Xitesmai

Cookie G3, Bonehead Rev2, or Phantom XV?

I'll shortly be off student status and am looking for my first helmet.

I would like a full face with an audible pocket, but beyond that as long as it doesn't fog, has good visibility, and protects my noodle I'm not looking for too much.

I've kinda narrowed down my choices to the Cookie G3, Bonehead Rev2, and the Phantom XV. There is a Cookie rep at my local DZ so I can demo the G3, but I was looking for some pros / cons of these helmets.

Alot of folks at my DZ have G3's but I don't want to just drink the Kool-Aid because everyone else is.

Any help here?

All do the job. There is a long thread here about the BH...give a search and read.

I didn't like the latching mechanism on the Phantom...kind of shitty IMHO. But people like them so what do I know...

Like most I have a G3. Does everything I need. Light. Excellent viz, I like the latching mechanism. Sufficient for minor bumps and kicks. Happen to think it is an excellent product for what it does.

Whichever one fits your head the best if you have the opportunity to try them all on.

EDIT: here's the Rev2 thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4557473;search_string=rev2;#4557473

I strongly recommend the one that is the same shape as your head.

They're all good, but they aren't all the same shape. Try!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The G3 is really popular and getting lots of support right now, and it's a great helmet. That being said, I also think the Bonehead Rev2 is a great helmet.

I flew a Revolve for a while, and was planning a move to a Rev2 when a really good deal on a G3 popped up. A buddy was selling it to get a Rev2. I bought it due to the price and due to some personal short term goals. That being said, I am loving it, but it's a lot different than a Rev2.

The thought put into both helmets is very noticeable, but the thought was put towards different goals. Both are great helmets, and each has it's pros and cons, which can be elaborated on if so desired.

This isn't saying the Phantom XV isn't a good contender. People love it, but I haven't flown one. From examining and trying some on, I can tell you it appears to be a good contender and is designed with a mission more relative to the G3. I'd definitely get the XV with the improved ventilation. Playing around with one makes me want to try it out, but I don't see me switching because I feel the G3 fits that mission better.

Honestly, it's all dependent on what mission you're after. Determine that, and see what helmet best suits that task. Most importantly, try on as many as you can. If you have a gear shop near by, take advantage of it. If not, harass people at the DZ.

Fall0ut

Hope this does not turn into "vaporware" like the C6 Air..

On that note, I received an email from Sky Systems a week ago saying that the C6 was in the "final stages of testing" and that it would be available in 3-4 weeks. Of course, we've been hearing a similar story for a long time now, but perhaps it is indeed getting closer to release.