Alexg3265

Rigger course/testing in Florida

Can anyone refer me or tell me where I can go to take the practical and written riggers tests. I live in Naples, so the closer to that the better.
I'll have all my packjobs done and I'm fairly proficient on a sewing machine.
Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Google tells me:

Orlando FSDO-Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner

Mike Gainey
Deland, FL
(850) 623-1741 (H)
(850) 5163401 (C)

is one DPRE who can administer the practical. There may be others in the state--that is just what my google-fu turned up quickly. You can contact the FSDO closest to you and they should be able to tell you where to take the written and if there are DPRE's closer to you.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Alexg3265

Can anyone refer me or tell me where I can go to take the practical and written riggers tests. I live in Naples, so the closer to that the better.
I'll have all my packjobs done and I'm fairly proficient on a sewing machine.
Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

You would definitely get a great education at the Jumpshack course. Chuting Star also does courses but I don't know as much about them. I'd call both. The riggers who come out of the Jumpshack course earn every inch of their rigger's ticket and come out with strong skills. I think it is really smart that you are looking to do a course on top of the work you have already put in.

Alex3265,
Are you totally familiar with the Practical Test System list of Areas of Operation and the Tasks for each Area, I thru VI? Although I haven't counted the tasks, but there are probably 40 or 50 tasks to master.

Being able to demonstrate reserve packing is, of course, necessary, but only a small part of rigger training to prepare you for the Oral And Practical and the written. You would do yourself a service to purchase the Poynter/ Schlatter rigging course booklet. Purchase about $40? from Para Gear, and go thru all of the written chapters and the questions and answers. Then get yourself a big piece of fabric and attatch the tasks in the PTS. Although you probably already have them, in my opinion your must own a Poynter II and the Parachute Rigging Handbook. Your own books in your possession. About $85 each from ParaGear; Although the Parachute Rigger Handbook is free for color printing off the faa.gov websites. If you have already done this stuff these suggestions are unnecessary, but from your post it appears you only have good packing credentials and have done some sewing. Packing and sewing isn't enough. You have to accomplish all of the skills and have all of the knowledge. If these things are all you have done, I doubt you are ready for testing.

I've got the parachute riggers handbook and I'm looking at some of the different test prep options.

You basically pegged it, I've got some pack jobs, and I've done a lot of sewing. I'm totally not familiar with the practical test system list of areas of operation.

Where can I find a list of the practical tests?

I've seen the study guides for the written part. I'll get one soon.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Just to add to this:

Prior to your practical, you are going to have to get a signed letter from whoever supervised your progress stating that they think you are ready to test. You can find an example of what that letter needs to say in Poynters volume II. You are going to have to take that letter and your logbook to your local FSDO to get them to verify your experience (check your logbook) in order to get the form you need to take your written. You can take your written at any FAA testing station. Once you have both your form from the FSDO and your written results you can schedule your test with a DPRE.

Man, I was SOOOOOO lucky to be able to train under a former DPRE (Mark Kruse) here at our fantastic loft at work prior to testing. I was extremely prepared and killed the practical.

Chuck
WGS

Alexg3265

I've got the parachute riggers handbook and I'm looking at some of the different test prep options.

You basically pegged it, I've got some pack jobs, and I've done a lot of sewing. I'm totally not familiar with the practical test system list of areas of operation.

Where can I find a list of the practical tests?

I've seen the study guides for the written part. I'll get one soon.

There is an app for that!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groundschool-faa-knowledge/id381248445?mt=8

I used this as one of my tools to get ready for the written/oral exams. The app is buggy and I'm pretty sure at least one of the questions that they ask has a wrong answer. Also, I may have gotten it when it was brand new. That being said, it helped. I groused about the price for a couple of weeks but I ended up using it, especially when I was sitting around somewhere with nothing to do (waiting in the doctor's office or whatever). It is certainly not the only way I learned this stuff but it is one of the tools I used and I did well on my written/oral exams.

If anyone cares, I went last Saturday to take my practical with Nancy at jump shack. She was very nice and everything went smoothly. I'm officially a senior rigger! Yay!
Thanks for all the recommendations!