wildjump

Sewing Lines

Sewing a finger trapped line? I don't have a bar tack machine, I have a Singer 301 zigzag. It's a bear when I sew lines and it's really finnicky. I've gone through it, timed it, and tried many adjustments. I have good mechanical skills, but mixed results. What is the right feed dog, tension, and presser foot to get the best results? Pictures would help. Riggers only please.

Hint: sew together a jig.
Start with 2 pieces of webbing (about the same thickness as your suspension line) 6 or 8 inches long.
The webbing will give the feed dogs something to grip.

Squeeze a piece of suspension line between them and sew "bridges across the ends. "Bridges" can be made of any scrap webbing. If you pay close attention to the length of the presser foot and distance between bridges. you can use that distance to set the length of your stitch pattern.

To begin with, a Singer 301 is a straight stitch only machine. There is no 301 zigzag. Not much detail on your problem here. What kind of line are you trying to sew, and what does it mean to be a bear?

But in general Rob's suggestion to make a jig can be very helpful in two ways. It solves the problem of the line being too thin to be fed properly by the feed dogs. And it also keeps the work centred so the needle can catch it.

A foot with a groove in the bottom for the line is ideal, but I've only seen this on commercial high shank ZZ feet. (you could make one with a dremel tool) Look for any ZZ machine that has a section of feed dog in the middle directly behind the needle. Tension and pressure should be as light as needed for the job, as always.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Since the yarns in the line weave back and forth, if necessary you can just run two passes of straight stitch about two inches long. Done it many times now; never any problems. Keep tension on both ends of the line and help it feed, and with practice you won't even need the tool mentioned above.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan