Carbon8

Gear Bag Options Carry-on Vs Checked

Looking for some options for a good quality gear bag, something large enough to hold all my gear (Rig, Helmet, Altimeter, Suit, etc..)

I travel a lot for work, mostly overseas trips and am now starting to get to the point where I want to Jump everywhere I go. (Europe, Beijing, Australia). Something big enough to have enough campartments to isolate the rig from other gear, but hopefully something small enough to still be a carry-on (22x14x9) is the max legal size which is about a 46L bag by most companies. Now I found the Dakine 65L split roller to be about the perfect bag as far as design and compartment structure but it is slightly to large (28x14x12)

http://www.zappos.com/dakine-split-roller-65l

What is everyone else using that travels a lot? Also if I cannot find anything that suits my needs small enough in a carry on what precautions do I need to take if I need to check the bag (Or is this too risky in general and should no even be an option)

Most rigs will fill a roll aboard with not much room to spare. I could stuff my small wingsuit in and that would be about it. If you try and fill the outside pockets of a roller bag, that often makes the bag too tall and won't fit into the overhead. And an audible that goes off at 1000 feet will scare the shit out of the flight crew.

I found an oldskool commuter style backpack that unzips on 3 sides so I can easily place my rig in, fold the leg straps, lay in a suit as well. The pockets are on the sides of the bag so if I put stuff in them, I can still get the bag to fit in the overhead.

One problem with putting a whole bunch of stuff in one bag to carry on, security will want to see what that black spot is on their scanner screen, the AAD. The bag gets opened and now you will have to repack all your carefully packed expensive gear after they have searched through it.

When I travel with my gear, I take 2 rigs, both carry on. One goes in a tight fitting stash bag that can fit under the seat. Nothing else in that bag. Second one goes in that commuter bag with maybe one tightly packed wingsuit and my logbook and USPA and FAA document explaining why a rig is OK to bring aboard aircraft. Nothing else. All other jump gear is in a gear bag that gets checked on. Including the hook knives. If that bag gets lost, I can beg/borrow/buy the small odds and sods at the DZ. Having a rig that fits is a much bigger challenge.

When I check my bag, I zip tie the sliders together on all the zippers. It keeps them from accidentally opening and lets me know if it got opened for inspection. Several times, after seeing a missing zip tie, I have found a paper left inside saying the bag was searched.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Where do I get the FAA documents for the AAD?

The carry-on dimensions are really variable, I fly United mostly and their size limit is 22x14x9, but other carriers will allow 24x16x10 so as long as I am within that range I doubt I will have a problem unless its a short flight and a small plane in which case they make you gate check most all bags, but those get handed right back after you land. I do have a larger rig (J4.5K w/ 210 Main/218 reserve and am particular about my gear and organization so if I wanted it all in one bag I need one that will be larger)

The other benefit of getting something large enough means I can use it locally as well as I have 3 local DZ's I jump at and many more within a days drive so its just convenient to be able to carry everything in one location and not worry about forgetting anything

Another option I found was a Patagonia (24x15x9) Although a bit pricey.

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-transport-roller-60l

Also when you do check your rig, do you do anything special to secure the pins/flaps/handles etc... so if it does get inspected you know wither or not those where touched.

Before you buy a gear bag, find a box or cut one to size matching any size roller bag you think might work. See if your gear will fit. A larger rig like yours can be a challenge. My girlfriend changed rigs. Her Wings would fit in her roller case. Her new Infinity was a different shape and would not fit in the same case.

Airlines are also starting to get more strict on carry on sizing. It is a money maker as it forces you to check on another bag. A friend posted a picture of how just the handle of his roll aboard was outside of the "your bag must fit in here to take aboard" size checker thingy. They charged him for oversize.

I have gone through a bunch of different gear bags. I do like the style you posted of the Dakine drop bottom. Costco used to have some decent ones for around $40. They would last about 2 years of hard abuse before the zippers or wheels would break. They now sell the "FUL" labeled brand. Absolute crap. I now look for bags at the flea market. For the number I have bought, most likely could have got a good quality/expensive one for the same price and not be afraid it would break when traveling.

There is a thread somewhere on here with an attachment of the FAA doc that explains what the policy is on the AAD. Just takes a while to find it. I'll leave that up to you.:P

When I travel, I want to make sure the TSA folks don't accidentally pull the reserve rip cord when they handle the gear to swab it. I wrap the chest strap through the d-ring handle a bunch of times and tie a pull up cord around the strap. No way it can be pulled. And when it comes time to use the gear, there is no way I can forget to remove the protection because I have to use my chest strap. Never tie the d-ring down by itself because if you forget to remove it, it is really hard to do it at 120mph with the planet rushing towards you.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I will spend some time looking for the FAA doc.

Yeah measurements are a must, I have an old J5K rig at the moment I can use for reference until my new one arrives.

I just really like the idea of a split bag with enough room on both the bottom and top panels to isolate the rig from the rest of the gear. Not many bags like that on the market.

On the plus I fly so much I get up to 3 free checked bags up to 75lbs so thats never a concern as well a premier boarding so first dibs on overheads ;)

Once you've been a few places and got yourself known (and bought the beer) you might be able to borrow a rigs and save you the hassle of taking your own. Rigs on hand luggage can be a real chore at security, especially these days... Mine go checked every time now.

Back when I used to do big ways and camps, the recommendation was that you make sure your jumpsuit made it with you; the rig was secondary to that. Because, particularly at an event, the chance of someone loaning you a rig that fits is far greater than finding a jumpsuit that fits.
That said, for individual travel, there's also the option of making (or having made) a soft bag that will hold just what you need, within the required measurements.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I check one in on in an Ogio 9800 gear bag. Only downside is its a bit on the heavy side so for 23kg it covers sky and BASE rig two helmets, suits, and spares kit. Im going to see if I can find a lighter model with the same protection SLED on the back.

I also care oneone rig on board with XL PD gear bag which I can stash a heap of gear in as well.

Just had a devil of a time getting through security with my rig in STL. No way, no how was I getting through there without opening both my main and reserve for full inspection. No way, no how was I opening my reserve! We had a 60 minute stand-off. I had the AAD x-ray card and TSA letter. Made no difference. I refused to budge, even after they pushed a huge bunch of metal tables together so that I would have plenty of space (?). Finally, the off-airport bomb experts arrived and confirmed what I'd been telling these fools! Give yourself plenty of time to get through security and stand your ground when they ask for unreasonable rig searches. I also got to have a full body search in the bargain. Made the final boarding call for our flight. That was not a happy start to our travels!

I've used the Sky Systems gear bag with no problems. The large version used to fit my old rig (260 Main), helmet and jumpsuit. However, I had to take out the helmet to make the bag fit in the overhead compartment. So far the bag is holding up although the zipper handles are flimsy.

http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000140/N12344/SKY-SYSTEMS-GEAR-BAG-LARGE

Im in the same boat, trying to figure out which is the best option for a travel gear bag for oversea travel. Id like to also keep my rig as a carry on.
here are the two options that Im trying to decide on.
http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000140/N1231/

and

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/rigsleeve-gear-backpack

anyone have any experience with either of these options??

That sounded like a bad day, I know its hit or miss, my brother just shoulder strapped his rig from buffalo to Arizona and never had an issue. All depends on the TSA guys you get I suppose, but if worst comes to worst I will always check my gear before opening it up in the airport.

monkycndo

Made it easy for you. From TSA. Good for within USA only.

TSA information

Advice from USPA on traveling with rig.

The last few pages of the Cypres User Guide contains paperwork from a number of countries (e.g. UK, Australia, Germany, France, USA, etc.) regards the Cypres unit. Might be worth having a printed set handy in the rig bag

We shoulder strapped rigs through a few different US airports last week with no issue. One security checkpoint wiped them down for residue, the other, not even that.

I wonder if the fact that we had them completely out rather than in bags, coupled with the fact that there were two of us together made any difference?

Crazy to hear how security procedures can differ so much.
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Ive honestly had more questions asked about my rig once I started putting it in a stash bag to take as carry on.

I only started putting my rig in a stash bag after having some drama about the weight limit for carry on luggage. The limit seems to be 7kg for a lot of airlines. Most rigs weight at least 10kg. So i put mine in a stash bag just in case they want to weigh the carry on.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Oh STL....I wish I had the energy to type the full story of trying to carry my rig on there...

long story short, had a hell of time getting into terminal 1 with my rig, only to realize (extremely hungover) that I needed to be in terminal 2 :o:|:D:S

that airport is a fucking joke

homesickalien13

I've used the Sky Systems gear bag ..t. So far the bag is holding up although the zipper handles are flimsy.

http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000140/N12344/SKY-SYSTEMS-GEAR-BAG-LARGE

.....................................................................................

Weak zipper pulls are a common problem.
The problem is that people load them sideways, when trying to close tight luggage.
The trick is to tie a piece of cord or tape onto them BEFORE they break. Then, only pull on the cord. If you only pull on the cord, the metal zipper pulls will last twice as long.

Ive never had any real issues, just some time consuming questions. Had to open the main pack tray for swabbing once. Think the most important thing is how you react to security, if your a dick, you get treated like one.

For the first time in years I checked my rig in, and sure enough it got lost in thailand for a few days.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

saftey1st

Im in the same boat, trying to figure out which is the best option for a travel gear bag for oversea travel. Id like to also keep my rig as a carry on.

and

I just got the medium-sized Sky Systems bag. I haven't carried my rig on with it yet, but it does fit nicely into the overhead compartment when full of stuff.

I live in Turkey, and have flown back and forth to the U.S. several times with my rig in checked baggage. Funny, TSA in the U.S. always seems to open my personal suitcase, but has never left me a note in my gear bag. The one I use for checking my rig is the older versioin of this:
Eddie Bauer bag.

The lower compartment is hard-side, and is used only for the rig. Once I zip that closed, the helmet, jumpsuits, shoes, and loose-ends box (small box with log book, gloves, alti, jump tickets, spare stows, etc), gets fit around the shape made by the rig, in the upper compartment. (I hope that description made sense). I also usually put the AAD instruction sheet right on top of the rig in the lower compartment, with my flight information (seat numbers, etc) so they can call me if anyone on any stage of my trip has any questions. However, I never once had an issue with checking my rig through like that.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

***Im in the same boat, trying to figure out which is the best option for a travel gear bag for oversea travel. Id like to also keep my rig as a carry on.

and

I just got the medium-sized Sky Systems bag. I haven't carried my rig on with it yet, but it does fit nicely into the overhead compartment when full of stuff.

I live in Turkey, and have flown back and forth to the U.S. several times with my rig in checked baggage. Funny, TSA in the U.S. always seems to open my personal suitcase, but has never left me a note in my gear bag. The one I use for checking my rig is the older versioin of this:
Eddie Bauer bag.

The lower compartment is hard-side, and is used only for the rig. Once I zip that closed, the helmet, jumpsuits, shoes, and loose-ends box (small box with log book, gloves, alti, jump tickets, spare stows, etc), gets fit around the shape made by the rig, in the upper compartment. (I hope that description made sense). I also usually put the AAD instruction sheet right on top of the rig in the lower compartment, with my flight information (seat numbers, etc) so they can call me if anyone on any stage of my trip has any questions. However, I never once had an issue with checking my rig through like that.

Seeing how bagagehandlers do their job loading/unloading the planes where people can see them always makes me wonder what goes on below the airport :S

Would suck if you found out at 700 feet that the AAD does not work because someone was throwing your rig around.

Yup, don't be a dick and try to be helpful if they don't know what to do.

My routine if a TSA starts getting jumpy about my rig is to say " I bet you don't see many of these here. Do you want to grab a supervisor and anyone else who is available so I can give you a tour of this sport parachute system and you can take a look at protocols again?" It usually goes well, though I have had to be firm but polite at times.

If they reach for the reserve handle, I don't shout stop or don't or anything. I say careful, pulling that costs me $60 and ruins my vacation. If they sass back, I explain the need for a FAA approved rigger to pack the reserve, and the time money and care involved. That usually gets their attention. Just deescalate and inform at each step in the interaction. It helps. But some people are just dicks, and I wouldn't put it past one of the more outstandingly dickish agents to pull a reserve precisely to ruin someone's day. You can't really give any advise about those people, other than be unquestionably right in your actions and responses and then fight back through appropriate and accountable channels. Get the dick fired, even if it takes a while