jdamico03

Grell Fab GoPro Mount

One person at my DZ uses it. I asked him what he thinks because I am considering to go with it for my first camera mount, and he likes it.
So once I'll have money for a G3+GoPro+Mount (1000 dollars later? lol) I think I'll give it a go.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

jdamico03

Has anyone used the Grell Fab gopro mount that goes on the front of the G3 helmet? If so, how did you like it? Can you adjust the angle of the camera? Thoughts?

http://www.grellfab.com/product/3-3housing-gopro-hero33-on-cookie-g3

I use it and like it a lot.

Pros:
*MUCH less of a snag hazard due to better position - you don't have to adjust your deployment sequence to account for it
*easy cutaway (pull DOWN not out...)
*doesn't make you obstruct your view by forcing you to keep your G3 visor in your field of view
*can see if camera is "blinking" without asking someone on the plane, keeps more attention on skydive and less on camera. People are collecting $100+ for a hypeye kickstarter for this exact functionality when it's so simple - there's a blinking light on top of the GoPro that you can see.
*doesn't make you crouch an extra three inches in the plane

Cons:
*fixed camera angle
*real pain to attach the mount to the helmet the first time you do it. You will be cursing. I promise.
*full load = I may have to face sideways

Other questions I've been asked:

*It doesn't obstruct view of your handles.

I haven't had noticed any jitteryness yet, but I'm not good enough to be going 300 mph headdown either, so who knows.

If you're not a super-serious videographer, this is in my opinion the best mounting option for a GoPro out there. If you are a super serious videographer, you're probably not using a GoPro anymore.

Arvoitus

Am I getting this right? The 500+$ camera is held in place by a single rubber band?

Two rubber bands. And it's freakishly secure. I've already taken a blow to the face with it on. The mount flipped and I got some nice video of my chest and legs on landing...

Yes and I love mine! It is stationary, so no angle adjustments. I haven't experienced it "shaking". Its been solid video, but I am a belly flyer, so I have not taking it on high speed jumps.

You kinda look like a dork, cause it isn't the "cool" place to place a camera, but the safety factor of the cutaway and less of a snag hazard in my opinion is totally worth it. With the mount being on the chin I think the likelihood of having to cutaway is greatly reduced versus the top of the head; however, if a cutaway is necessary I like the peace of mind that I can get rid of that $400 camera with mount versus sacrificing my life.

Now note that you cannot use the housing with the mount, so you don't want to use it in potential misty or wet conditions and I highly recommend you get the additional GO PRO protective lens in case you skid in a landing. they are $20 for two of them and better to scratch that than your actual lens.

I have been told if I was in serious 4 way that it would get kicked, but I'm not and if someone is that close to my face we have bigger issues to tend to.

Yes when you are mounting it for the first time you will have choice words, it is a pain! I have a G2 and the short stow bands that they provided and say they've tested the G2 with I couldn't physically get it on. I even placed my foot in the helmet and pulled with all my might and I could not get the short stow bands on. I think because the spacing between the vents is larger on the G2 than the G3, so I used the standard stow bands instead and it is still pretty tight.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

ELLIOTT

And you stay in your rig with another rubber band

What rubberband might that be?
I don't have any rubberbands on my rig.
The closest thing to a rubberband is the elastic webbings that keep the chest- and legstraps from flapping in the wind, but none of them are very crucial.

Arvoitus

Am I getting this right? The 500+$ camera is held in place by a single rubber band?

Do you think that a thin piece of shitty plastic that comes with a camera is any safer?

About mount - seems very durable, but a little bit overpriced :(

achikin

***Am I getting this right? The 500+$ camera is held in place by a single rubber band?

Do you think that a thin piece of shitty plastic that comes with a camera is any safer?

About mount - seems very durable, but a little bit overpriced :(

I stopped using those after I broke 2 or 3 them.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I've had the mount for my G2 for ~100 jumps, and I'm very pleased with it.
I had it knocked 90 degrees sideways on a jump, but there was far from any risk of losing the camera, and I would much rather take that force out on two rubber bands than on my neck.

I really can't say anything bad about it, it seems to be the best mount option for G2/G3 helmets by far (which is why I bought it in the first place).

jdamico03

Has anyone used the Grell Fab gopro mount that goes on the front of the G3 helmet? If so, how did you like it? Can you adjust the angle of the camera? Thoughts?

http://www.grellfab.com/product/3-3housing-gopro-hero33-on-cookie-g3

I have ~200 jumps with mine. I love it. Get one. It's just smart.

I jump in the rainy northeast of the USA and got the uncovered version and would HIGHLY recommend doing so unless there's a good chance you are going to literally land in water (that having been said I took mine to bridge day as well). I've flown through plenty of clouds and soggy days with mine.

Three advantages of getting the naked mount:
1. It weighs less. Less weight = good.
2. You can see the blinking red light at the top of the camera. This is actually a super super useful side effect of a Grellfab mount - I've never said "Is it blinking?" on a plane. Keeps attention on skydive where it belongs.
3. No case to fog up on you.

One disadvantage:
You cannot land in water.

Can anyone who has seen both, recommend which of the G3 and Kiss mounts seems better?

I will convert one of these into a GoPro carrier for the season coming up and don't particularly mind which... the fronts of the helmets are different though so it might mean the mounts behave differently. Or does it not matter?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?