pain.
ah well. lessons learned. damn it!
kel
"i can not attest to what i did, just what i remember...."
~me, after one too many

Ouch Kelly! It hurts to read this.
First things first, take all the pain pills you need to numb the pain. If it looks like you are running out of pills call your mother, father, grandma & grandpa and ask them to pull all that darvocet out of the back of their medicine closet.
Call the surgeon Monday morning and ask that they call you if anyone cancels. If you can't make the earlier appointment, no big deal, but if you can find out how bad it really is a day earlier that is good for your peace of mind.
Things often look better when the swelling goes down, so you may get a much better prognosis from the surgeon.
Good Luck!
Milo

thanks milo..
a note to women.. DONT SHAVE YOUR LEGS!!! i am so lazy about that . i just do touchups. well, i shaved yesterday and now the hair is growing in.. GEEZEEE my leg itches!!! and i cant scratch it!!!
damnit!!!!!
im anxious to see what the dr says.. i was give muscle relaxers at the dz and while that made the shoulder/arm pain go away the foot was still a very horrible pain.. so that isnt muscle damage.. thats what makes me think its the bone..
aw. this sucks. my container should be here this week coming up.. i had plans to start my trip the first week of november, ill have to move that back a few weeks... i cant jump on my two year skydiving anniversery.. and for those 'old timers' you know why this anniversery is so important to me. :( --- that makes me sad :(
~me, after one too many

Hey kel...
What a bummer to hear that ! I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse than you are...sounds like a pretty hard lick you took.
And I do recall the story you posted sooooo long ago, and I remember how much he meant to you....I had a very close friend I felt the same way about. I try to say a little prayer in his memory every time I go up....he would have enjoyed this sport so much...
Heal up soon....and let me know when you get to NC during the "2001 Frog-Fling World Tour"...
Don

kingi,
thanks for the laugh. "2001 Frog fling world tour"....

ive been reading that skydivers mental book. the one about using positive thoughts and visualization to improve your skydives... i havent seemed to have the time to read it and have it kick in... i will have that book memorized by the time im off Gimp status.
you guys know what this means..... more emails! more web searching! more dz.com!
please tolorate my newfound 'posting slut' status that im going to achieve :)
~kel
~me, after one too many

hope u get better soon hope the aniversery goes good that is something that is dif between now and the old dz.com we knew more about the actual ppl :-)
please tolorate my newfound 'posting slut' status that im going to achieve
good luck getting anywhere near skreamer's effort when the new site came on
i live my life 14000 ft at a time, nothen else matters, in that 60 seconds or less im free

Ouch! That really sucks, Kel. I hope you heal up soon. I had a really bad landing once. I had a muscle spasm in my left arm as I was coming in to land. It surprised me and I just sort of froze. I landed in a considerable turn. The pain was intense, but I was fortunate not to break anything.
Heal up little frog, and use this opportunity to do something else with the time you'll now have.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Empathy,leetle frog- sorry you're hurt, my friend- being quite familiar with casts, etc. on legs and the maddening itching when the hair you so carfully shaved off starts growing back in, I can highly recommend to you the flat plastic flexicuffs most police officers carry, or as equally effective at slipping between wrappings/casts and your itchy leg, and slightly textured so that they can scratch that itch easily, are the hard plastic flexible fasteners, that thread through one end; if you HAVE to, you can use a coat hangar, but
I don't recommend it- too easy to further damage any open areas. The biggest advantage are in the flexicuffs- they come in lengths long enough to go from the top of a leg cast all the way to your instep.
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

I'm so glad you are okay Kel! That sounds like it could've been much worse then it was :(. You have us all to whine to whenever you need it, of course. And make sure you get checked out soon! These doctors amaze me anymore with as many mistakes as they seem to be making. Heard about a couple more just last week...'ah you're okay' when something was really wrong. Geez guys!
(BTW...you just try to outpost Ms.Unemployee'd...can't happen..I'm too bored! hehe You don't have to worry about Skreamer much tho...as he's limited on internet availability right now! :)Pam
Hemp/skydiving jewelry pics!

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, ......
Oh could I write a BOOK on this one.
July 29th, I was minding my own business, flying my canopy... first jump on my new camera.. I am so proud of it I cant stand myself....... TRV11, bonehead mindwarp, top mount, just like my favorite friend who is #1 in the world..... I am so bad ass, I again, cant stand myself..........
CRASH
oopsieDay.!.. ...:o ...
Well, huh... thinking....I am not dead..... thats a good thing....
I try to get up... Nope you aint getting up says experienced jumper... Yes, I am!,.... No you are not....
blah, blah, blah.... going to have to cut off her jump suit.... I came un-freaking-glued.... I got outta my jumpsuit so fast you would thing the damn thing was on fire...
Long story short... just like you wet cast, ortho/sports med... out for long time.... got back to jumping... have some minor mental weirdness about crashing again... getting over it now...
My canopy was very rude that day... it had the nerve to fly over some tall pine trees and lose its air, it crashed, I didnt flare and plooped down about 4-6ft from the hard tarmac.
Oh hell yes... I have the whole thing on tape.... Me saying that I am alright... I can walk... I can drive... I can leap tall buildings in a single bound.... Whew... Stupid girl.....
Anyway, stuff like this you learn tons from. Like sitting my ass at home for a few weeks did wonders for my skydiving. I dont take anything for granted anymore. Not skydiving or my friends involved in the sport. It was a good thing for me.
Learning experiences are good, try to avoid broken stuff.
ME 5 boken things. 4 long bones in foot, one ligament in ankle ripped a bone off my tibia, now its a floater in my leg somewhere, ligments of foot are shredded into a ball in the palm of my foot, round place that hurts all the time,... Knee is wrecked, gotta wear a brace and get it surgically fixed when I get time. hehe...
the video where I broke stuff... "Ann' First Video!"
Skydive~Friends~Happiness
AirAnn
http://www.AirAnn.com

Bemmer Kel!! Suck down those pain pills, they do help. Not so much with the physical pain, they just make ya not care quite so much ;)
As for getting through the grounded time... watch videos, hang at the dz, post here, whatever you can put up with. I'm around jumpers all week long at work so I can deal with not being around them on the weekends; if I had a whuffo job I'd probably be at the dz hanging out right now.
Anyway, hang in there! Hope it's not all broken :)pull and flare,
lisa

thanks for the support guys.
now a favor: im stuck either painting at the dz or surfing the web for the most part. can you guys offer up any interesting web sites for me to check out? It doestn have to be skydiving related, i just want to see some cool stuff.
thanks!
kel
~me, after one too many

A few of my other favorites -
http://www.cybertown.com 3d and 2d chat in a virtual civilization. Homes, jobs, money, 3d items to buy and sell... I'm skiescall there; feel free to get your house close to mine - SciFi Colony/SF Creations hood/Martian Chronicles block.
http://www.majesticthegame.com Majestic - you don't play it, it plays you. The free demo is worth playing; it's $9.99 a month if the demo sucks you in like it did me. ;)
http://www.blogger.com Read people's weblogs, start your own.
http://www.halfbakery.com Lots of half-baked ideas here...
http://cad.chp.ca.gov/ Proof that Californian's are bad drivers... the CHP traffic info page.
pull and flare,
lisa

Majestic - you don't play it, it plays you. The free demo is worth playing; it's $9.99 a month if the demo sucks you in like it did me.

Too bad that the game goes offline after Jan 1. They are porting it to a CD-Rom version that contains the first 6 episodes and they "might" bring the online version back in the Spring if the CD-Rom sales are high enough.
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)