Patterson

New Javelin Rig Question

Finally, after waiting 3 months I got my new rig! I just tried it on and it feels a little tight in the shoulders. I feel a lot of pressure on my shoulders. Is that normal for a new rig or is it too small? If it is too small is it even possible to let it out half an inch? Thanks!

It feels like the weight is sitting awkwardly on my shoulders. When I stand up straight and walk around in it, it feels much heavier on me than the student rigs did. It's like the weight isn't distributed properly due to something being off. Then again, it may just be the shoulders in it are really stiff and are not giving way because of how new it is. Has anyone else experienced this before, and if so, was it all just a breaking in process or did you need it re-tailored (if it was even possible)?

Patterson

It feels like the weight is sitting awkwardly on my shoulders. When I stand up straight and walk around in it, it feels much heavier on me than the student rigs did. It's like the weight isn't distributed properly due to something being off. Then again, it may just be the shoulders in it are really stiff and are not giving way because of how new it is. Has anyone else experienced this before, and if so, was it all just a breaking in process or did you need it re-tailored (if it was even possible)?

Is it packed yet?

Wearing a rig that hasn't been packed with main and reserve won't be a very good indication of how it fits. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Once the rig is packed, take a front, side, and rear photo of you wearing it. If after packing it still doesn't 'fit right' email SunPath. The yoke may be too small. Their Customer service is pretty amazing.

But remember, student rigs usually have the hell jumped out of them. Fear sweat, rough landings, and 10 years in circulation, while trying to accommodate as many body types as possible lead to flattened padding and harnesses that fit well enough, but not perfectly.

Contact your dealer and they can talk you through.
"I love when humans fly,"

Patterson

Finally, after waiting 3 months I got my new rig! I just tried it on and it feels a little tight in the shoulders. I feel a lot of pressure on my shoulders. Is that normal for a new rig or is it too small? If it is too small is it even possible to let it out half an inch? Thanks!

which container size ?
which main and reserve do you have in it ?
how old is everything in terms of jumps ?

which harness size ?
how tall are you and how much do you weigh, and are you proportional ?

There are quite a few things that may make the rig feel tight :
* bad fit (duh !)
* new stiff rig
* new stiff rig packed with the largest possible canopies
* any rig packed with the largest possible canopies
* overstuffed "ears" on the reserve (more prominent in vector style freebags, but can still happen in a Javelin)

The list can be longer, but those are the most common things I've seen.

Give us the data.
Post pictures.
We, the internet experts, would love to solve this for you.

Also, Jav's like to cinched up in a specific manner.

Put it on, all straps loose.
Bend at the waist, and slightly lift the container up your ass.
Tighten the chest strap. Probably much tighter than you would have standing straight
Then straighten up, and do your leg straps.
Remster

Possibly, your main lift web (MLW) length has not been evaluated properly. Every rig manufacturer has its own way to perform those measurements. To do so, you have to stand up straight and have somebody takes the measurements, and better to do it twice. If the problem is persisting, return the rig to the manufacturer to change that.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Remster, your advice helped a lot. It still feels a little stiff, but when I did the chest strap first while bent forward it helped a good bit. I'm going to jump it a few dozen times and if it is still really uncomfortable, I'll contact Sunpath. I always did my legs first. Guess I'll need to switch that up. Thanks again guys.

Remster

Also, Jav's like to cinched up in a specific manner.

Put it on, all straps loose.
Bend at the waist, and slightly lift the container up your ass.
Tighten the chest strap. Probably much tighter than you would have standing straight
Then straighten up, and do your leg straps.

^ This, if you go on to Sunpath's website it actually shows you how to put a Jav on like this.
I Bought mine brand new and it felt really comfortable from day one but that could be because I have big round shoulders and the rigs I had jumped previously were made for the "average jumper". I could walk around in mine all day, I wouldn't, but I could if I needed to!