homiefly

requirements for master rigger

Be at least 18 years old.

Have three years of rigging experience. Doesn't have to be as a senior rigger.

Read, write, speak, and understand English.

Pack 100 each of two types of reserve parachutes, under the supervision of a rigger or riggers rated for those types. Most civilians go for 100 back reserves and 100 seat reserves; most military go for 100 back reserves and 100 chest reserves.

Pass a 50-question multiple-choice test if you're not already a senior rigger.

Pass an oral and practical test.

Mark

mark

Be at least 18 years old.

Have three years of rigging experience. Doesn't have to be as a senior rigger.

Read, write, speak, and understand English.

Pack 100 each of two types of reserve parachutes, while a certificated and appropriately rated senior parachute rigger or under the supervision of a rigger or riggers rated for those types. Most civilians go for 100 back reserves and 100 seat reserves; most military go for 100 back reserves and 100 chest reserves.

Pass a 50-question multiple-choice test if you're not already a senior rigger.

Pass an oral and practical test.

Mark

Fixed it for you Mark. And of course one or those 100 could be Lap.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

And of course one or those 100 could be Lap.;)

Rub it in man, just rub it in...:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Check the sticky at the top of the Gear and Rigging forum list.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I really don't understand why it has to be in two disciplines (Back + Chest/Seat/Lap etc.) I got a chest rating in case I ever wanted to go for a master riggers ticket... but finding a chest rig to pack 100 times just to get my masters and then never touch a chest rig again is just silly.
Woot Woot!

Think of it a round and ram air. That's what some of us think it will become and an FAA employee proposed internally. I have a brand new one pin chest for jumping, several old ones, and several seats for training purposes, as well as three or four backs with rounds in addition.to.ram air rigs.

And 80% of my work is seats. :P

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Originally, the Federal Air Regulations were written around military-surplus, pilot emergency parachutes.

The FARS were written partially to allow retired veterans to easily earn civilian licenses and quickly find work. For example, an Army rigger might have packed thousands of chest reserves, but never even seen a seat-pack.
OTOH a retired US Navy rigger might have packed thousands of seat-packs, but never even seen a chest reserve. The biggest difference was the mass of precise hand-stitching needed to assemble a military-pattern seat-pack.
Modern civilian seat-PEPs (Butler, National, Softie, Strong, etc.) require one per cent of the hand-stitching compared with MIL SPEC seat packs.

All the military-surplus PEPs contained round canopies and squares had not been invented yet, hence no distinction between different types of canopies.

The US military quit selling intact PEPs 30-some-odd years ago, but there are still enough in service that the FAA still has to "keep them on the books."
Yes, the FARS are long over-due for update (to Canadian or Swiss or ????) standards, but until Al Queda retire, there will be little pressure on the FAA to update complex regulations that have worked well (e.g. low fatality rate) for decades.

In comparison, I have packed about 40 chest reserves, over 400 seat PEPs and 4,000 plus back-type reserves.

Most of those chests were for the USCG when I worked for Butler.
Most of those seat-packs were modern (Butler, National, Security, Softie, Strong, etc.) PEPs when I worked for Butler and Para-Phernalia.