skytribe

PD Reserve

I just got a PD reserve from 91 to pack and its a multi colored reserve. I mean it Green/Black/Purple and Pink. I've seen many PD reserves but normally they are a solid color. I know some manufacturer like Precision allowed custom colored reserves just not seen anything like this from PD before.

I'm a little bit suspicious as there is not a full packing card with history on this reserve and only 17 pack jobs since 91 marked on the data panel.

Does it have an attachment point? If so it may possibly have been used as a demo for awhile. If not, it's always been a reserve.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skytribe

I just got a PD reserve from 91 to pack and its a multi colored reserve. I mean it Green/Black/Purple and Pink. I've seen many PD reserves but normally they are a solid color. I know some manufacturer like Precision allowed custom colored reserves just not seen anything like this from PD before.

I'm a little bit suspicious as there is not a full packing card with history on this reserve and only 17 pack jobs since 91 marked on the data panel.

As far as I know, most/all manufacturers accept custom reserve color orders. If you are trying to verify the canopy was manufactured by PD, pick up the phone and call them.

As for the number of pack jobs, good luck with that. On one side it isn't unusual for a rig or canopy to sit in a closet for years, thus making the age vs pack jobs seem out of ratio. On the other side, there's nothing stopping people from cheating on documentation.

If you purchased this canopy my advice would be to not purchase a 23 year old unit and then ask for advice on the internet.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

That was my suspicion but as there is no bridle attachment and no sign of their ever being one I'm fairly confident that this was not a demo canopy.

The data card with the reserve only goes back 4 pack jobs, the reserve data panel indicates 17 pack jobs. And even the last 4 pack jobs don't tally with the data panel. ie. Dated data panel square indicates one pack job in these last 4 was not marked.

I see this all too often where the data panel and packing cards do not match up - aren't riggers required to mark the data panel on each PD reserve repack ?

Perhaps the riggers in question think they are doing there customers a favor by not marking the pack jobs and therefore when there customer sells it will have a higher resale value. This is almost tantamount to winding the odometer back on a used car.

I didn't buy it but am repacking it for a customer who has just purchased it. As it isn't the usual block colors it peeked suspicion and with nothing to really verify a history all I have is what is in front of me. It looks in ok shape when inspected.

There certainly are a bunch of multicolor PD Reserves out there. PD moved to solid colors only and reduced the available color pallet to LBL,WHT, YEL a few year back. The company still has the capacity to build multicolor, and the fabrics to do so, but found that most customers that were requesting it were doing so from lack of knowledge. (ie. First time gear buyers wanting to match their gear.)
Having a reserve that tells others on your load, and those on the ground "hey look out, I'm on a reserve" certainly seems like a good idea.
If tomorrow someone wanted something other than a solid LBL, WHT, or YEL we would certainly entertain the discussion with them and build it if there was a valid reason to and thorough though process in the decision.

Al
Watch out for planters.

skytribe

I see this all too often where the data panel and packing cards do not match up - aren't riggers required to mark the data panel on each PD reserve repack ?

Last week I repacked an almost-new rig. It'd been assembled , packed, and sealed at the container manufacturer's loft. All boxes were blank on the PD reserve when I opened it. I'm not sure why people don't mark the boxes, but it seems very common

Last week I repacked an almost-new rig. It'd been assembled , packed, and sealed at the container manufacturer's loft. All boxes were blank on the PD reserve when I opened it. I'm not sure why people don't mark the boxes, but it seems very common

I see this a either

a. Being lazy
b. Being dishonest (and allowing the owner to mask the true history of the canopy upon resale)
c. Paper packing reserves (possible taking monies and not doing the work)
d. Being incompetent and not following manufacturers instructions.

The manufacturer wants this recorded so that when conditions are met the canopy can be tested and re-certified. This provides them with useful data on used or long time reserves. How can this reflect reality when riggers chose to ignore.

PD reserves are available in custom color patterns (though it's really unusual for someone to get as crazy as what you're describing). I've seen several two-colored PDRs. So as long as the warning label shows that it IS a pd reserve and a a rigger gives it a clean bill of health, other than it being ugly, you shouldn't have any worries. :)

as for the data card not matching the label, stuff happens to data cards - they get lost, or gear gets separated for sale and it goes with the container instead of the reserve (I had one customer whose data card was NEVER with his rig when he dropped it off, so he pretty much always had a card with one pack job on it that said "new data card"). So I wouldn't be too worried about them no matching. If you're concerned, though, you could call PD and ask if they'll do porosity testing on it to make sure the fabric is still in tip-top shape...

betzilla

PD reserves are available in custom color patterns (though it's really unusual for someone to get as crazy as what you're describing). I've seen several two-colored PDRs. So as long as the warning label shows that it IS a pd reserve and a a rigger gives it a clean bill of health, other than it being ugly, you shouldn't have any worries. :)

as for the data card not matching the label, stuff happens to data cards - they get lost, or gear gets separated for sale and it goes with the container instead of the reserve (I had one customer whose data card was NEVER with his rig when he dropped it off, so he pretty much always had a card with one pack job on it that said "new data card"). So I wouldn't be too worried about them no matching. If you're concerned, though, you could call PD and ask if they'll do porosity testing on it to make sure the fabric is still in tip-top shape...

If u separated a container and reserve to sell I would have thought the packing card goes with the container? So would probably happen alot
FTMC

A Lost card is one thing but what I'm talking about is pack jobs on the data card that are not marked on the panel.

The data panel is NOT lost. So not marking the panel is really not following the manufacturers requirements providing a history of the canopy.

As far as I'm aware the card goes with the reserve canopy not the container.

Can you give me good legitimate reasons for not following the manufacturers requirements and marking the data panel.

skez

the card show container details mods etc..reserve packs and add services and all that...I really thought the packing card stayed with the container?? Am I wrong

.................................................................................

Traditionally, the reserve packing data card goes with the reserve canopy. That is because containers wear out long before reserve canopies.
Most reserves get retired because they have fallen out of fashion (e.g. a 1980s vintage design).
OTOH most containers get retired because they wear out.

Can you give me good legitimate reasons for not following the manufacturers requirements and marking the data panel.

I'm a pretty big fan of following instructions. But as you know, there are a LOT of people who really have a hard time even reading, let alone following, written instructions.

somebody posted earlier that they have a reserve on which the first box wasn't marked at assembly. Did you know that PD reserves used to only have 39 boxes, and the label used to say to mark it every time the reserve is RE-packed?

And yes, the card should stay with the reserve, but lots of people don't know that....

riggerrob

***the card show container details mods etc..reserve packs and add services and all that...I really thought the packing card stayed with the container?? Am I wrong

.................................................................................

Traditionally, the reserve packing data card goes with the reserve canopy. That is because containers wear out long before reserve canopies.
Most reserves get retired because they have fallen out of fashion (e.g. a 1980s vintage design).
OTOH most containers get retired because they wear out.the french do it different. They have separate papers for each component, and will stay with said component after resell.
-container
-reserve canopy
-main canopy
-AAD
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

******the card show container details mods etc..reserve packs and add services and all that...I really thought the packing card stayed with the container?? Am I wrong

OTOH most containers get retired because they wear out.the french do it different. They have separate papers for each component, and will stay with said component after resell.
-container
-reserve canopy
-main canopy
-AAD

Agreed!
If you are polite, you send photo-copies of the old reserve packing data card with all the different parts (harness, AAD, reserve) when you sell them separately.
Given the profusion of photo-copiers, iPhones, etc. there is no excuse for not including the maintenance history.