jfields

Online Logbooks - Any Interest?

Okay, here is my idea. Comments, suggestions, but no flames please....
I've put my logbook online. I'm storing it in a database, so it is sortable, searchable, etc. You can take a look at it here .
If I spiffed the reports up some, would anyone be interested in keeping their logbooks online? Well aside from me, because I'm a geek?
I could set this up so anyone that wanted could enter information into the database and have "their own" pages to view their logbooks. It could be put in a frame in your website so it would basically look like it was part of your site.
I understand that people with thousands of jumps are just not going to go and type all that stuff in, but are any relative newbies interested in this feature? You could also each have a statistics page like mine .
It would be a reasonable amount of work getting it set up, so I wouldn't do it unless there was sufficient interest. I wouldn't be charging either, so you'd have to be patient with me. In the words of the Head Honcho, "This ain't no damned democracy". :)Thoughts? Comments?
Justin
My Homepage

I have something like that, too. See the URL below.
It's not searchable yet, but I'm working on that.
Oh, btw: your site gave me this:
Database Results Error
Description: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '>'.
Number: -2147217900 (0x80040E14)
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers

Isn't Micro$oft great...
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

If anyone wants to put time in and write one that can integrate into the current Dropzone.com user database (mySQL) - then I'll gladly host it ;) I've had a few offers down these lines before but it never seems to pan out...
Having your private logbook online is cool, but databases really only become useful once you can start mining them for analysis. i.e. - "show me the average freefall time for 4 ways launced from 15 grand" (not sure what that's good for but you get the idea)
Think about creative ways to get the data from a Pro-Track (and others) into your db and it'll open a few more doors. Anyway, just thinking out loud.....
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Sangiro,
I'm too much of a lazy bum to write one that would work on your site with your database. My ProTrack is on the way (from the Rabid Canopy Nazi ;)), so I'll start messing with that soon. As for the stats, I've started some of that on my stats page. It could turn into the type of thing you are talking about if people want to log that much detail.
Justin
My Homepage

While we're at it, why not build an online OLAP cube against it? =) I can build an online logbook for anybody using ASP and SQL/DB2, but the remaining question is:
Will DZOs accept electronic logbook entries, and what authority will determine that an eletronic witness is valid?
The e-stuff is good for keeping your own records, but when you are < 100 jumps and want to float around to other DZs, you are usually (depending on whose running the place) asked to produce your logbook, and the signatures and USPA numbers are looked at.
That said, I do hate keeping up with the logbook, and it sucks when I forget to bring it to the DZ and have to write stuff down on stratch pads and staple it in the book later. Since I take my HP Journada with me everywhere, I've written a small utility for the PocketPC that helps me remind myself what I've done so I can write it down in case I forget to lug around that black spiral.
-C
In God We Trust. All others pay cash.

Once the data was in, it would be easy to run queries, or use OLAP.
Personally, I was never considering electronic logbook entries as any form of replacement for the signed paper ones. I can't imagine any DZO accepting it. But for those geeks among us, it is easier to share an online logbook than a paper one. And your whuffo friends (if any ;)) can read about what they are missing.
Justin
My Homepage